We booked a two-night stay over the 4th of July. The hotel property is gorgeous, with lots of candles, winding pathways, and a definate 'hacienda' feel.
We'd booked through Expedia, and were pleased with the rate for such a major holiday in a tourist destination. Upon check-in we were offered a 'view' upgrade for $20 and opted to take it. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the balconies are small with only one chair - but our view was across the courtyard to the portly gentleman smoking a cigar on his balcony. Hmmm, not quite the view expected for an extra $20.
Right off the bat we had issues with service. Our room key card wouldn't open the door...so we trekked back to the lobby. The key was re-scanned with little comment. Back to the room - one key worked, the other didn't. Back to the lobby. This time we were issued new keycards, again with little comment or apology. Later that evening we discovered that only one key card operated the gates on the property (and there are bunches of gates!) - by this time we just gave up.
The other issue is about the toiletries. I noticed in another posting that the shampoo, soaps, etc are only replaced on request. Pretty unimpressive for a 'top quality' resort property. To add insult, our shampoo was half-empty upon our arrival! Geez - at least give the new guests fresh shampoo!
The good things...the restaurant Burros and Mustang is great. We had a long, leisurely, unrushed dinner. Although most people were seated outside, we opted for the indoor seating. It was a great choice! The food was fabulous, the service was unhurried - can't say enough.
The wine bar is also a great option. Free wine tasting on Thursday nights - and some really great wine.
Would we go back? Probably not - especially for spa hotel prices. There are plenty of hotels in the San Diego/La Jolla area that fall within that price-point -- I'd pick another.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A California-coastal rancho setting on 10 acres conveniently located between the two quaint seaside villages of La Jolla and Del Mar and adjacent to world-class Torrey Pines Golf Course, Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa offers a range of upscale accommodations from charming rancho style deluxe rooms to expansive suites with world-class facilities and exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel And Spa