“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed April 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Estancia for our honeymoon and we had a great experience. Our room was really nice and comfortable.. the bathroom was huge. The style of the hotel has a Spanish flair to it and really adds to your experience in San Diego/La Jolla. We went to the concierge to ask about the area and what restaurants were good, etc. The staff was so helpful, they gave us several hints and first hand experiences of different places they'd been to, and also went through tour books with us.
Our room had a garden view which was really pretty and we were quite happy with. Each room has a balcony with a great view into the garden.
I would recommend staying in La Jolla as opposed to San Diego even though you're visiting San Diego because you avoid a lot of traffic but still get to see all the good tourist spots. I whole-heartedly recommend the Estancia of La Jolla, we had a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank Nadia K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for what we thought was going to be a relaxing getaway. We stayed in one of the most expensive rooms in the garden courtyard area. The courtyard was pretty and the room was nice, although a little small. We loooked forward to sleeping in and relaxing. The problem began at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning when we began to hear voices and clacking noises outside on the lawn area. We looked out to see that hotel workers were setting up chairs on the lawn area - looked like for a wedding. We couldn't believe it! Within just a short time our wonderful view and tranquility was destroyed as the entire lawn was set up for a large wedding.
We assumed it was for a noon wedding and hoped that the commotion would soon be gone but we were completely taken aback to hear that the wedding wasn't until 5:00 p.m.!! Too bad for all of us guests who paid the big bucks for the "beautiful" view/courtyard rooms!! Disgusted, we soon left to spend the day in the village and didn't return until after 5:30 p.m. On the way back in we saw yet another wedding just finishing in another area of the hotel on a separate grassy/view area! As we returned to our room, one of the hotel workers could see we weren't happy - there were wedding guests everywhere - and we replied, "We didn't know we were booking at a wedding mill."
Believe the reviews... The grounds and rooms are nice but not spectacular and not worth the price. Also, they are trying to market this place as a relaxing spa retreat, which it is not - especially if you are there during the summer with all of the weddings.
If you really want to stay at a top notch place, go to the nearby Lodge at Torrey Pines: large rooms with balconies, beautiful grounds, truly relaxing, outstanding service and superb cuisine. Nice hiking nearby as well.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern NJ
Reviewed March 30, 2006

This property looks fairly nice, but there's not much else going for it. It's lacking in amenities and services. The staff is very helpful, but this place is under no circumstances worth what they charge. I have not stayed at any other hotel in La Jolla, but i really can't imagine that this is the top of the heap.

Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Sweetpatoot
playa del rey, ca
Reviewed March 27, 2006

Hidden fees lurk behind every so-called amenity at this hotel. Self-parking was $16 a day (valet extra) – this in a very suburban setting where it's quite easy to park free or cheaply in public lots and on the street even in downtown La Jolla. A $22 bottle of house-label wine I ordered at the front desk ended up being almost $40 when delivered to our room, and tasted like relabeled Two Buck Chuck chardonnay (from a hotel that boasts a Wine Library). And – worst of all – La Estancia charges a $14 "resort fee" per night. They didn't include this fee when I booked the room directly with them over the phone (this wasn't a Travelocity oversight). My email inquiry beforehand went unanswered, and the desk clerk at check-in attributed the fee to taxes. I called the hotel to dispute the charges after returning home, only to learn they were for coffee and wireless Internet access we weren't advised of. To their credit, the hotel did drop the fee from my bill, but claimed "all hotels do it."

The best thing about La Estancia was the very cordial staff. The concierge was especially helpful with directions and dining recommendations. And a chef at the brunch buffet made a special order of pancakes for us even though they weren't a buffet selection.

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank brianbaroo
sacramento, ca
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I spent two nights at the Estancia La Jolla for a romantic getaway with my partner.

I was intriged by the top marks given to the hotel by Conde Nast Traveler. While the hotel grounds are beautifully appointed, the staff courteous and the guest rooms comfortable, the overall experience did not add up to the level of being truly unique and world-class.

Overall, my stay at Estancia was a very positive one. I appreciated the fact that when I called to confirm that we would be late to check-in, the clerk was able to call me by name before I indentified myself. I would strongly recommend the Estancia over such hotels as the Hyatt La Jolla, because of the UCSD-adjacent location, the comfortable mattressess, spacious bathroom facilities and tranquil grounds.

Prior trips to luxury resorts like The Phoenician left me with expectations that the staff at Estancia would be more attentive to detail than I actually experienced. Was it a big deal that there was no welcome gift or fresh flowers left in the room? No. Did it really matter that the bathroom fixtures didn't match the door hinges, which also clashed with the drawer pulls? No. But I think these small examples demonstrate the fact that the design did not take into account or anticipate the expectations and desires of the most demanding guests.

It was a nice surprise to discover that wireless internet access was available for free...but disappointing when I realized that the signal was so weak, I couldn't actually utilize the service in my room.

We were warned in advance that a large wedding would be held on the grounds on Saturday night. I appreciated the heads up, and the ceremony and reception themselves provided no issue at all. However, plastic tubs of food and empty mojito glasses brought in by the wedding party sat in the hallway outside our room for more than 12 hours. Maid service didn't occur until late on Saturday afternoon, and failed to restock the shower cap and creamers we'd used.

I suspect my feelings about Estancia might be even more positive had we paid less than $228 a night for a deluxe king room (AAA Rate, including $9 facility fee). In addition, as many other reviewers have noted, the $16 charge to pull your own car into the parking lot (into a spot that may not be particularly close to your room) feels overly high. I'd rather pay more for the room than have such fees tacked on to my bill at the end.

I'd certainly return to the Estancia, and recommend it to others, especially if I was able to find a room under $200. But on my next visit, I won't have the expectation of being wowed by world-class service.

• Stayed March 2006
15 Thank BernhardS
kansas city
Reviewed March 11, 2006

My wife, son and I stayed at this hotel during a recent visit to the San Diego area. Our experience at this property was mixed, and for the price that we paid we expected much more.

The grounds were immaculate, and our initial impression was favorable. The valet staff and front desk staff while pleasant were not professional. We did not identify a member of the mgmt during our 3 day stay. Most of the employees appeared to be nearby UCSD students, and were more interested in visiting with each other than in providing service. Our suite was relatively roomy, but was equipped with a shower only (no tub). The gym was reasonably well equipped, but very small. My wife had a good experience with her massage. We ate the majority of our meals off site, but had a good experience with the staff and the food/drink at the bar.

All in all, the property was average. There was no aura. We expected much, much more for the price that we paid. If we returned we would probably consider paying a bit more and staying at the Lodge at Torrey Pines or saving a few dollars and staying at the nearby Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank father3KansasCity
Oceanside
Reviewed March 1, 2006

My husband and I went to Estancia for a late Valentines weekend. The resort as a whole is wonderful, with beautiful grounds, very comfortable beds, and nice amenities in the rooms. The pool area is great--there are small cabanas and a fire pit that make it a nice place to curl up with a good book.

For the most part, the staff was extremely polite and professional. The bellmen were prompt and gave a nice tour of the property, which was very helpful since it is a bit spread out. The restaurant staff, however, was not that knowledable about the menu which was disconcerting since I have a few food allergies. But everyone really went out of their way to make us feel welcome, which was a great plus.

I gave an above average rather than excellent because of the spa. I chose Estancia for their on site spa, which needs A LOT of improvement. First of all, it took several days to even get in contact with the spa to make my appointments; they never returned my messages I left asking for appointments. However, they seemed quite short staffed, with only one young lady answering phones, taking payment, and guiding people to the treatment rooms, so there was a very long wait just to enter the spa. The locker room is a bit small, and the robes and slippers are waiting for you in your locker, which you return in your locker when you are finished (makes me wonder if they reuse robes and slippers before cleaning?) Once you are in the "relaxation lounge", you have to carefully step around dirty towels and glasses tossed on the floors and side tables--which was not pleasing to the eye, to say the least. And to make things worse, several staff members walked through the lounges without putting out more towels or glasses, but to use the restrooms.

The treatment and therapist were lovely, but the overall feel of the spa was more frantic than relaxing. If you are a stickler for those small details, then look for another spa getaway, because this place needs some work.

• Stayed February 2006