“A Whale of a Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Herringbone

Herringbone
Reserve with OpenTable
Herringbone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Located in the coastal community of La Jolla, Herringbone offers "Fish Meats Field" cuisine by Top Chef Season 3's Brian Malarkey.
San Francisco, California, United States
“A Whale of a Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

The food was mouth-watering. The atmosphere is great. Huge trees in the dining room. A whale hanging from the ceiling. Blowfish chandeliers. They were so nice to us even though we had the only two year old in the place.

• Visited January 2013

• Arabic first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited for dinner on Saturday night, great music adding to the atmosphere.
Superb lighting amongst the very old olive trees are varied and wonderful.
Food was fantastic, great fish dishes all round with a solid wine list to accompany.

California
“Lunch At Herringbone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Herringbone was recommended to my wife and I by a close relative. We were in the area for the day and decided to give it a try. The lunch menu was limited but adequate. My wife and her Aunt ordered the "Black Forest Ham " sandwich which they both enjoyed. I ordered the "Albacore and Avocado Burger" RARE. I was expecting a slab or albacore tuna with sliced avocado on top on a burger bun. What I received-very well done- was a ground tuna patty with sliced avocado. Not what I had anticipated and overdone. The restaurant was very slow as it was 1:30 PM on a Sunday afternoon and the kitchen got it wrong. I sent back my order and it was replaced immediately with a new set-up and bun with raw tuna patty in the middle-I was not thrilled.The server however was very efficient and pleasant-so, no complaints there.The ladies had 1 glass of wine each and the check amount with tax was just over $75.00...a bit pricey for my taste-please excuse the pun.

fort lauderdale
“lacking in taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Wonderful ambiance. Exceptional service. However, the food was a bit bland and overcooked, especially the highly priced halibut. Quite dissapointed in the food.

San Diego, California
“Hip Joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Wonderful, fresh food - great atmosphere!!! The place was buzzing when we arrived on Friday night. The place is done like a huge rustic wooden fishing shed with a bar in the middle and olive trees scattered all through. At one end you can see through massive glass windows right into the kitchen... altogether a great look. I started with a cocktail - the Tokyo Love Hotel (!) - made with vodka and their own infused teas - lovely - but the food is why you go. I had the Hood Canal oysters to start, fresh from Washington State. I'm fussy about oysters, but these were beeaaauuutiful... just bursting with flavor. My husband had the Shrimp Grits - wow! - out of this world. The 'grits' weren't grits as such, but an incredible combination of roast carrot, creme fraiche, pancetta etc which sent us both into raptures! This is a MUST if you go there. Then we shared the oven roasted Bass - done to perfection and delicious. And the service was attentive and informative. I have already recommended this place to a couple of friends. I suppose if I had one complaint it would be the acoustics - just because it's such a large space. But don't let that turn you off - go and enjoy those shrimp grits!

• Visited March 2013