“Great food and wonderful service”

Stella Italianfare La Jolla
Ranked #51 of 1,239 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food was delicious and Gary the GM, made it a point to make us comfortable and teach us about Italian cuisine.

There are newer reviews for Stella Italianfare La Jolla

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I went to Stella's for dinner on vacation in La Jolla. The patio was closed due to rain, would have been nice to sit outside. The service was great, our waiter gave good recommendations for wine and entrees. The fiascos appetizer was wonderful! Maybe or favorite part of the meal. The bread was also good. I got the fish of the day, grilled sea bass with sauteed green beans. My husband got the new york steak, which came with potatoes. They were both delicious and huge portions. The only reason this review is a 4 instead of 5 is the atmosphere - it's a new restaurant, kind of a musty building, with steep stairs up to the restaurant. Overall great dinner, the food and service were excellent!

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

West for late lunch.
Came in the end of lunch time but the food was still perfect.
My wife had the minestrone soup and the broucet (bread with tommato) and i had the chicken breast sandwich with peppers.
All was realy great.
Even the espresso in the end reminded italy to us.
I recommend the open balcony as you can see the ocean

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband I were delayed in San Diego on a recent trip so since we had an extra night to spend we headed back to La Jolla. My husband found a Travel Zoo deal for Stella that included two glasses of wine, an appetizer and two entrees. Sounding like a good deal, we decided to try it out. The restaurant was rather quiet, but we were dining late. The service was superb! Our waiter was very knowledgable about the wine selection and suggested pairings. He seemed incredibly knowledgeable about the menu overall. I've seen waiters who know their menu and can speak about what they prefer, but this guy was passionate about the food- so we were really excited to try what they had! We started with a Stella Spread, the mushroom, parmigiano and truffle. The spread was served with crispy grilled bread and was out of this world! It was a huge portion and we ended up leaving some so we'd have room for our entrees (it was tough to leave anything on the plate!). Next, our server brought warm bread and olive oil. Again- the bread was out of this world and I would have been happy just eating that and I am typically not a bread eater. My husband ordered a braised lamb shank with fresh gnocchi. The meat fell off the bone and the braising liquid was a mixture of tomatoes and mirepoix that tasted like its flavors had been cooking away all afternoon. I ordered grilled halibut served with rosemary roasted potatoes. The fish was cooked perfectly and the flavors worked in perfect harmony. It was simple, yet refined.

We met one of the owners who told us a little about the head chef who hails from Italy. It was obvious that he's refined the art of Italian cooking and brought those traditions to southern California. Had I not been looking out of the Pacific Ocean, I would have felt I was back in Italy! It is very clear that the owners, chef and staff are incredibly passionate about the food they produce and they have such respect for quality ingredients and the meal is more than just a plate of food, it is an experience. I hope to return!

Our server even threw in a complimentary digestivo after our meal- which was not included in our Travel Zoo coupon, which was very generous.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Lunch was good and the waiter was great!!! Cute little restaurant nestled into the hustle/bustle of La Jolla!!! So close to the ocean - nice walk after lunch!