“It was OK...nothing spectacular”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
houston
“It was OK...nothing spectacular”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2005

We booked via Travelocity and got the $199 breakfast/bed combo. The hotel does resemble a scaled down version of La Quinta in Palm Springs but is not nearly as luxurious.

The location is non descript. It's set off a major road in La Jolla. You have to drive to get any really nice views of the ocean or the town.

The deluxe room we booked was next to the outside access door that slammed shut loud enough to hear in the room. The room looked out onto a nondescript courtyard and out balcony was a whopping 6 inches wide. Yes, 6 inches. It made us laugh.

The room was clean and the bedding was nice. The TV in the room was a bit dated for my liking and the sound was really bad. The shower in the room had no water pressure.

The staff was nice enough but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of service.

We had a couples massage at the Spa. The masseuse I had, Ed was wonderful. The Spa itself was lacking in atmosphere. The towels were thin and old, the water pressure was low in the showers and the soaps and amenities were low end.

The breakfast buffet was mediocre as well. Scrambled eggs, an egg casserole, bacon, sausage and hotcakes along with a continental buffet. Sunday's buffet was a little better with the addition of an omelet station.

Overall, this hotel was average. Nothing spectacular.

7 Thank MSSWONG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2005

We recently returned from a trip to San Diego and stayed in the Estancia hotel in LaJolla. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were clean.

We were not told of charges when we checked in that would eventually be made to the room, specifically a $9.00 per night hospitality charge which is basically a charge given to you for tea service in your room and use of the small work out room and the option to use their fax machine, and a $15.00 per night parking charge for self parking!
When we booked the package online through a travel site, the "hotel fee" was listed as being included. The total fees amounted to an extra $25.00 a night!
When we brought this up to the manager she did not care and made us pay the parking fee anyway.

Parking was a nightmare due to the constant daily conventions and wedding activities. Not something you would expect when you have to pay $15.00 a day to park. Lastly, the hotel staff left a lot to be desired. The valet parking guys were college snots and the rest of the staff didn't fair a whole lot better. We would expect more from a hotel that is trying to catagorize itself as an upper end facility. It is mostly run by UCSD college kids that didn't really care about customer service.

Next time we will stay somewhere else.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2005

Date of stay: Oct 8,9,10, 2005. Wanted a relaxing elegant hotel for the last leg of trip down the coast of CA. Also wanted to stay in/near La Jolla. The best places are very expensive. Decided to give Hotwire a try. Do your homework first. Know all you can about the area and descriptions of hotels before booking on Hotwire. Also, narrow your search to specific area you want to stay when you book on Hotwire. Imagine my elation when Hotwire came back with the Estancia. I tried several times to find a deal for this place to no avail. Hotwire was the way to go. From the moment you pull up in front of the hotel, to the moment you leave, you are treated royally. We did not experience any negativity for booking on Hotwire and no discrepancies in price. Just go equipped with confirmations and printouts. The entire staff was great. The room fantastic. Big roomy beds, incredible bathroom, balcony overlooking a lovely landscaped courtyard. Any questions and they were more than helpful. They had printed out directions ready to give you for most attractions. They even helped with Mapquest in finding a destination in LA I needed. They printed out Boarding Passes for flight reservations willingly. The grounds are so inviting, with little nooks and crannies for you to sit and relax. Open pit fireplace in the bar/casual restaurant. Soft music playing all over. Nice pool and hot tub. All for $185.00 thru Hotwire. Way to go Hotwire. Way to go Estancia

6 Thank CATRNJ
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2005

What is not to like about a new hotel which operates to 5 star standards at half the price. You can typically find a room for around $200 and sometimes less if you check their website. They added a $9 daily resort fee which paid for the local newspaper and high speed internet access in the room. I was on business so this was a nice addition. I stayed one night at Estancia La Jolla, had cocktails at Mustangs and Burros and dined at Adobe restaurant and woke up in the morning not wanting to leave. My room faced the inside courtyard and was very comfortable and spacious. What stands out at Estancia is the attention to detail on the furnishings, fixtures and design of the property. All classic Spanish design but with a rustic elegance. Reminded me of La Quinta Resort in Palm Springs. It is an intimate property which is a great alternative to the larger cookie cutter properties located off hwy 5. I was able to peek into the spa and the poolside cabana's but did not have time enjoy as I was their on business. I will be back with my wife over a weekend for pleasure and would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in the San Diego area. Additionally, Estancia is located about a mile from Torrey Pines Golf Course (site of 2008 US OPEN) so bring your sticks when you visit to experience a great room and a great course.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Matt F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

My husband and I just got back from a weekend get away at Estancia. We acutally celebrated our 2nd year wedding anniversay there and it was just the perfect hotel for our stay. The hotel is small and a welcome change to our normal big rise hotel stay. I have to say I really have no complaints at all. I was worried about some of the bad service reviews I had read before I booked my trip but I have to say everyone was so helpful and professional. The stone massage is wonderful!!! The Adobe restuarant was very good but a little on the pricey side. Even the room service was good. Definitely plan on getting back again on another one of our weekend getaways.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2005

My mom and I actually booked 4 nights in this hotel. When we arrived at 10 am we were told that the hotel was full the night before and that there is no room available for early check in. I was asked to leave the phone number to be called when a room is available. So we drove around and checked out the neighbourhood however never received a call.
When we finally got a room at 2:30 we were positively surprised. It was a nice small room with a sliding door out to the lawn. We are not concerned about security, however those who are could have been, as the path that went along the lawn led directly to the street with no security check (gate).
We shortened our stay to 2 nights. We ordered breakfast in the room but it was 20 minutes late after I made a reminder call which made the trip to the airport a bit more hectic. The breakfast that I ordered was not complete however I was charged for all the items.
Pool, health facilities are really nice as well as the architecture. Minor things are missing like lights where you have to insert your key outdoors (at night) and the paths are not outlined efficiently.
Overall an ok stay - but nothing extraordinary. The hotel charges a $9 hospitality fee per day and parking fees are charged as well. We actually parked on a side street when university students made spots available.

• Stayed September 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2005

My husband and I came for a weekend from San Francisco. The hotel was amazing. Everything about it. The room, bed, bathroom, pool, gym. We only had lunch at the restaurant, it was great. We loved the outside area at Mustangs. It was close to walking trails and Torrey Pines state park. We really enjoyed ourselves. We will be back, soon I hope.

• Stayed September 2005
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,957 reviews

Been to Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!