“Best Sushi Bar”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
La Jolla, California
“Best Sushi Bar”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great Service & Excellent Sushi and has a Great Happy Hour Menu and has a Friendly Staff , also has the best sliders , Zenbu rolls , Great place to Bring the Family or a Date ,

• Visited March 2013

Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California, United States
“Mediocrity”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our Friday evening at Zenbu was mediocre. The sushi, nigiri, sashimi and specialty fish salads were a 5 out of 10. Not the freshest fish I had. Good, not bad but not the greatest. I sometimes have difficulty taking any Japanese restaurant seriously seeing no Japanese Chefs behind a sushi bar. One of the greatest compliments for a restaurant is to have the Japanese gourmet chef. Too many Gaijin chefs.

The atmosphere was a bit bizarre. Football game on one TV screen with loud, live Surf Music in one corner that made it difficult to have conversation. Not what I was looking for. Younger-ish crowd looking to party and pickup. No thanks. If you are looking for quiet Asian atmosphere, go elsewhere.

Service was slow. Perhaps they sensed my displeasure with being there. Zenbu shares bathrooms and kitchens with Rimel's given common ownership. I've experienced much better. In fact, I prefer the LaJolla site much better.

Price is a bit too much given the lack of high quality fish.

• Visited November 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Two incredible restaurants in one!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

A visit in July 2012 to local-recommended Zenbu in Cardiff was a treat. The restaurant/bar is small, and the DJ for the evening, though a treat to listen to and very talented, was only 4 feet from our table, so it was a little noisy for my liking. The sushi was incredible, and since they share a kitchen with Rimel's next door, we could order off of both menus. Don't miss the calamari with cilantro & lime vinegarette - the best calamari I have had!

• Visited July 2012
San Diego
“Service was so bad, we never got to order”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Service was so bad; we never even got to order. Only four out of the 20+ tables were occupied with two servers and a bartender covering and we were totally ignored for ten minutes while the waitress walked by our table eight times serving people on each side of ours. She never acknowledged us. I finally asked another waiter that we would like to order and he said OK, went to another table to service it and disappeared. After another five minutes of being ignored, we finally left. What shocked us was the arrogance of the servers.

There are so many good restaurants in LaJolla with great service, so we were shocked. We went to Sushi on the Rock II and the food and service was fantastic. Roppongi is also another great Japanese restaurant in LaJolla.

Pass on this place unless you have hours to be ignored.

• Visited July 2012
Arizona
“Overpriced but good”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We sat in the small bar of this restaurant. I was impressed at how they were able to renovate the space so it did not feel like another strip mall restaurant. It is a bit loud but not too bad. They definitely have their own scene which is not upsetting but did make me want to roll my eyes while we waited a while for 1 roll and 2 drinks. If you are in the mood for sushi, I don't think you'd be disappointed but if you are just out looking for food, The Public House across the street is a fun choice too.

Visited February 2012