“Great experience”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband & I were looking for a spa resort for a 2-night getaway. Given the height of the season, we had a hard time finding anything in Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara and/or San Diego that was available for under $500 a night. I then saw the Estancia on tripadvsior.com. What a great find!! True, the resort is off the main drag of La Jolla but that's a big part of its charm. We felt totally secluded once we were inside the property. The grounds are beautiful. The resort is large but very easy to navigate. Our courtyard, 2nd floor room was good sized and very nicely appointed. We especially appreciated the thick doors and soundproofing. We ate dinner at both Mustang & Burros and Adobe El restaurants. I actually preferred the relaxed atmosphere of Mustang & Burros but the menu is somewhat limited. Adobe is more formal and much more expensive. The spa services were very nice and the gym had a good selection of equipment. Most impressive is the staff. Everyone we dealt with was pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable. We encountered 2 minor problems during our stay and both issues were handled quickly and efficiently. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed here one night after attending a wedding in town. There was a dispute with the original quoted price but as I had not saved my reservation I couldn't confirm the price. The room is okay, and fairly clean. The next morning, we were the only room it seemed that did not get a newspaper on our door, I called to ask for one and over 45 minutes passed so I went to the front desk myself. The nice lady was apologetic but still.... At the restaurant on Sunday morning brunch only served. SUPER slow service. My husband ordered a bloody mary and I ordered a virgin bloody mary. I had asked about the different types (in the room service menu it lists about 6 different mixes) and the waiter brushed it off and said there was only one type. Hmmm. We then asked for ice water. It never came. My husband ordered another bloody mary and bet that it would come before the water came. I asked for horseradish to add to the cocktail sauce for the chilled shrimp. The waiter brought hollandaise sauce. It seemed like there is some real miscommunication among the waitstaff... I don't know where they find these people. I could have had the whole restaurant taken care of, especially for a brunch!!!! They then tried to charge us for two brunches when my husband didn't even eat and made it clear when we were seated. The bloody Marys were $10 each, even for the virgin!!!!! unreal.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia90266
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We just got back from staying at Estancia. It is a lovely resort and very clean and lush.
We booked a "Estate King" with the AMEX that allows an upgrade if available. Upon check-in I asked about this and was told that the room location was an upgrade, hmm. But the Estate King is noted as rooms with a courtyard/pool view. We had the courtyard view. I didn't press the subject again. Our room was very nice, but very small. We had a private entrance with a door on the first floor, normally it would of been wonderful, but the room was a bit stuffy and it would of been great if we could of opened the front door. There was the one chair on the outside on the small patio-like area in front of our room. There was no room for another.
The grounds are just beautiful, at night they have candles, fire pit's, all over the place. You felt like you were in New Mexico or AZ. We didn't eat at the hotel since we were out most of the day.

This was our first time in La Jolla and it really is a affluent clean area. There is a shopping mall down the street from the hotel that is just like the Century City Mall that has Nordstrom, Macy's and a host of other high end stores.

Would I stay here again? I would but I would book a suite as the standard rooms are just too small.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 29, 2007

While in La Jolla, my boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. We had a wonderful experience and all staff members with whom we interacted were very polite and helpful. Our room was pretty standard for a top hotel (and VERY clean), but what made the place so exceptional were the gardens. We loved just being amid such beautiful and well-kept plantings. Every morning we'd have coffee in the courtyard and every night we'd sit on a bench in the courtyard and have a glass of wine. We have stayed at many top hotels but never felt so "away from it all" and in such a lovely, peaceful setting while being in an urban area. I would stay again at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa in a second.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our tour of California. There is a very relaxed atmosphere about this hotel and we loved it here. We had a lovely king bedded room with balcony overlooking a courtyard. One thing that we did find strange was that there was only one chair on the balcony and it was a double room! You can always take the chair from the desk out onto it if you wish. The pool area is lovely with lots of towels and sunbeds available at all times. There are always plenty of staff around should you require a drink/food and when anyone leaves their towels are removed and replaced with fresh ones ready for the next guest. There is also a good spa with lots of different treatments available. We had breakfast in the hotel every morning and the choice was very good. Everything was very fresh and well presented. The staff were also very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them. Security in the hotel is very tight and you need your key card to access the pool and any other area of the hotel. We liked this as it felt very secure. One thing to point out is that the hotel is not within walking distance of any restaurants, shops etc. therefore you always have to take the car if you want to visit La Jolla itself. If we returned to La Jolla (an area that we liked very much) then we would stay at the Estancia La Jolla again.

3  Thank Miss_Pie
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We booked a two-night stay over the 4th of July. The hotel property is gorgeous, with lots of candles, winding pathways, and a definate 'hacienda' feel.

We'd booked through Expedia, and were pleased with the rate for such a major holiday in a tourist destination. Upon check-in we were offered a 'view' upgrade for $20 and opted to take it. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the balconies are small with only one chair - but our view was across the courtyard to the portly gentleman smoking a cigar on his balcony. Hmmm, not quite the view expected for an extra $20.

Right off the bat we had issues with service. Our room key card wouldn't open the door...so we trekked back to the lobby. The key was re-scanned with little comment. Back to the room - one key worked, the other didn't. Back to the lobby. This time we were issued new keycards, again with little comment or apology. Later that evening we discovered that only one key card operated the gates on the property (and there are bunches of gates!) - by this time we just gave up.

The other issue is about the toiletries. I noticed in another posting that the shampoo, soaps, etc are only replaced on request. Pretty unimpressive for a 'top quality' resort property. To add insult, our shampoo was half-empty upon our arrival! Geez - at least give the new guests fresh shampoo!

The good things...the restaurant Burros and Mustang is great. We had a long, leisurely, unrushed dinner. Although most people were seated outside, we opted for the indoor seating. It was a great choice! The food was fabulous, the service was unhurried - can't say enough.
The wine bar is also a great option. Free wine tasting on Thursday nights - and some really great wine.

Would we go back? Probably not - especially for spa hotel prices. There are plenty of hotels in the San Diego/La Jolla area that fall within that price-point -- I'd pick another.

2  Thank NativeSoCal
Estancia, General Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2007

Thank you for your very meaningful time and feedback. We do pride ourselves on reliable, dedicated and efficient service at Estancia, and I truly apologize that your experience was contrary. Our housekeeping staff meets daily to discuss service issues and is consistently improving; your comments were relayed and action will be taken. We encourage you to revisit Estancia to truly experience the culture, uniquness and award-winning service at our property.

Reviewed June 16, 2007

I was a member of a wedding party and stayed for two nights at this hotel. I found the staff to be incompetent and patronizing in many regards.

They did not have my reserved suite available, nor did they have the reserved suites for other members of the party. The staff had the audacity to try to convince me that a lesser suite was comparable!

My room was changed 3 times in two days. I was guaranteed that I would not be charged. When I returned to my home I found that I was charged for each move. To be fair, hotel staff are helping me resolve this billing error, but this type of error should not occur in a hotel of this (supposed) class.

I paid for a wedding package which was to include a dinner for two and a bottle of wine. I did not get the bottle of wine, and I was charged for the meal. When I pointed-out the error to the staff, I was credited for the meal, but only after much debate. I never did get the wine.

The quality of the food was good - not great - but expensive. The restaurants, room service, and hotel shop (aspirin, etc.,) maintain very limited hours. Try getting something to eat, or an aspirin for a headache before 0800!!

There is no concierge. There is no airport shuttle -- you must make your own arrangements. However, now that I know how disorganized the staff are, perhaps this is a good thing.

I would not recommend the Estancia La Jolla. The staff are incompetent. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gusandgoldie
Estancia, General Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2007

Thank you for your feedback in which you expressed your disappointment with your recent visit to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa. Every guest’s experience is extremely significant to us, as we aim to provide uniquely memorable experiences and unparalleled service on behalf of 310 associates. Occasionally, we fall short of our goals and your expectations. For this I apologize.

As a team, we are working to ensure that your guest experience is not repeated. We have held meetings in to discuss the service challenges faced at the Front Desk and Restaurants during your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience of your room change and incorrect billing fees. I have made it my personal priority to address the associates on duty concerning these important service matters.

We recognize you as a valued guest and I ask that you give us another chance to prove that your recent experience was an exception and not the standard that we have set for ourselves. Thank you for your meaningful time and feedback.