Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
1,512 results
All reviewsmustangs and burrosadobe restaurantsalk institutehospitality feewine barbeautiful groundsglider portsan diegooutdoor fireplaceresort feevalet parkingbeautiful hotelper dayucsd campuspool area isbottled waterupon check
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Our stay in Estancia turned out to be far from our expectations. Don’t be full by their four star appeal. I’d like to quote one of the previous reviewers “ Problems will happen specially with new establishments but it is how they respond to those problems and situations that makes a difference.”
Management of this place is far from perfect.
The hotel had a wedding celebration the night we came in. I waked up in about 5:30 am the next day due to a noise from the courtyard. Some of the hotel employees were loading up tables and chairs after the event or setting something up for the next day. It continued for an hour. I was really upset because we came down to San Diego to escape from 105 degree hit in Los Angeles. I wanted to have a one night without AC and therefore I kept my windows open. At the check out I mentioned this problem to a reception manager. She said I was the only one complaining about the noise. She had no knowledge about any preparations that were scheduled for that early morning. Another traveler that was checking out next to me noted that he did hear this noise too. I am absolutely sure that many people were disturbed by this noise in the morning and complained to the administration prior to my check out. Meanwhile the manager kept straight face and continued to insist that nothing had happened. Since we were checking out in about 2pm.
I don’t even want to go into other little mishaps that took place but it was my last stay in this establishment and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed July 14, 2006

When I checked in, I had requested a room with 2 Queens only to find at check in that they were out of rooms with 2Q. They gladly put a rollaway in my room to accomodate my family and offered a food and beverage credit for my troubles.

Parking is just standard nowadays, so I did expect some charge for parking self. I decided to just splurge and went with the valet. I know the reviews believe that $17 a day to park is outrageous, but just be glad that self parking is even an option! I've been at other hotels where you can only valet and is more than $25.00 per day not including gratuity!

As for the Hospitality Services fee, I find it VERY helpful that it includes the wireless internet, the fitness center, the business center (unlimited copies and print outs), local phone calls/toll free calls, faxes, the coffee and the local paper. The front desk even offered to send me the NY Times, LA Times, Wall Street Journal and the USA today at no additional cost daily in the morning for my entire stay. It also includes complimentary boarding pass print outs at the front desk. Those people who complain about this really haven't spent time in other hotels where they nickle and dime you for everything you have. The Hotel Del charges $22 a day for the same thing and charges an extra $25.00 for a rollaway! And both are four star hotels.

I had also booked my reservation through Expedia[--] and learned from the front desk that all hotels (including this one and Starwood Hotels & other hotel chains) do price matching and explained to me why. The hotel will price match any rate that is advertised for my stay and give me an additional %15 percent off. Starwood does the same and even gives you the option of just taking SPG points saving me even MORE money. She explained to me that out of the rate that I paid, the hotel only recieves 50-60% of that rate while the third party recieves the rest. That's great customer service!

They also have a little Ranchero check in for the children. It's so cute. While we were checking in the front desk checked in my children and gave them membership cards to the different outlets where they had recieved a free scoop of ice cream, a free smoothie and more snacks as the trip went along. They also got a cowboy hat/badge, a toy and a coloring book. WOW.

We adults had some of the sparkling wine @ check in which was lovely. The grounds were pristine. Full of families.

Katherine the concierge was VERY helpful. The Bellstaff & Valet were absolute gentlemen. Consistanly helpful.

The restaraunt food in the main restaraunt was so delicious. That was one of the best parts of our stay. Kudos to the Chef.

I believe that there were only a few negative experience was the spa. It was not well maintained and not fully staffed. I only could get the facial, but not the massage. When I inquired as to what was going on that the staff was so busy, they had told me that everyone had quit. There were cups and robes everywhere. The pool is VERY small. And lapswim time really doesn't happen. When I woke up to do some laps, there were families with children already at the pool. Also the "refreshment center" can hardly be called that. The selection is VERY minimal to even call in a mini bar. And $5.09 for a small bottle of disguisting house water?! That is outrageous. $7.63 for a tiny bottle of Evian?! Take my advice and stop by a gas station and stock up on water.

Service wise, the front desk and food and beverage need no change. The Spa does.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Good part - beautiful hotel and grounds, pretty rooms, comfortable beds.

Bad part - everything else. The service and food are really bad. The spa had only one shower available which had lotion and hair all over the walls. I told the spa desk, and the lady shrugged her shoulders - didn't care. The food was OK, but definitely not worth the price.
The staff around the pool was more concerned with lounging and talking to each other than taking orders or serving the customers - even when I asked to place an order.

My bill was incorrect and I had to call three times to get it taken care of.

Left a message for the hotel manager about the problems and he never called back.

This place is very over priced for what you get. Stay at the 4 Seasons, or La Costa. About the same price as what I paid, but at least you get good service and you get your money's worth.

I would absolutely not recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank rlsybrandy
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Although the website, rooms and gardens were beautiful and well maintained, that's not enough to make me want to return. It's all a facade!

The staff at the Adobe restuarant was extermely slow and unattentive. We didn't provide us with any bread while we waited for our food, we didn't get a refill on our ice tea, and $40 (includes tip) only got us 2 sandwiches. Quizno's would've offered us a better.

Self parking was $17 per day. There weren't even enough parking spaces for all the cars they let in but they parked illegally anyway.

The Spa never returned my call! I was not about to call them back, since not returning my call was a sure sign they did not want my business. And if the spa staff is anything like their restaurant staff I'm very happy I saved my money.

The Pool staff passed by us numerous times without once asking us if we wanted anything. When we got up to leave we saw 2 ladies in uniform just chit chatting. The screaming childern were poorly covered up by the Gypsy Kings CD that was on repeat all day long. To top off our pool visit, people were smoking, childern were throwing around a football and cannon ball jumping.

3  Thank travellerSFO
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We just stayed at the hotel (July 4th weekend) and loved it. Unlike other recent reviews, our rooms were well appointed and comfortable (and that comfort includes the towels and bathrobes which were not sandpaper or paper thin). Check in was very nice, the staff was very friendly and there were no reservation mistakes. The beds were comfortable and the view of the immaculate grounds was also very nice. The food at the main restaurant was excellent as was the service, which was provided without delay or attitude.

Some have been outraged by the $9.00 daily fee charged--I and my family had no issue with this. Several things were provided--a free movie at the pool (which we did not attend) and the free internet and newspaper, so having paid much more than $9.00 for internet alone, anything else covered by this fee was a bonus.

I am not sure what happened on other's trips recently, but all of us (4 of us, two rooms) loved the hotel and had a wonderful time. We would recommend it to any of our friends.

2  Thank tolistravelers