“Nine-ten is a 9.5”

NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,242 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Girard
Description: An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by Executive Chef Jason Knibb and Pastry Chef Jose Alonzo III, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla's Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant's Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or outdoor terrace with glimpses of the ocean. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly. Sunday Brunch is also offered.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This new restaurant in the Grande Colonial hotel is a real hit with us. The four of us tried the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing, the twist was that we got different dishes so our experience was doubled when shared. The food courses were beautifully presented and close to perfection. The wine pairing was inventive and well done. Service was very good, noise level energetic. The only thing missing was ocean view, but we were too busy enjoying the food...we will be back for more

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thanks, 52024Pelle_60:
So glad you had a chance to dine with us while visiting all the way from Portland. And thanks for choosing to put yourselves at my mercy with our "Mercy of the Chef" tasting menu. It's always so fun for me to get creative in the kitchen and try new things on adventurous diners. I hope you'll be back down again soon. Let me know when you return and I'll come out and say hello!
Jason Knibb, Executive Chef

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We are a swiss foodie family who recentely travelled through California with stops in SF, LA and San Diego - with a stopover in Vegas. We have dinnered two times at nine ten and this easy the best restaurant of the whole trip. Chef Jason Knibb serves a fantastically refined, light cuisine that is definetly worth the price. His talent showed through every dish. All the dishes very really tasty and executed with high attention to detail. The best about his cuisine is his treatment of and his selection of vegetables. Our compliments!

GrandeColonial, Executive Chef at NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments about dining at NINE-TEN. I appreciate you choosing our restaurant during your recent trip to the States and am even happier to hear that you came back more than once. We’re really lucky in San Diego to have some of the best farmers around, which allows me to develop our menus around their harvests. I try to let those ingredients speak for themselves, always pairing them with things that complement one another. My style is to keep the plates simple, fresh and clean, while still being innovative and elegant and I really appreciate your recognition of that. Hope you will be back in the future.
Chef Jason Knibb

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice atmosphere. Great food and a good happy hour. Awesome location. But I have to say the service is hit or miss. That being said, I would recommend trying Nine-Ten and hopefully you will have a good experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Nine Ten because we are staying at the Grande Colonial and we were not disappointed! All the food was fresh and exceptionally tasty. I had the grilled octopus appetizer and the lamb dinner. The grilled octopus was crispy but moist. The lamb was cooked perfectly and had a great flavor.

We will absolutely go back again!!!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

No, not your regular seaside caf - Brits will know what I mean by that. This is a restaurant/bar, with a thoughtful menu, first class service and above all, excellent food at reasonable lunch-time prices.

My wife and I considered it a lucky find, having just arrived in town hungry and tired from a long drive, on our first ever visit.

We both independently chose the Loch Dart Salmon and it was melt-in-the-mouth delicious. The sauce was excellent and did not overpower the salmon and the vegetables were cooked to perfection. With a nice glass of wine and Crème Brule to follow it was indeed an excellent and lucky choice we made

Our waitress advised us about the Valet Parking at the hotel, free with a copy of our lunch receipt, That was one of several bits of good advice she gave us as the parking in town is "difficult." I was going to have to get up from the table and move the car as I was in a one hour zone. The Valet solved that hassle.

We stumbled on this place, but since then I have read up on it and it seems to me that many diners feel as we do. We loved it!

1  Thank Drew I