Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
$199
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
$352
Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$149
  • Breakfast included
San Diego Marriott La Jolla(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$235
$189
  • Restaurant
$127
  • Breakfast included
Grande Colonial La Jolla(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$249
Travelocity
  • Pool
La Valencia Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$279
$237
Travelocity
  • Pool
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$127
$399
  • Pool
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$169
Sheraton.com
1,512 results
All reviewsmustangs and burrosadobe restaurantsalk institutehospitality feewine barbeautiful groundsglider portsan diegooutdoor fireplaceresort feevalet parkingbeautiful hotelper dayucsd campuspool area isbottled waterupon check
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Good part - beautiful hotel and grounds, pretty rooms, comfortable beds.

Bad part - everything else. The service and food are really bad. The spa had only one shower available which had lotion and hair all over the walls. I told the spa desk, and the lady shrugged her shoulders - didn't care. The food was OK, but definitely not worth the price.
The staff around the pool was more concerned with lounging and talking to each other than taking orders or serving the customers - even when I asked to place an order.

My bill was incorrect and I had to call three times to get it taken care of.

Left a message for the hotel manager about the problems and he never called back.

This place is very over priced for what you get. Stay at the 4 Seasons, or La Costa. About the same price as what I paid, but at least you get good service and you get your money's worth.

I would absolutely not recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank rlsybrandy
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Although the website, rooms and gardens were beautiful and well maintained, that's not enough to make me want to return. It's all a facade!

The staff at the Adobe restuarant was extermely slow and unattentive. We didn't provide us with any bread while we waited for our food, we didn't get a refill on our ice tea, and $40 (includes tip) only got us 2 sandwiches. Quizno's would've offered us a better.

Self parking was $17 per day. There weren't even enough parking spaces for all the cars they let in but they parked illegally anyway.

The Spa never returned my call! I was not about to call them back, since not returning my call was a sure sign they did not want my business. And if the spa staff is anything like their restaurant staff I'm very happy I saved my money.

The Pool staff passed by us numerous times without once asking us if we wanted anything. When we got up to leave we saw 2 ladies in uniform just chit chatting. The screaming childern were poorly covered up by the Gypsy Kings CD that was on repeat all day long. To top off our pool visit, people were smoking, childern were throwing around a football and cannon ball jumping.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank travellerSFO
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We just stayed at the hotel (July 4th weekend) and loved it. Unlike other recent reviews, our rooms were well appointed and comfortable (and that comfort includes the towels and bathrobes which were not sandpaper or paper thin). Check in was very nice, the staff was very friendly and there were no reservation mistakes. The beds were comfortable and the view of the immaculate grounds was also very nice. The food at the main restaurant was excellent as was the service, which was provided without delay or attitude.

Some have been outraged by the $9.00 daily fee charged--I and my family had no issue with this. Several things were provided--a free movie at the pool (which we did not attend) and the free internet and newspaper, so having paid much more than $9.00 for internet alone, anything else covered by this fee was a bonus.

I am not sure what happened on other's trips recently, but all of us (4 of us, two rooms) loved the hotel and had a wonderful time. We would recommend it to any of our friends.

2  Thank tolistravelers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2006

My husband and I just spent one night at Estancia (July 1st-2nd). My expectations were just ‘so-so’ after reading some of these reviews but we turned out to be REALLY impressed! Unless you are accustomed to full-on celebrity treatment and are already living a life of 5 star service, you will absolutely love this place! Yes, they do charge a weird $17 parking fee and $9 hospitality fee, but other than that we had absolutely no complaints.

The sprawling grounds were gorgeous and lushly landscaped, the Mustangs Bar and Grill had a live mariachi band which we enjoyed as we had tapas and margaritas outside by the fireplace, and every staff member we encountered was so friendly and helpful. The rooms and common areas were immaculately clean and furnished in a sort of 'Pottery Barn hacienda style'. The pool area felt very luxurious with the cabanas and palm trees and even though it was hopping with kids on a holiday weekend, it was still a totally relaxing environment.

As resorts go in terms of beautiful SoCal getaways, I would compare the Estancia to the Surf and Sand Hotel in Laguna. No, the Estancia isn't right on the ocean, but it’s significantly cheaper and you can drive to a number of beaches in less than 5 minutes. Make sure to check out the Torrey Pines State Beach - amazing cliffs, clean sand and rolling waves - great for swimming and sunbathing. Then in the town of La Jolla there are the Cove beaches which are fun for snorkeling, kayaking, looking at sea life in the tide pools, and great pictures. We definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We stayed at Estancia during my niece's UCSD orientation weekend because it was within meters of the campus. We were impressed by the colorful gardens and headed straight for the spa where we had made appointments that morning. When we got there the receptionist informed us that our appointments were mistakenly scheduled for the following day, which happened to be the day we were leaving. She offered no apology for the mistake even though she was the one who spoke to me on the phone at the time that I made the appointments. She really didn't offer any other solution other than suggesting that we try another spa. We were really disappointed about missing out on the massages, so when we went to check into our rooms we told the concierge about our spa mishap and asked if she could recommend another spa in the area. She was really sympathetic and helpful and immediately picked up the phone and scheduled appointments for us at their sister property Hotel Valencia. She saved the day!
Our hotel room was kind of small, but it was clean, sunny and comfortable and I liked the tiny private patio. The bathroom was spacious and bright, too. Later that night we went for a swim in the heated pool and relaxed in the little cabanas which was fun. We were looking forward to the breakfast at the Adobe Restaurant the next morning because it was voted one of the Best of La Jolla. We were once again disappointed. Service was insanely slow and none of us got quite what we orded. For example, I ordered the poached egg with spinach and it was supposed to have crispy pancetta, but the cook forgot to put the pancetta in- that was supposed to be the best part. When I told the waiter, he apologized and rushed back into the kitchen. I assumed he was bringing me a new order because he was gone for so long, but when he finally returned, he placed a small plate of oily bacon in front of me! To add insult to injury, our breakfast for 4 ran us over a $100 for messed up eggs, bland breakfast potatoes and OJ!
I don't know what AAA was thinking when they gave this place a 4 diamond rating. Other than the room rates, nothing at this hotel beckoned 4 diamonds!

• Stayed: May 2006