“Aloha Hour - A Great Deal”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 1,237 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nobel Drive (University Town Center's Costa Verde Shopping Center)
Transit: Bus stop within walking distance
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Yes, you have to dine early, but for those wanting more of Roy Yamaguchi's great cooking without paying a lot, the Aloha Hour specials give you just the tastes you want at an affordable rate. You get a choice of 6 of the best apps and any cocktail - each is just $6. The ambience is upscale and fun, though this bar was a bit noisy.

Get there early for this - only bar seating qualifies, so when they are full, they are full. And people don't leave, so you can't viably wait in line. Check it out - you can find the hours and info on Roy's web site. The best way to get a 'taste' of Roy's.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Recently I had an opportunity to try Roy Yamaguchi's new concept in La Jolla. It was GREAT. I was pleased to see many of Roy's signature dishes, but even more delighted by the updated cuisine on this new menu.

For my evening I began with the BBQ Hamachi Kama. It came with a little pickled cucumber salad and it was delicious. At $9.95 it was also a bargain. For my entrée, I went with the Sea Bass. It's one of my favorites and this entrée did not disappoint. The fish was perfectly cooked and came with baby vegetables and a wild mushroom pan sauce.

My husband, ever the traditionalist stuck with some of Roy's signature dishes - the Lakanilau Roll and Blackened Island Ahi. But he also had the Blistered Shishito Peppers as an appetizer and they were terrific!

We were told by our waiter that the entire restaurant had recently been remodeled and we found it to be a comfortable, inviting room. We'll certainly be back on a future visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I really like the place. Service is excellent, food is superb and menu is exciting. The atmosphere is good and the interior is great. I had Roy's trio as entree and melting hot chocolate souffle as desert and it was all fantastic. The portions are not huge but fine. The only negative thing about this place I found was the televisions in the bar. I find it very strange to have big tv screens in such a nice place.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Read the reviews and I was surprised. We went last night for our anniversary - we were greeted by name, the menus said Happy Anniversary (nice touch) with several sayings on love. We had potstickers and pork belly appetizers and split the shrimp salad, which was very light with plenty of shrimp, avo, capers and a nice lime vinagrette. I had the butterfish (my favorite), which was flavorful and perfectly cooked. My husband had the prix fixe - his mahi mahi was moist and the short ribs were excellent. Service was attentive and the new managing partner, Sid, came by to talk to us about our meal and to wish us a happy anniversary. He did say he just started two days earlier, so maybe we were the recipients of the new management? They also took a celebratory picture of us and gave it to us as we left. All and all, a lovely evening.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Haven't been here for a long time. Way to noisy in the past. Went to lunch on Oct 11,13. They have raised the ceiling and put in a carpet so the noise level was much better.
Ordered Lobster pot stickers to share, I had the avocado salad with shrimp with caper lime vinegerette, My husband had Mac Nut crusted mahi mahi. The pot stickers were good. They love to use togarashi seasoning and they douse it over everything. My avocado salad had no avocado at all and 100 capers. With the capers, feta cheese, and that seasoning my mouth was coated in salt. My husband's mahimahi was so well done and dry that he flipped it over and it was next to burned. We sent it back. It too was covered in the seasoning and salt. I am still drinking water today. This had to be amateur cooks in the kitchen, they would never be called chefs. It is too bad Roy's name has to be so sullied.
Won"t be back.