“Absolutely delicious!”

NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,236 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Girard
Description: An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by Executive Chef Jason Knibb and Pastry Chef Jose Alonzo III, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla's Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant's Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or outdoor terrace with glimpses of the ocean. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly. Sunday Brunch is also offered.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've eaten at a lot of "fancy" places and oftentimes you're paying for the ambience or the name, but the food is mediocre. I must say that there was nothing mediocre about the food here. We got the 3 course dinner with wine pairings and as great a value as it was, the taste was even better!! I started with the House Cured Smoked Salmon. It was super yummy and didn't leave me with a smokey taste afterward. I tried the Jamaican Jerk Pork Belly and that was even yummier! For my main course, I got the Maine Sea Scallops. There were only three (the perfect amount for a 3 course meal), but they were very large scallops and perfectly cooked and prepared. I've eaten scallops everywhere and I must say this was one of the best! Finally, I had the Half-baked Chocolate Cake which was good, but I think the Shaft's Bleu Cheese Plate was better and had there been honey to enjoy with the apple slices and cheese, it would've been perfect. The wine pairings were very good as well. The best part were the special touches like the amuse-bouche and dessert confection which were compliments of the chef, as well as 2 complimentary glasses of bubbly pink and a card signed by the staff to celebrate our anniversary. The restaurant itself is a bit small, but beautifully decorated and it accepts reservations, so you should be fine. Don't let the fact that it's a "hotel restaurant" fool you. There is nothing "hotel restaurant" about this place. Amazing!

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Happy B -
I'm happy to hear you chose to celebrate your anniversary with dinner at NINE-TEN. It sounds like you had a very nice experience and I am very appreciative of your very positive comments. The Jamaican Jerk Pork Belly is one of our signature dishes and represents my Jamaican roots. I'm glad you had the opportunity to try it. Thank you again for the kind works and I hope you'll be back down again soon. If you do, please let me know so I can come out of the kitchen to say hello. Jason Knibb, Executive Chef

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We came to the bar late one night, and returned a few days later to the restaurant in the afternoon. Service here is excellent. When we visited in the afternoon, we were coming off a horrible experience at another restaurant. We mentioned it to our waiter in passing and he clearly made every effort to make our experience at 910 the best it could be. He turned our day around for sure. The location is beautiful as well. We might consider staying at this hotel (the Colonial) next time.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I really wanted to like this place but average is the best I can say. Probably better places for breakfast in the area (The Cottage). The Chiliquiles were great but the salmon eggs Benedict was a bit fishy. The biscuits and gravy were decent. as well. The kids had a fruit plate, scrambled eggs and a cinnamon roll. Pretty hard to screw those up. So I would give the food a good but not "very good". The service was attentive but they made a few errors. Charged for a hot chocolate they didn't bring and served the biscuits and gravy 10 minutes after they served the other dishes which lead me to believe that they just didn't get the order placed. They did comp us a Mimosa. With so many other great places, probably won't be back here.

GrandeColonial, Director of Food & Beverage at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I am very sorry to hear that you would not return to NINE-TEN on a future visit to La Jolla. The level of service you received during your breakfast is not representative of what we strive to provide each and every day. I do hope that you brought your issues to the attention of your server or the manager on duty and that they were handled appropriately. If you do ever decide to give us another try, please contact me personally to make your reservation. I do hope we will see you back. Meanwhile, thank you for bringing to my attention the details of your personal experience. They will be addressed immediately.
Neal Wasserman, Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nine Ten serves a small burger with California blue cheese and avocado that is the best. The truffle fries are fabulous. Bar was nice but ambiance of restaurant could be improved.

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Mwinch23:
Thanks for the burger and fries kudos. We have actually received quite a bit of acclaim for our burgers, including a San Diego Magazine Critic's Choice Award for "Best Burger in San Diego". And good news is that the presentation changes often depending upon what is in season. (And our truffle fries are to die for, as well. But I'm biased.) Thanks again.
Chef Jason Knibb