“Inspired cuisine”
Review of Roppongi - CLOSED

Roppongi
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fay
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been coming to Roppongi's for many years. It is one of my favorite restaurants in the La Jolla/San Diego area. The cuisine is Asian inspired with a unique, fresh blend of ingredients in many dishes. I particularly love the curried roast corn and shrimp chowder for a starter, and then, following the shrimp theme, move right into the Mongolian shrimp with pineapple fried rice, mango salsa with a sweet chili sauce.

They also have an extensive tapas menu, which is exciting and innovative with such tapas as the Indonesian Satay which is chicken breast with lemongrass and Thai peanut sauce. Their sushi bar and menu is another choice open to diners.

With one exception, the service has always been good. The waiters are well trained, helpful and menu savvy. The food is delivered to your table the moment it is ready, which means dishes ordered may arrived in short succession, but not necessarily simultaneously to your table. Since tapas and some dishes are often shared, I find this not only acceptable, but a desirable way to enjoy food at it's optimum.

The owner, Sami Ladeki is often dinning there himself, which keeps all personnel on their toes and we, the customers, guaranteed a fine dinning experience.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Gather your family or grab your friends for your next celebration, go to Roppongi and enjoy sharing the tapas. This is elegant casual dining at its best. Enjoy!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Roppongi has been one of our favorite places because of the nicely prepared Asian inspired food, the tranquil ambiance, the good service, the location right in downtown La Jolla -- it's been a standby for us since the day it opened for lunch with friends and dinner splurges. But it does have drawbacks: mainly a good but very limited menu, and it can be a very noisy place. I have been there when the Susan Komen 3-Day walkers came in and happily hooted and hollered for hours. And when the business crowd comes in after work and starts drinking, it just gets loud, which is strangely at odds with the elegant Asian decor and the Asian fusion food, so beautifully served.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This restaurant exceeded my expectations by a mile. The food was not only unique, it was delicious and impossible not to devour. My group of 12 diners sat outdoors around a fire pit and enjoyed each course to its fullest. The inside tables were packed, so be sure to call for a reservation since this restaurant is extremely popular.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were lured here by friends who like cheap happy hours, so it is probably good for that. Who eats dinner at five o'clock? For dinner it was laughable. Service was slow in general, and it seemed to take forever for everything. They were not really very crowded, so there was no excuse. They brought my lamb chops before my salad, which was really irritating, but the way it was handled was insulting. People make mistakes, but it is the way mistakes are handled that separate great places from mediocre places. The server insisted that I did not order a salad, that she was right, and that I pretty much had to eat the food. I was too tired to arguing, so I just skipped my salad. (Of course now it is 5am and I woke up hungry. Good time to write a review.) Then, after all this aggravation, the chops that I order medium rare were not even pink in the center. But the best part of all, is much I over-paid for this nonsense. I would NEVER go back here!