Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Surf Camp Excellence

Reviewed July 5, 2018
TravelingChimp
Key West, Florida

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Took two lessons last week while in La Jolla on vacation and had a blast. Dave and Sean were both great teachers - they did a really nice job of breaking everything down into manageable steps. Even as a beginner, they had me standing up and riding waves within a few tries, and by the end of the second lesson I was at a point where I felt like I could go out in the water and have fun on my own. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

Every single person involved in Menehune Surf Camp is above and beyond courteous, professional, and GREAT with kids. I can't say enough good things about the staff. Tanner was encouraging, fun, observant, helpful, energetic and super sweet with the kiddos. My 7 year old won't stop talking about him:) Thank you to Mark for all the local recommendations and for being so accommodating. Thank you to Current and Alli as well for all your help and going above and beyond to make this a great experience for us all. I really can't imagine a better camp experience. Thank you, Menehune staff! You are the BEST!

Reviewed October 8, 2017

Today I had a 2h surfing class and it was an amazing experience. The instructor - Sean (I hope I spell the name properly) did a great job to explain and show me everything. I felt very safe and I think I learnt a lot. He was very enthusiastic and kept me motivated. It was a great 2h class and I would totally recommend it to everyone. Thanks a lot and see you again!

Reviewed February 23, 2017 via mobile

We signed up for a semi-private surf lesson for one adult and a child. They had so much fun, and they managed to ride the wave by the end of the hour session. A great instructor, and this is a must-do activity, a Californian experience!!

Reviewed January 20, 2017

We did a 1 hour surf lesson for two, and had an awesome experience. Our surf instructor, Nick, was very nice, helpful and patient. Both of us had a blast and did way better than we expected. It didn't feel rushed, and we had plenty of time in the water. I would definitely recommend Menehune to others, as well as take more lessons myself. The pricing was extremely reasonable for what you get.

Reviewed October 15, 2016

We were in town for a wedding and decided ahead of time to book lessons. My two granddaughters took a lesson two years ago in Ventura and were super excited to try surfing again! We are Midwestern people so have no experience surfing! The instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone got up and surfed into shore!! Would recommend them for anyone visiting and hoping to catch a wave, everyone had an awesome time!!

1  Thank kevinkirsch06
Reviewed April 9, 2016 via mobile

We saw some instructors at the main beach in La Jolla. They advised we could set up a lesson for four online. All payment and waivers were done online. It was effortless. You do need to set up lessons the day before. The instructor, Nat, was enthusiastic and helpful. The boys all had fun. All equipment (wet suits and boards) were provided. The boys used the boards for the rest of the day. Would recommend to others.

Reviewed March 20, 2016

The private lesson at La Jolla Beach was a wonderful experience. Fonzie, the instructor, did a great job. He was patient and encouraging.

Reviewed August 18, 2015

I really enjoyed the lesson I had. It was one on one and very personalized. My one complaint was that they didnt have full body wetsuit...the water was cold and that would have helped!

Reviewed July 14, 2015

We arrived not knowing what to expect, were greeted by instructor "Mark" who it turns out is a local teacher. We were told all of the basics but then left our precious cargo (my son) in their care. I was nervous about any ocean camp and worried about sharks and all the other typical fears you might have.
By 12 noon when my 11 year old son was ready for pick up, he was all smiles, exhausted, hungry, tired and couldn't wait to do it all again the next day.
We loved the instructors "Mark and Tim" and we will be back.
The camp played games, gave kids a snack break, got them showered and cleaned up and had them at the parking lot pick up location in La Jolla Shores by the time I was told.
I felt the camp was safe and fun for my son and I appreciated knowing that the camp was formed and run by school teachers, not college kids who are perhaps not as aware of how parents worry about their children.

1  Thank Beth S