“Lovely property - service a little deficient”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We booked a two-night stay over the 4th of July. The hotel property is gorgeous, with lots of candles, winding pathways, and a definate 'hacienda' feel.

We'd booked through Expedia, and were pleased with the rate for such a major holiday in a tourist destination. Upon check-in we were offered a 'view' upgrade for $20 and opted to take it. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the balconies are small with only one chair - but our view was across the courtyard to the portly gentleman smoking a cigar on his balcony. Hmmm, not quite the view expected for an extra $20.

Right off the bat we had issues with service. Our room key card wouldn't open the door...so we trekked back to the lobby. The key was re-scanned with little comment. Back to the room - one key worked, the other didn't. Back to the lobby. This time we were issued new keycards, again with little comment or apology. Later that evening we discovered that only one key card operated the gates on the property (and there are bunches of gates!) - by this time we just gave up.

The other issue is about the toiletries. I noticed in another posting that the shampoo, soaps, etc are only replaced on request. Pretty unimpressive for a 'top quality' resort property. To add insult, our shampoo was half-empty upon our arrival! Geez - at least give the new guests fresh shampoo!

The good things...the restaurant Burros and Mustang is great. We had a long, leisurely, unrushed dinner. Although most people were seated outside, we opted for the indoor seating. It was a great choice! The food was fabulous, the service was unhurried - can't say enough.
The wine bar is also a great option. Free wine tasting on Thursday nights - and some really great wine.

Would we go back? Probably not - especially for spa hotel prices. There are plenty of hotels in the San Diego/La Jolla area that fall within that price-point -- I'd pick another.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NativeSoCal
Estancia, General Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2007

Thank you for your very meaningful time and feedback. We do pride ourselves on reliable, dedicated and efficient service at Estancia, and I truly apologize that your experience was contrary. Our housekeeping staff meets daily to discuss service issues and is consistently improving; your comments were relayed and action will be taken. We encourage you to revisit Estancia to truly experience the culture, uniquness and award-winning service at our property.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed June 16, 2007

I was a member of a wedding party and stayed for two nights at this hotel. I found the staff to be incompetent and patronizing in many regards.

They did not have my reserved suite available, nor did they have the reserved suites for other members of the party. The staff had the audacity to try to convince me that a lesser suite was comparable!

My room was changed 3 times in two days. I was guaranteed that I would not be charged. When I returned to my home I found that I was charged for each move. To be fair, hotel staff are helping me resolve this billing error, but this type of error should not occur in a hotel of this (supposed) class.

I paid for a wedding package which was to include a dinner for two and a bottle of wine. I did not get the bottle of wine, and I was charged for the meal. When I pointed-out the error to the staff, I was credited for the meal, but only after much debate. I never did get the wine.

The quality of the food was good - not great - but expensive. The restaurants, room service, and hotel shop (aspirin, etc.,) maintain very limited hours. Try getting something to eat, or an aspirin for a headache before 0800!!

There is no concierge. There is no airport shuttle -- you must make your own arrangements. However, now that I know how disorganized the staff are, perhaps this is a good thing.

I would not recommend the Estancia La Jolla. The staff are incompetent. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gusandgoldie
Estancia, General Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2007

Thank you for your feedback in which you expressed your disappointment with your recent visit to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa. Every guest’s experience is extremely significant to us, as we aim to provide uniquely memorable experiences and unparalleled service on behalf of 310 associates. Occasionally, we fall short of our goals and your expectations. For this I apologize.

As a team, we are working to ensure that your guest experience is not repeated. We have held meetings in to discuss the service challenges faced at the Front Desk and Restaurants during your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience of your room change and incorrect billing fees. I have made it my personal priority to address the associates on duty concerning these important service matters.

We recognize you as a valued guest and I ask that you give us another chance to prove that your recent experience was an exception and not the standard that we have set for ourselves. Thank you for your meaningful time and feedback.

Reviewed June 10, 2007

We booked a 3-night romantic getaway at Estancia La Jolla, I think it was called the La Jolla Escape package, which included a $100 credit at the Adobe restaurant, a nice bottle of Cabernet, and they waived the valet parking and resort service fees.

The property is absolutely gorgeous, and very well maintained. As you can see from the website photos, it is a Spanish-style property, with breathtaking landscaping, and lots of candles everywhere. The salt-water pool was really nice, with great mojitos from the pool bar. As a fun touch, they had movies on a projection screen Thursday night and Saturday night out by the pool and jacuzzi.

Their casual restaurant/bar Burros and Mustangs was very charming with most of the seating outside facing a large outdoor fireplace. It felt like being at someone's home, as they had a lot of upholstered benches, pillows on the chairs, and just a really neat feel. They had a very talented Spanish guitar player Thursday night, and a band Saturday night. We weren't that impressed with Adobe restaurant, their more formal dining option. But for dinner at Burros and Mustangs, we had a Crabcake burger, and an Ahi Tuna Burger that were both great. They had a great beer list, and their sangria was delicious. I would stick to Burros and Mustangs for a more casual dinner, and venture out to downtown La Jolla for your formal dinner.

The beds at Estancia were fabulously comfortable, and the rooms were nicely appointed. Everything was very classy, and very clean. I would not necessarily recommend bringing children to this resort. It's not really geared for kids, and I appreciated not seeing many kids, since I gratefully left mine behind with their grandparents. It's very upscale, and not for young kids, especially.

For some reason, the front desk had problems with our final bill on check-out. The package rate was not reflected on our bill, and it took three people to figure it out. Not a huge deal, but I heard multiple people outside complaining about the check-out process. That would be my only beef......they seem to be still ironing out the kinks on their accounting system, and it took much longer than it should have to rectify the situation.

We hope to return.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank heidit
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I felt like I was staying at a Ritz Carlton. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful. The staff was wonderful. My mother and I had gone done to La Jolla so that she could see a Pulmonary Specialist at UCSD. The hotel gave us a substantial discount. She also cannot walk far without being out of breath and I had no trouble with her wheelchair around the grounds. There are extra fees, $9 per day for amenities and the parking is $17 for self park, $22 for valet, but they were very upfront regarding these fees so there were no surprises. When we arrived they greeted us with champagne. How nice is that! This is a great to come and never leave. There are many places to just sit and read a book or relax. The spa and pool area are teriffic. We each had spa treatments and they were heavenly. The food was delious and large portions. Many placces to eat and have a drink. One of the bars also has games, backgammon, dominos, etc. if you're in the mood. I cannot say enough about our stay! I will definetly be back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bosanova99
Reviewed May 27, 2007

We had a short holiday weekend stay at this property. The hotel is somewhat isolated on the edge of the UCSD campus and a bit of a drive to La Jolla village. The hotel is very clean, with lots of attention to detail (champagne in the lobby for check in refreshment, nice in-room amenities and lovely grounds). I thought that the cost was a bit out of line for what was offered. I was shocked that the resort charges for parking ($17 a day). The weekend we visited, a large wedding was being held on the property and wedding attendees were permitted to self-park in the area that we paid $17/day to park in -- and they took up so much of the parking that we were forced to park the equivalent of about a block from the entrance to our wing.

The room was very attractive and the bathroom a good size with separate "room" for the commode. The furnishings were comfortable and clean. I would be remiss if I did not state here that we had to ask to be moved from our first room. The carpets had been shampooed in that room and were still wet -- and we quickly discovered why when the distinct smell of urine was easily detected in the corner next to the bed. The hotel quickly reassigned us.

The price promised through expedia was not honored due to the holiday weekend (it was about $30 more/night).

Another oddity at this beautiful property was that although each room has a balcony or patio to overlook the lovely grounds, each one only has ONE chair!! The patios and balconies were quite small and would have had difficulty accommodating one more chair, thus rendering them fairly useless.

The pool and spa were lovely with a large fireplace nearby. The rooms were quiet and we slept extremely well.

Overall, I think this resort is overpriced for what it offers and for its desolate location. I can't comment on the spa or the restaurant (although room service provided an excellent breakfast at quite a hefty charge). We attempted to eat breakfast one morning in the restaurant but were put off by too many kids running around between their tables and the buffet (there is only a buffet offered on Sunday mornings). The grounds are beautiful, the rooms attractive.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jw92869
Reviewed April 29, 2007

I booked a room for my mother through travelocity at Estancia in April 2007. While the hotel is beautiful and the gardens lovely, we were very disappointed with the hotel. The room we had booked was $200 and was overlooking the parking lot as all the rooms in that category do. There were a lot of extra fees – for example a $9 amenity fee that was supposed to cover the newspaper, internet (which my mom did not use), soap and toiletries (which were not replenished every day -she had to ask), coffee (again, not restocked every day). Parking was an extra $17 a day. Her room had a faint smell of smoke and she had very noisy neighbors who woke up at 6 am everyday. The hotel did not do anything to take care of the situation (smoke/noise).
The pool is very nice but was overheated and felt more like a jacuzzi – it is not possible to comfortably swim in water that is that hot.
Lastly, when she checked into the hotel, my mom asked if she could get some fresh fruit (an apple). We looked for a fruit basket in the lobby to no avail. I asked the front desk who sent in room service with a $17 fruit plate that included a rotten strawberry. That was a bad way to start the stay. She spent 10 nights at the hotel.

Overall, with all the extra fees, the room cost in excess of $260. Had I known, I would have researched other options. This was a real disappointment.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank Frogprincesse
Reviewed April 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed for one evening last week and found the hotel to be terrific. I was impressed with the room comfort and amenities for the price range (upper $200s). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room itself was bright and relaxing.

We did not get to take advantage of the pool or spa but both appeared to be beautiful. We had dinner at the grill and breakfast at the more formal restaurant - service was top-notch at both and the food was delicous.

Although we did not stay for long, I would definitely recommend the hotel for families and/or couples that would like to explore San Diego/La Jolla.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank freqtrav88