“How About the Service?”
Review of Crab Catcher

Crab Catcher
Reserve with OpenTable
Crab Catcher is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,236 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cave St.
Transit: On Torrey Pines Road at Prospect Place, two blocks from the restaurant.
San Diego, CA
“How About the Service?”
Reviewed April 23, 2006

I know restaraunts were meant to be eaten at but everyone really overlooks the service of one.

I want to thank JUSTIN and AMBROSIA most of all. I was outside and little confused as to where to go when I had gotten there, and Justin seated me as I looked so confused as to where I would find a host. He asked me what my prefrence was, if I chose to be seated anywhere specific, and I said No, I was good with whatever he had chosen. He gave me the best view of the ocean at their indoor dining right away (I came in my pajamas and make up smeared from the night before) so it was obvious I literally just rolled out of bed and got there.

The restaraunt staff was very welcoming. I had a great time there as I always tend to dine by myself. I'm very busy and rarely get anytime to myself.

The audience there were people strolling in for lunch from businesses and other hotels from the area. A few foreigners I noticed who were pretty loud, but it was towards the end of my visit, so nothing too distracting. Nothing too stuffy at all and nothing outrageously priced for lunch.

I want to next talk about the food. I had the friend Calamari which I thought lacked a little taste and the sauce didn't help too much eitheir, but the Caeser salad with the blue crab and the tempura vegatables very much made up for it! The Salad was very refreshing and went well with the tempura vegetables. It came out right away, the wait wasn't at all bad like I've experienced at other restaraunts.

AMBROSIA was very helpful, the best waitress I've encountered this year so far. Thank you for all your help and wonderful service.

I was there for lunch, and I'd only imagine the downside to comming there for dinner would be parking. The view of La Jolla cove is amazing!

I can't wait to come back and check out their dinner.

2 Thank kayciereyes

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego
“Wow.. Just Awesome!”
Reviewed March 22, 2006

With a reservation, my wife and I got to the restaurant and we were kindly greeted and sat right away.
We started off with a Carpaccio di Bue al Gorgonzola which is Natural beef carpaccio with arugula crumbled gorgonzola cheese and a Dijon mustard aioli, then our entrees came, I had the Orechiette con Gamberi. This extraordinary pasta was filled with spicy shrimp, cured ham and broccoli. With a little lemon zest it sure made the meal absolutely delicious. My wife had the fish of the day. I don't remember which one it was but after having a bite it just melted in my mouth. Dinner ended with a Tiramisu. We were absolutely full but when this rum and espresso filled dessert came out we couldn't help but finish it. Overall the service was excellent, atmosphere just beautiful, the owners Michael and Victoria were very gracious and accommodating. But I have to re-emphasize.. order the Orechiette, you'll love it!!

3 Thank tomsinger
La Jolla, CA
“Just OK”
Reviewed January 19, 2006

I like the atmosphere more than the food. Kind of a Italian country theme going and the service wasn't too bad, maybe the pizza I ordered was made on an off day, but it could have been better for the price.

1 Thank cjennt
, owner at Crab Catcher, responded to this review, April 4, 2006
I was surprised when I read the review of our restaurant and was pleased that you enjoyed the food and service, but we have not served pizza at Trattoria Acqua since April 2005 and your review was dated Jan. 2006 Perhaps you were confused with the other Trattoria up the street from us. We specialize in coastal cuisine: fish, lobster and scampi, pasta's and more traditional dishes like Osso Buco.
La Jolla, CA
“Crab Catcher is Wonderful”
Reviewed January 19, 2006

I beg to differ with the last reviewer. I thought the food here was very good and the view not to be beat. Looks right over the famous La Jolla Cove, awesome sunsets abound here as well. The menu offers a wide variety of choices, not bad at all!

4 Thank cjennt
A TripAdvisor Member
“nice view, mediocre food”
Reviewed October 26, 2005

Food was only ok. I don't know what everyone was raving about. The recommended dish was a jumbo of seafood that tasted like nothing special. Shrimp scampi was also mediocre.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member