“Great Sushi!”

Sushi on the Rock
Ranked #52 of 1,239 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of the best sushi places I've ever been to! Lot's of vegetarian rolls to choose from besides just a vegetable roll and cucumber roll. Our server was great but the other one we saw: well I felt bad for her tables. The plates came out randomly over about 20 minutes though which made it awkward (to eat in front of everyone or not?). We sat outside and the place next door had live music so we could steel some ambiance from them, in addition to the candle light on our outdoor table.

• Polish first
Fairfax, Virginia
“Sushi heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

At the waiter's suggestion, we tried the Sunkist and Ozstars and Crunchy sushi rolls and I was amazed at the taste. Originally, I was wondering if California would come through with amazing sushi, since neither my husband nor I were very impressed with the Mexican food or the Fish tacos. Fortunately, Sushi on the Rock did not let me down. It was a charming little place with outdoor seating and the food was really, really, really good. It made for a great night.

Sarasota, Florida
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

You have to eat at this place. The food was delicious and the staff was very nice and friendly (our server Matt was very good). Sit outside the view is nice to, and do try the creamy miso soup. Never had soup that tasted so good.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Relaxing Dinner Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

After a long day of meetings, two of my colleagues and I ventured to Sushi on the Rock. The atmosphere was relaxing, and the service was quite good. We got some good recommendations from the waiter, and I ordered the Yellowtail served with avocado (delicious and fresh), and the others ordered the Red Dragon sushi and cleaned their plates! We also shared some pan fried dumplings and spicy calamari, and bother were done well.
This is also a great spot for people-watching, as there were all kinds of folks choosing Sushi on the Rock. My cousin-in-law, Arlene would love this place! I will take my family here on our next trip to La Jolla.
Come in the evening and enjoy the sunset!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great sushi at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just had a great lunch at this place. We walked 2 miles to get there and it didn't disappoint. We sat out on the patio, which has a nice view overlooking La Jolla, the bar area was also nice. Our waiter was friendly and helpful, advising us on portion sizes. We ordered a sashimi special platter, a spicy tuna roll and a coco roll (coconut crusted shrimp). The coco roll was delicious, definitely one of the best rolls I've had, all of the other items were excellent too - the fish was extremely fresh. We also ordered a couple of beers and our bill came to $55, which isn't too bad. I'd definitely go back!