“Great view and great food.”
Review of Sushi on the Rock

Sushi on the Rock
Ranked #62 of 1,234 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hidden place. Great terrace. Call for resrvations, it is a very small and very busy place. Best sushi in La Jolla. Try the secialities!

1  Thank VinnyPS888

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Ive eaten here a couple times while on business trips to the area. The food is always good, the service is always great, and the patio is a great location to enjoy a meal.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I stopped in at this restaurant on our recent vacation to SD/La Jolla after reading some great reviews & perusing the menu to see that they had an extensive selection of specialty rolls. We were there around 7:30 on a Sunday evening and were able to get a seat right away without a reservation, which was nice. La Jolla seems to be a pretty sleepy town on a winter Sunday evening, which was fine with us! We ordered the spicy garlic edamame, which was really good and very different from spicy garlic edamame I've had elsewhere. It had an earthier, smokier flavor, while still being pretty spicy. For sushi, we got the Coco Roll, which I highly recommend. It was a nice alternative to the traditional shrimp tempura roll you typically see. If you like coconut shrimp & you like sushi, you will love this roll! We also got the Crunchy Roll, which was a cool play on the shrimp tempura idea. It had a lot of extra "crunchies" all over it, which were really good and just added a nice texture. We shared the Red Dragon Roll as well (do you see a theme of shrimp tempura here?! haha), and I think that one was my favorite. They were all good though - it was hard to choose a fav. My boyfriend got the Screaming Roll for himself (I don't care for soft shell crab) & he said that was his favorite out of all. We had really great service, and sitting outside was nice since they had heaters to keep us warm in the chilly lower 60s degree evening. Food, service, and atmosphere were all great, so I gave this place 5 stars :-)

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Our family of 7 sat outside for lunch. We had a gorgeous view. The sushi was great. My favorite was "The Don". The kids had fried rice, miso soup, and a bento box. Service was great too.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We enjoyed this restaurant, which serves amply-sized portions of California-styled sushi. The edamame was excellent, warm and nicely prepared, which is a real contrast to what we have often found in similar places around the US. The Mexican-influenced spicy sushi and rolls were fun, and although one wonders what a Japanese chef would make of them, we thought they were very tasty!