“Excellent venue”
Review of La Jolla Playhouse

La Jolla Playhouse
Ranked #13 of 78 things to do in La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: Theater on the UC San Diego campus.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just saw The Who & The What play - loved everything about it. I had a seat up in the left side of the balcony by the stage and was able to see very clearly. The use of the stage, the actors, and the play were top notch.

All reviews
"cutting edge"
"san diego"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The play I saw was excellent. Really enjoyed it. My lower review has more to do with the price and the theater. It's small, which usually means every seat is good, but if you are on the sides of the balcony, the view is not good. I got one of those seats because it looked like everything else was full on the web site. A lot of people must have decided not to show because there were many empty seats and after a few minutes, I got up and went to one of the better seats in the balcony. By intermission, my backside hurt. Those seats in the balcony are hard as a rock! Maybe the seats on the main floor are better. For $50, I hope they are. During the second half of the play, I fidgeted a lot and noticed the person next to me did too. It definitely took away from my enjoyment of the show. In addition, I had to pay for parking, which I don't have to do at The Old Globe in Balboa Park. And the drinks were super expensive; nine dollars for a glass of cabernet. I know La Jolla is a pricey little neighborhood in general, so I will be avoiding this theater next time, even if the plays are good. I'd rather go to the comfy Old Globe, with soft seats, free parking, and $7 wine.

1  Thank RottHound
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Always a pleasure. Nice view from anywhere in the theatre which is great. Cool evening outing when in San Diego, and always put on a nice show!

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

La Jolla playhouse is located in UCSD. There is ample parking near by. The facilities are very nice and new. They also bring in interesting acts and plays.