“Profession bucket list”

Ranked #15 of 78 things to do in La Jolla
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is on my professional bucket list of international science destinations. Nerdy - yes a bit, but the Salk is a story of architecture way ahead of its time, generosity and our ability to harness science to heal the sick. Take the tour. The volunteers are wonderful. Our guide was a retired architect and he pointed out all of the features of the structures, materials, layout and purpose of the buildings and took us all over the site. Thankyou Kendall. Our tour group are science nerds so they just loved it. We all wanted to go back and do our PhD's all over again.

2  Thank Gallasingery

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited Salk Institute primarily for the architectural aspect - given that we're fans of Louis Kahn's work. Our tour included a scientific backdrop of the extensive work being performed at the institute by an attending scientist, in addition to an architectural tour of the grounds - which were absolutely stunning.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I visited Salk Institute on a cloudy day in August. It was the last day they had the noon tour before they took a break to prepare for an upcoming symphony. After checking at the visitor info desk, there was a brief presentation in the hall way about the general work there. A young researcher talked candidly about the studies and experiments on learning the behaviors of cancer cells and efforts to culture stem cells so they can be implanted back to become healthy, specialized cells in a different organ. I liked her presentation even though I didn’t understand all the specifics and specialized terms but I did learned more about the processes and the main concepts. I thought it was interesting and useful.

The second part of the tour was a walking tour with a retired architect, Kendall Mower. He passionately went over the history of Salk, the architects behind it, and many thoughtful, symbolic meanings of the structures in the buildings. The view of the entire the courtyard was very pretty. The calm atmosphere, the wonderful smell of ocean air gave me a sense of peace and connection to nature. The majestic but cozy tall walls on the sides made me feel sheltered from the hectic world outside. Time seemed to slow down here. It was definitely a good place to get back focus and clarity.

The whole tour was a little bit over one hour. I think the campus is closed on weekends. There is not a full gift shop here, just a few items available for purchase displayed on a shelf in the hall way by the check- in desk. I appreciate Salk’s policy to allow visitors to come and have a closer look at its great cause and also to enjoy the magnificent view of its campus. I would recommend the tour and a visit here.

6  Thank JJ202013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This must be an awesome place to do science. Breathtaking architecture with magnificent views of the Pacific, accompanied by an impressive scientific legacy and buzz.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Reserve early as it books in advance, but don't be too discouraged if your dates are full. Just keep calling everyday, there is sure to be a cancellation! It worked for us and I am so glad! If you enjoy the tour and want to learn more about the architect, you might check out the film his son produced, "My Architect". It's a very well done documentary.

2  Thank FrequentTraveler789