“Fab breakfast!”

Ranked #5 of 1,242 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Over 24 years ago, we stumbled onto a sleepy little restaurant called the Cottage La Jolla. The restaurant was a local hangout and had a reputation for delicious food and friendly, personal service. Since 1992, our business has exploded, and in late 2009 we finished a complete renovation of the restaurant. Improvements include a handicap lift & restrooms, expanded kitchen & a fresh, new look. What hasn't changed is our passion for serving tasty, classic American & Southern California influenced food. We are also proud of the many servers, bussers and cooks that have been with us for years & years. We are often asked how we are able to operate two restaurants on different coasts, and our response is, "It's all about the people." Please take a moment to say hello to our Manager, Michael Harrison, on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage!
Reviewed May 18, 2014

While visiting San Diego for a long weekend for my husbands birthday we started our day in La Jolla with breakfast at The Cottage. We arrived late morning and waited about 20 min. The server brought chips and guacamole as soon as we sat down and took our drink order right away. All the wait staff was cordial and friendly. My husband had the sausage omelet and I had the blueberry lemon ricotta pancakes. Both were fabulous, my pancakes perfect! We'll return here every time we're in town for sure.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Had breakfast here on a Saturday morning with our two teenagers. We all ordered something different, and everything was "to-die-for". Our waiter was extremely helpful in guiding us to the best options, and we were not disappointed. The Joe's Special and Tuscan fritatta were unique and mouth watering. My daughter had the Eggs Benedict, and they executed this classic dish beautifully. Poached eggs just as she ordered. The kids had hot chocolate while we enjoyed Mimosas to kick off our week-long vacation in La Jolla. My only reservation might be for families with young children. Didn't see many that day.

Be warned, this place is extremely popular, so go a little on the early side. We were not there too early (not possible with teenagers), but were there early enough to beat the growing crowd. Very comfortable, homey setting, easy walking distance from the Grand Colonial hotel.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

While visiting La Jolla to attend a wedding, we were given the best recommendation for breakfast...The Cottage! We got there at 8:30 and there was already a line! While you waited, they served coffee and cake! The menu was varied and it was hard to make a decision. We all had something different! I can only speak of the classic French toast which was outstanding and the best I have ever eaten!! It was so creamy on the inside and a little crispy on the outside. I know I will want to go back again the first chance we get!!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

After having a lovely beach wedding. The wedding party went to The Cottage for the reception dinner. The food was excellent. The wait staff was above excellent. The food is not inferior coffee shop food. It is well thought out combinations of all sorts of entrees, both meat and vegan. Our group of 50 people had a choice of 5 different menu items as selected in advance by the wedding couple. There was a choice of salad, entree, and desert. Excellent wine and beer was served as well as champagne for the toasts to the couple. I cannot say enough about the excellent staff at the restaurant. The were the most attentive I have ever seen. They even provided lap blankets to those who got too cool in the evening air. The wedding planners had added extra decorations for the party but the Cottage already had very nice ambiance. This restaurant is open for the public during most of the year but doesn't serve dinner until the summer season approaches. This is highly recommended for casual dining and should be considered for special occasions like wedding reception dinners. The outside patio area that was used for our dinner, could have seated about 80 people maximum. There is setting inside for another 30+ people.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Although food and service are okay we were expecting something spectacular after reading all the reviews. This is a standard place offering standard quality, nothing more and nothing less. A scone and jam served with my scrambled eggs, bacon and guacamole...who ever invented this??? The setting is nice and the service pretty good, but not worth the rave reviews. ( plus the food was kind of cold)