“Fabulous View, Food So-So”

George's at the Cove
Reserve with OpenTable
George's at the Cove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ivanhoe
Description: George's at the Cove is a renowned three-level dining destination located in the heart of La Jolla overlooking the Pacific Ocean and northern coastline. We offer three distinct restaurant and bar concepts – one fine dining and two casual – with stunning ocean views and award-winning cuisine. Known for its splendid rooftop setting, the popular George’s Ocean Terrace – complete with a newly expanded and elevated bar – offers casual al fresco fare for lunch and dinner that is perfectly complemented by sweeping ocean views. Recently reinvented from floor to ceiling, the all-new George’s Level2 – located on the second level – is elevating the craft of cocktails with housemade ingredients and handcut ice. Featuring all the classics and innovative modern creations, like the signature Sea3, Level2 offers a variety of cocktails well-suited to any taste. On the lower level, George's California Modern is a contemporary fine dining restaurant and bar featuring seasonally-driven California cuisine. Guests are invited to explore “San Diego on a plate” through a la carte or tasting menus inspired by the lifestyle, ingredients and sense of place that is San Diego. Whether celebrating a special occasion or simply looking to enjoy the San Diego lifestyle to its fullest, George’s at the Cove is an essential part of any visit to the region.
Arizona
“Fabulous View, Food So-So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

You cannot beat this view. It is quite remarkable. I had the Seared Ahi with Soba Noodles. It was OK, nothing to write home about. My husband had the Farro Salad and that was actually quite good. I would go back again but really just for the fabulous view and maybe a cocktail or two!

• Visited July 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Horrible Management!!! Food below average!!! Snotty and Snooty!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

If you like good appetizers and good service this is NOT the place to go! Yes the view is nice, but you know what there are other places that have a nice view. If you do go, have a drink and sit at the bar, period. Other than 1 waitress, the rest of the staff looked down their noses at you, please what reason do you have to look down your nose at me when I'm the one paying the bill??? Like they where doing "me" a favor, geesh.
We went one night to have dinner and they wouldn't let us sit next to the glass with an unubstructed view because we where only 2 people instead of 3, are you kidding me??? There was no one there when we went, and I'm not just saying that. So we talked to two snooty (and I mean VERY snooty and snotty female managers) and they said they would probably be busy soon and that is their policy, so I told them we would take our business elsewhere... Just my opinion but what horrible management skills those two had. If you have 6 tables next to the glass and NO ONE is sitting there and NO ONE is waiting for a table, duh, better to have someone sitting at the table then to have no patrons at all???? It must be their high education. We will be back in La Jolla again, but we will not go here and we will spread the word to others to avoid this place like a bad case of whatever horrible disease you can think of.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank Jennifer S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice view but highly OVERRATED..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Food was mediocre...service was very good. View was better than the food. Menu very limited.....

Sarasota, Florida
“Awesome view from the outdoor terrace overlooking the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Went with family for brunch Saturday June 25th to celebrate our daughter's graduation. We had a first class ocean view. We enjoyed Fish Tacos and many wonderful cocktails. The service was a little slow, but it was very busy that day. Highly recommend this restaurant for the view and great food.

• Visited June 2011
Santa Ana, CA USA
“Great Ambiance, Ocean View, Delicious Food and an Overall Good Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is the first time I had been to George's at the Cove. I had heard of it many times, as it is one of the most well known restaurants in San Diego. The interesting thing is, the restaurant has three different options when it comes to dinning there. My friend and I went with the outside terrace option, as the prices were a bit more reasonable and we liked the idea of being in an open area with a view of the ocean. However, we did go at night so we didn't have as much of a view, and it was slightly cold. When we went for our reservation we were seated almost immediately. The waiters were all extremely nice and efficient. We began with the Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail, which was very good- especially the sauce. It was slightly spicy but not too bad. I ordered the Steak Frites, which was a hanger steak and fries. It was delicious and the steak was actually quite a bit of meat which surprised me. My friend ordered a Asian Marinated Skirt Steak, which he really enjoyed. We were also served bread during our meal which was very good. At the end of the night we ordered a berry type dessert which was very tasty. The total bill was more than we usually spend, but was well worth it for an occasional nice dinner out at a top restaurant in a nice area.

• Visited April 2011