“Absolutely Fabulous!”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I were attending a wedding in La Jolla, so I was looking for a hotel close to where the wedding was going to be. Estancia Hotel & Spa is remarkable! Everything you should expect from an upscale hotel- courteous staff, beautiful grounds, clean rooms, etc. We stayed one evening, but had wished that we stayed longer. We had drinks and appetizers at the Mustangs & Burros lounge and breakfast at El Adobe Restaurant. Both were great! They also host weddings and were able to watch two during our stay. Overall, this is a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrktngspclst
There are newer reviews for Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 18, 2008

this hotel is so beautiful, the layout, the landscape, the rooms, the views, the pool....it was truly amazing. The staff was very helpful and cheerful and definately went "the extra mile". Having known that my husband and I were to be reunited after his service in Iraq, we arrived at our room to find rose pedals shaped to a beautiful heart all over our bed; it was so cute and thoughtful. We also found that our room had been upgraded to a balcony room and everyone was very helpful despite the date changes due to military flight delays. I would definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank militarywf
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I really enjoyed this hotel. We went over Mother's day weekend and I thought it was lovely. The grounds are beautiful and very serene. The restaurant El Adobe was fun and the food was tasty and the atmosphere was lively! I also had room service for breakfast one morning and it was the fastest room service I have ever had. Also delicous!! Most of all I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel. It is calm and soothing and very peaceful. There was a wedding there but I thought they kept the noise level to a minimum. I can see why they chose this hotel, it is a beautiful place. The view from the rooms overlooks a courtyard that is so well maintained, as is all of the property. The staff was very friendly from check in to check out. The location is fine, you are not right in downtown La Jolla but only about a 5-6 min drive. The beach is also about 5 min drive away. I thought the hotels atmosphere was so great I didn't want to leave.
I would stay here again without question!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MWhitney
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights in February. Overall a nice stay - checkin folks were courteous. The grounds are quite beautiful and peaceful. Price seemed high for the time of year I was staying and the room I got - a view of the busy Torrey Pines road. The room was fairly spacious however. Ate appetizers and had drinks at the lodge which was nice. The fitness room was a bit lacking (I used it one morning) in equipment, and the water dispenser was empty. There are also no accessible bathrooms from the fitness room, at least not prior to 9am when the nextdoor spa is still closed. Only other qualm about the stay is that the hotel (which is in an 858 area code) charges calls to downtown (619) as a long-distance call instead of a local call, so watch out. I brought this issue up with them on checkout as local San Diego telecoms consider 858 and 619 to be local to each other, but the Estancia staff refused to budge on that. So overall, nice hotel from a room/grounds point of view, but would not stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank James T
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Like others have said in their reviews, the hotel property is lovely, and the rooms are clean (but just average). My major complaint with the hotel was the extremely expensive "extras". Particularly the food, and services. I had booked a spa package, and was told that the price included everything. However, when we arrived we were told that the advertised package was no longer available, and we would now have to pay all of the gratuities, daily fee's, and valet parking! This amounted to quite a bit of money, and made our Mother/Daughter getaway cost over $1300.00. All together way to much money for the value.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SouthernCalLady
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I stayed here when attending a week long executive seminar at UC San Diego. It was very convenient for the university. I did not rent a car because it is hardly worth it when you are holed up in class 10 hours a day; however as other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is pretty far from other restaurants. As such, you are a victim of the prices charged in the restaurants at the hotel and for room service. I ordered room service most nights as I was tired and it was over $40 every time even for just a salad and a glass of wine/ They tack on a sizeable service charge. The food was Ok but not spectacular. The room was comfortable and clean. The grounds are beautiful. They do seem to have a fair number of events there. On my first night, there was a party on the lawn directly outside my room with probably 50 to 100 guests. That explained the wave machine that was turned on in my room when I got there!
Overall OK, but I think if I had been there for a romantic getaway rather than a business trip I would have found it sorely lacking

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Angus_Inca
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Clean, beautiful, friendly place to stay in La Jolla. We were there for the US Open. You would think with the crowds service would have been questionable. However, the staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again without thinking twice.

• Stayed: June 2008