“Over-rated”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 4, 2006

This is a really beatiful property, and I particularly enjoyed the live music by the outdoor fireplace. The room decor is substandard for this price range, though, and service is very indifferent. The food is far better (and a far better value) in the village of La Jolla. Please note this hotel is a substantial distance from the village.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank WineLover5000
Estancia, General Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2006

Dining is an important experience for every guest at the hotel. As we aim to provide the highest quality and service, we apparently fell short of our goals and expectations with your visit. We have not only notified the department leaders of Food and Beverage, but all associates that would contribute to your dining experience. Without guest feedback we could not continually improve, as we strive to with every guest and opinion. Thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Reviewed November 1, 2006

This was a beautiful hotel. We loved the hotel, the pool and spa/ The beds were so comfortable after a long day of site seeing. Beautiful fireplaces, live music and outdoor dining. Close to the Scripps Aquarium,. Nearby there are plenty of places to eat and shop in La Jolla. We drove down to San Diego for the zoo and sea world and up to LA. Good location. Close to the beach. You need a car to get around.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled with family
4  Thank blazeafyre
Reviewed October 25, 2006

I stayed three nights and found it a fantastic place. Everyone was super nice to me, they worked hard to give me a room with a great view of a courtyard, and I personally loved the southern california mission architecture and style- i thought it was incredibly stylish. The beds, with crisp white sheets and duvet, was amazing. Overall, everyone was great- and this hotel had the best room service breakfast i've ever ordered. I know this sounds overly effusive but I just loved my stay there- for the room, the hotel, and the people. And I have pretty high standards. My only complaint was that the free internet wireless signal was pretty weak in my room- i almost considered asking for a new room with a stronger signal.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank chrisengletx
Reviewed September 23, 2006

We staying with my daughter (5) and my niece (12) and had a really enjoyable time. Sadly when we checked in they only had a room facing the parking lot. When I called to see if we could move to a room closer to the pool area or the court yard, they didn't have anything left.

The girls loved the activities by the pool (tie dying tshirts and face painting) and my husband and I had a great massage at the spa - Charlie is fabulous!! We enjoyed the wonderful breakfast we ordered at the main restaurant - presented beautifully and really delicious. We also had dinner in the courtyard/patio of the Mexican restaurant. Live music and good food made it a real treat for all of us.

The rooms are comfortable and decorated well. I loved the vanity in our bathroom and the colors used in the room. The staff we helpful and I especially appreciated the landscaping and ambience of the grounds. We did the whole Sea World and SDZoo thing and found this to be a great area to stay away from all of that touristy stuff, while still being comfortably able to access it all. We also spent a day wondering around La Jolla and the beach. Very enjoyable with great restaurants and galleries - even the kids enjoyed it. We would definitely return to the area and the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank BloomDiva
Reviewed September 11, 2006

My mother and I opted for the Mother-Daughter Spa Getaway package on Labor Day weekend. Upon check-in we were offered champagne and the staff was very courteous. We were told the entire resort was booked that weekend therefore could not get a late check out. The rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable. (Free internet definitely a plus) However, it was a long walk from the lobby. If you plan to enjoy the spa, make sure to book your treatments at the time you book your reservation. When we actually got to the resort, we found out the Spa was completely SOLD OUT for the weekend and we were stuck with using $100 toward the gift shop and restaurant. Overall it was a relaxing and nice place to stay. Even with the hotel booked up, it was quiet and people were so spread out you didn't even see them.

• Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank travelin_gal05
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I was very apprehensive about staying at La Estancia, since the other reviews were not good at all, in particular regarding the service. However, I thought the service was outstanding. I also thought the food was great, the pool was wonderful, and the property was really lovely in general. Very well taken care of, and very thoughtfully planned out. My daughter and I had a girls' trip, and we really loved it. I would definitely recommend a return trip. Its very well situated, avoiding the La Jolla traffic jam, and has ample room to stroll around. There was a beautiful huge wedding while we were there and it didnt impact our visit at all. All in all, a great stay (and I am very picky!)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank hp1966
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We stayed at the Estancia for five nights the last week of July.
We secure an internet special room with two queen beds, and was very happy with the accomodations for the special price. The room was sound proof enough, as we have two young kids, and did not want to bother other visitors. Check in was swift, and we were offered valent and bell hop, but we did not need these, as we just wanted to park our car in the lot close to the room and unload in our own time. We had a devine early evening meal during happy hour at Mustangs and Burros but it is expensive. The surroundings consist of well manicured landscapes and gardens. The pool was wonderful as an evening respite and the day spa was lovely, however the whirlpool was broken on the day I went. We also had the buffet breakfast which again was expensive but amazingly great!
This is truly a fourstar hotel experience, but is mostly geared to excutive business travelers. I do highly recommend this lovely hotel.

2  Thank mdevol