“Great Burger”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I visited The Spot after much indecision over where to eat in La Jolla and was not disappointed.

I was seated in a booth very quickly. The seat was uncomfortable and moved whenever the person behind me moved - very disconcerting.

I had a nice margarita and loved being able to choose from so many wines by the glass. The cheeseburger was excellent and served with good sides.

Well worth the visit.

1  Thank StevieB3052

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family and I ate at this restaurant with another family based on a recommendation from a friend. Wow was I disappointed. It was not exceptionally busy which would lead you to believe that they could at lease serve you drinks in under ten minutes. I am sure some of these are staff issues and maybe more training is needed, but with a high profile location, you expect better.

We ordered wings as an appetizer and again, I am not sure if this was just a personnel issue, but the first order came with 10 and the second order came with only 8. No reason given for the difference, but when you have 5 children and you were expecting 2 wings a piece that becomes an issue. I know, boo hoo that a poor child does not get an extra wing, but after the drinks taking forever to be served this was strike two and it did not get better. For $11.00 you would think you would at least get some consistency in the orders.

Second round of drinks and with the restaurant only 1/3 filled we had to almost grab someone while walking by on the third attempt to get their attention. If you ever go here, you will find out that it is not that large and you really have to go out of your way to avoid contact with the customers.

When the food finally arrived, I guess you are paying the price for the location because none of the items on that were ordered were average at best. $10.95 for a smallish bowl of Kraft Mac'n'Cheese, not worth it. My medium rare burger was a hockey puck. I would have sent it back but we had waited so long for the food to arrive and the kids were already restless so I choked it down. The only bright spot was apparently the Duck Panini that my friend ordered. He said it was a bit dry but otherwise tasty.

Overall we might have caught them on a bad day, but this was not what I was expecting from the self proclaimed "La Jolla Restaurant Legend". There are many other equally pricy places in the area that I am sure serve a higher quality of food. I would search for one of them.

2  Thank mikegodphx
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I had just flown in to the area and we visited midafternoon for a late lunch. I had an excellent margarita and then we split the Maine Lobster special. It was prepared perfectly and was very fresh. The baked potato was so good it hardly needed butter. Our server was super friendly and attentive and I noticed she spoke fluent Spanish with other patrons.

2  Thank ExtensiveTravels
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Nice place centrally located at La Jolla village. Family friendly, tasty and varied food and icecold draft Newcastle Brown :-)

1  Thank sloeffeler
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Food was pretty good and reasonably priced. Was very crowded the night we were there.

1  Thank Missqueenie