“Great atmosphere great food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Japengo

Cafe Japengo
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,243 Restaurants in La Jolla
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: La Jolla Village
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“Great atmosphere great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Happy hour is very popular and the bar is jammed. I had a reservation for 2 at 7 and was seated right away. Atmosphere is hip, well designed and has an open kitchen/sushi bar so if you are alone you can sit at the kitchen bar and be fully entertained. I had the organic salmon and it was beautiful, tasty and FRESH. They have a delegate gluten free menu that I ordered it off of. My partner got the duck and said it was mind blowing. I also had the ginger and cucumber fizz cocktail-
Not to be missed! Our server was busy but we felt taken care of. Very exciting and fun place!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Houston
“Absolutely delicious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Visited Cafe Japengo for dinner on a whim. What a great decision it turned out to be. Place was pretty cool in terms of atmosphere, not incredible, but cool & comfortable. The service was very good from start to end as well...then the food. Oh my, everything we had at our table was absolutely incredibly delicious. We all sampled each others dishes & nothing let us down. I would GLADLY visit again. Fantastic food!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
“One of the best places for Sushi and Japanese food in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I go to Japengo often. It is one of the most reliable sushi and Japanese restaurants in San Diego. Everything is fresh and well prepared. There are creative tasty dishes for those that do not want Sushi and the Sushi is fantastic- fresh, clean and creative. Service is top notch as well. Great modern atmosphere. Go!!

• Visited March 2013
Morgan Hill, CA
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Sushi Chef and Manager Jerry was fantastic. Great conversationalist and local guy - worked there for a long time which tells me a lot about management. Loved this place. Food super fresh and delish.

Visited February 2013
“Good Sushi - Not kid friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We were staying across the way at the Hyatt so I thought we would try it. Large portions, great food but a little inflexible. We arrived a few minutes early (we had made a reservation through Open table) and couldn't be seated until our exact time. Having a 2 and 4 year old is like herding cats. Then we ordered. My 4 year old loves Miso so I ordered her a bowl. It would have helpful to know a few things about the bowl - additional ingredients, to say the least she struggled. The two year old had rice from the kids menu. First it was served hot, not a good thing. It was the most complex kids rice dish I have ever seen. Don't misunderstand the place has great food and sushi - it's just not kid friendly.