“Perfect burger in a smart, stylish setting”

NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,234 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Girard
Description: An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by Executive Chef Jason Knibb and Pastry Chef Jose Alonzo III, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla's Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant's Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or outdoor terrace with glimpses of the ocean. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly. Sunday Brunch is also offered.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Grande Colonial is smart looking, stylish hotel and the hotel restaurant, Nine-Ten, is equally smart and stylish. Was invited to lunch by a La Jolla local and returned the next day with family. My burger was perfect on both visits, the service professional and the price reasonable. It's a pleasure to find a "grown-up|" restaurant that doesn't feel the need for themes or gimmicks.

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear JT2525 –
Thanks so much for your recognition of not only our burger (which we agree is phenomenal), but also for NINE-TEN’s overall philosophy. For me, it’s really about staying true to who we are and what the product is that we are using in the kitchen. I always try to let the product speak for itself without all the fluff. I just create really straightforward and elegant food. NINE-TEN’s style is to keep the plates simple, fresh and clean, while still being innovative. And our burger is no exception. Please stop by on your next trip to the States. Thanks again. Chef Jason Knibb

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Wow this place does it right. I wish I came here sooner because I've had several "foodie" friends rave about this place but for some reason or another I never hit it as I'm not a big fan of hotel restaurants.

Wow is all I can say. My wife and I came here for lunch this weekend and it was superb! Our waiter was very friendly and prompt and great service. The food is really delicious! We got a few different items including soup (their corn chowder soup is WONDERFUL), salads, sandwiches and desserts. All were incredible!

I know Zagats has reviewed it really really favorably and it's spot on target. For this quality food it's not expensive either. They have a lunch special for $24 for any entree, soup or salad, AND dessert for $24. The food is really great.

As you can see from all my hundreds of reviews....I travel quite a bit and dine out about 4-5 times each and every week and this place is definitely one of the better meals I've had in San Diego. In a city of many mediocre restaurants, this is definitely not one of them.

We plan to come back VERY soon for dinner. I highly recommend this place. They have seating indoors, a few tables in front of the building outside and outdoor patio seating in the back, which is where we sat.

Yum.....run don't walk here.

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

So glad you listened to your "foodie friends" and finally decided to give NINE-TEN a shot. You are certainly well traveled so your positive comments mean a lot. Now that you've experienced our 3-course lunch special, we will look forward to seeing you and your wife back for dinner sooner than later. Meanwhile, I thank you again for such favorable comments about your recent dining experience. Jason Knibb, Executive Chef

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ate here during our stay at the Grand Colonial, it was good food and very convenient as well. Only wish is that the menu were just slightly more diverse.

Dear Drew -
Thank you for visiting NINE-TEN during your recent trip to La Jolla. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll be back again soon. We do change our seasonal menu often (if not daily) so the next time you dine, the options will be different that the last visit. Please do come back and see us again.
Chef Jason Knibb

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hotel restaurants can be overblown affairs. Too much hype, glitter or the food can be good but expensive. In the case of Nine-Ten every aspect of the experience was outstanding.
Our server knew the menu, help us make choices and then let us eat without being instrusive.
My main dish was the Haddock , very flavorful and a reasonable size portion. My wife's steak was exactly how she ordered it. She is very picky on how she likes it and commented this is the first time she did not have to send it back.
We shared the vanilla mouse , not runny but semi firm which was great.
Overall the experience was outstanding, and not so expensive that you felt you had to like the food even if you did not.

Very happy to read your review and that NINE-TEN has changed your mind about hotel restaurants. We just took the award for San Diego's Best Hotel Fine Dining Restaurant from the California Restaurant Association so appreciate your added endorsement. I’m also glad we were able to deliver exactly what your wife wanted. It sounds like that might not happen often. Thank you again and I hope to see you both back down from LA soon.
Chef Jason Knibb

Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you want to enjoy a refined meal at reasonable prices then we would recommend dining at Nine-Ten for lunch - much more affordable than for dinner. There is plenty of variety on the menu for everyone and a very nice and reasonably priced 3-course offering for $24 (soup or salad, entree, and dessert). The food is not only beautifully presented, but it is also delicious. The burgers and truffle fries live up to their reputation as excellent. The corn soup was also fantastic, but the soup changes daily. For dessert, you will not be sorry if you order either the half-baked chocolate cake or the hazelnut creme brûlée (the creme brûlée itself is hazelnut flavored - very different and very good as long as you like hazelnuts!). The basil ice cream was also declared a winner that was served with a good lemon tart. The one area needing improvement is the service - a bit slow and not as professional as the food.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent lunch experience...specifically the incredible value of our $24 3-course lunch special. It's truly one of the best deals in town. I also appreciate you recognizing some of the desserts. We just hired a new pastry chef, the very talented Rachel King, and she is already making some very positive changes to our dessert selections. Thank you for that. Please come back soon.
Jason Knibb, Executive Chef