“Over rated”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Like others have said in their reviews, the hotel property is lovely, and the rooms are clean (but just average). My major complaint with the hotel was the extremely expensive "extras". Particularly the food, and services. I had booked a spa package, and was told that the price included everything. However, when we arrived we were told that the advertised package was no longer available, and we would now have to pay all of the gratuities, daily fee's, and valet parking! This amounted to quite a bit of money, and made our Mother/Daughter getaway cost over $1300.00. All together way to much money for the value.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SouthernCalLady
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed July 1, 2008

I stayed here when attending a week long executive seminar at UC San Diego. It was very convenient for the university. I did not rent a car because it is hardly worth it when you are holed up in class 10 hours a day; however as other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is pretty far from other restaurants. As such, you are a victim of the prices charged in the restaurants at the hotel and for room service. I ordered room service most nights as I was tired and it was over $40 every time even for just a salad and a glass of wine/ They tack on a sizeable service charge. The food was Ok but not spectacular. The room was comfortable and clean. The grounds are beautiful. They do seem to have a fair number of events there. On my first night, there was a party on the lawn directly outside my room with probably 50 to 100 guests. That explained the wave machine that was turned on in my room when I got there!
Overall OK, but I think if I had been there for a romantic getaway rather than a business trip I would have found it sorely lacking

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Angus_Inca
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Clean, beautiful, friendly place to stay in La Jolla. We were there for the US Open. You would think with the crowds service would have been questionable. However, the staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again without thinking twice.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank jcadman
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Decent property with a standard type room somewhat lacking in unique character but clean and comfortable. The pool area was fairly small. I appreciated that this hotel was away from LaJolla proper as there are many features of the area that are more convenient as a result. There is mandatory valet parking at this property which is inefficient at peak times as the driveway here is way to small for this. Apparently this is a new policy. Such a shame when parking spaces were located just steps from my room and I couldn't use them.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank markobmf
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My husband and I were visiting family in LaJolla in late May of 2008. We also had our 7 month old along for the trip as well. When booking, I actually found a much cheaper rate on hotels.com then what was published on Estancia's website. I called the hotel to cancel and they honored the hotels.com rate, so make sure to "shop around" before booking directly with the hotel.

The hotel is beautiful and the property is layered with breathtaking landscaping. The rooms were fine, nothing extravagent, but were very clean, nicely updated and the bed was comfortable. The pool was great and very empty. I found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful. One nice touch was asking if we could use some bottles of water before venturing out for the day, small thing, but nothing I have ever been asked before (my experience at other hotels is you buy that water for $6!). They did a great job at diversifying their restaurants and the food was fantastic (even the room service). The hotel is also very quiet, could be the time of year we went, I guess late May/early June in San Diego is not the ideal time to visit.

Now with that being said, all of this comes at a premium expense and is my one grievance with the hotel. The hotel not only charges an additional $25 per day in "hospitality" fees, but they also tack on service fees at the pool and spa. Make sure to check your bill closely, b/c they don't always tell you that your total already includes gratuity. The restaurants are good, but certainly not cheap. Be prepared to pay $14 for a burger. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, great selections, but also for upwards of $18/person. If you have a car you are forced to valet and it is $25/day. So as you can imagine the incidentals add up fast. Lastly, my husband was making this a working trip and their wireless connection is very poor and slow.

I certainly would stay again, but I hope they make some changes to their fees.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank UofIGrad02
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed at The Estancia over Mother's Day wkend. We have family near by and initially were very pleased by the hotel. The grounds are lovely and the room was clean (at check in), beds comfortable. However the customer service is strange - very very attentive to unable to get housekeeping to clean our room before 4 pm no matter how many times we asked - or whom we asked. Most rooms overlook a common area - a beautiful garden with a fountain. The courtyard lost it's beauty fast on Sat afternoon when a wedding AND reception was set up there - the noise affects ALL guests and if you desire a nap, or even a quiet stay forget it. The many functions (not just weddings I was told) held in the courtyard are loud and inescapable. Before booking, ask if the courtyard will be hosting functions during your stay.The pool is open to a neighboring condo development? go figure. Just picture it on any warm La Jolla day. The pool is adjacent to the spa - so also don't count on a quiet spa experience. The food all comes from one kitchen - no mattter what you order from any menu at any restaurant bar location you order from - so can be cold and very delayed. Live music is advertised at starting daily at 6 pm - nope. Only Fri & Sat and both nights we were there, the music started at 7:30 pm - without apology.
All in all forget it. The devil is in the details and this place is like a stone in your shoe.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank stoneshoe
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Stayed on a corporate business trip with meetings, group meals, etc. I had half a day free which I spent at the lovely pool relaxing with an excellent lunch poolside. Overall a nice, quiet and elegant hotel. Three main issues:
1) Not really in La Jolla - it's a 10-15 min cab ride (~$15-20) into town. The hotel is in a very quiet residential area.
2) There are no views of the ocean from anywhere on the property - I was surprised. There is a beautiful view from the La Jolla glider port about 2 (long) blocks away.
3) The property is long and if you're in the back set of rooms, some rooms (like mine) are very far from the front of the hotel as is the beautiful pool so you're either hiking it back and forth to the front of the hotel and restaurants or near the pool.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business