“Overrated and overpriced”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fay
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife had ordered some salmon that was basically
raw (supposed to have been cooked). It was only with
some hassle that we had the waiter return the fish to
the cook to get it done properly. Add to the fact that
the prices at the restaurant are way out of line -- maybe
not of concern to the pompous clientele of the La Jolla
area.

There are newer reviews for Roppongi

Reviewed August 25, 2013

A friend and I stumbled across Roppongi by accident as one of the "in" breakfast places had too long of a wait. I'm so glad they did as our breakfast was fantastic. To start with the waitress was so pleasant and didn't hesitate to recommend some items from the amazingly inventive breakfast menu; smoked salmon omelet for example. And the coffee was the best I've had anywhere. I found out it was Arabic which has now spoiled me as no other coffee compares (at least for me). My friend had the Roppongi Eggs Benedict which he said were as goodvas any he has ever had, and he lives for eggs benedict. All I can say is, the meal was marvelous.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I only go here for Happy Hour because it is really good. Great value for food and booze/wine. It was even better when they offered some sushi rolls for half off. I strongly urge everyone to tell them to bring that back! Not asure how often they change their menu but I usually order some combination of Ahi, Kefir Cheese, Scallops, Crab Stack and/or Duck Quesadilla.

I prefer red wine and they have a great selection. Happy Hour is only in the bar and the outside patio. I always relax in the outside patio. Parking can be an issue since La Jolla is very popular. I honestly avoid La Jolla when I know it will be busy, especially summer weekends.

If they would just bring back those sushi rolls this would again be my favorite Happy Hour in San Diego!!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

It was a beautiful Thursday evening and outside near the firepit, the DJ and great playlist drew us in to Roppongi. The adventure only got better. There was a special menu for the outside cafe with 7 items starting with crab cakes, beef satay, spicy pork in lettuce wrap, an eggplant with a tomato and balsamic purée that literally melted in our mouth. Started out with the corn chowder, excellent. The mission fig and spinach and arugula salad was one of the best I've ever had. We are visiting La jolla for just a few days and it is so good con spidering going back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The "Average" rating for this restaurant is an average of the two dishes we had for a light lunch--the scallops on potato pancakes with hollandaise--which was, as always, excellent-- and the kung pao calamari, which was--meh. It consisted of tender chunks of calamari in a too-vinegary sauce with crudely chopped vegetables and four hazelnuts--not even a dollop of rice to cut the sauce. The service was pleasant, and so was the outside seating. The inside of the restaurant is fine for dinner, but way to dark for lunch on a beautiful day. These two small dishes were overpriced at $18 and $14. Next time we will go for--and split--the $13 lobster BLT with fries, that dish looked great.