“Good”
Review of Cafe Japengo

Cafe Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cross street: La Jolla Village
New York City, New York
“Good”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A classic. Parking's a pain. Sushi here's been good for a long time. Always reliable, a good go-to if you have guests in town, etc.

• Visited January 2013

San Diego
“Didn't have sushi, but”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

...my duck salad was excellent: Interesting greens, a nice blend of shoots, sprouts and noodles, light and lovely dressing, goat cheese, sugared pecans and a very generous portion of tasty, succulent sliced duck. It was a large lunch serving, very attractively presented.

At lunchtime, the room was not full, so it was easy to hear across the table and to conduct business after eating. The service was excellent until we had to chase down the server to take our credit card so we both could get on to other appointments.

Kingston, TN
“Japanese fusion”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Recommend reservations. My husband and I met another couple for dinner. Restaurant has a nice atmosphere, unique menu items. The server was friendly and made dinner suggestions which we took. I had the Miso butterfish and my husband had sushi. Our companions had the Vietnamese Pork and a shrimp and scallops wok dish. They added a couple of pieces of sushi as well. For the price I expected phenomenal and it just wasn't.

Walnut Creek, California, United States
“Great Sushi and More”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Location - perfect. If you are staying at the Hyatt, 4 restaurants are across the street from the hotel, but Japengo is the only one that isn't a major chain. They offer excellent, very fresh sushi as well as a variety of other innovative Asian dishes. My husband loved the hot and sour soup - his appetite was small that evening. I was in love with two interesting rolls. The space is nice and you feel pampered. You can order a light dinner or splurge. Cocktails were interesting and there was a nice wine list.

This restaurant made a business trip feel a little more like a vacation.

Staten Island
“Great service Tasty food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our server was so accommodating making sure there were no seeds or nuts added to our entrees or sushi. We enjoyed a tasty dinner especially the shrimp and scallops with noodles. Scallops were browned and sweet. It was salty, but that may be my taste. Burning sun cocktail was the right mix of sweet, tart, and heat. I wasn't fond of the fried rice dish and again it might be my taste so that's why it isn't five stars. I would definitely return.