New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Hidden Gem in LaJolla”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

pros: relaxing, private, yet close to everything. staff are super friendly and services are awesome. for its quality. price is expected to be on the higher end.

cons: you pay parking, and resort fee (roughly about 45$ per night) ; some rooms can be noisy especialy if close to main hallways. also wireless service is very sporadic and sketchy in some rooms and spots

overall ; excellent and would stay there again

Room Tip: choose rooms that are not close to hallways, and perhaps facing the garden
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a helpful review. We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and awesome service. The parking circumstances in La Jolla (and San Diego) are certainly not ideal, but please know we are quite competitive with other hotels. Thank you again for staying with us and for the great feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here because of related business. Was excited about the place and called ahead to upgrade to a suite on the third floor as I had read previous reviews about the thin walls, etc. I had a long conversation with them a few days before arriving and they assured me of a third floor quiet suite. However upon arrival I was booked into a first floor suite and told that the only third floor suite would not be available until 5PM. Since I had told them I had to check in at 3PM due to a work related appointment I was quite disappointed. At any rate -the first floor suite was a disaster. First - indeed there seemed to be children running around in the room above although I was assured there were no children in the room. Moreover, there was a baby crying in one of the nearby rooms into the night. So much for a quiet nights rest!
Second - the suite itself was a joke. It is essentially a very large poorly set up room. One king size bed and a pullout couch with no attention to organization or appearances.
Third - despite my multiple requests for a quiet room - there was an event going on right on the lawn in front of our room into the late evening which they did not inform us of.
Third - despite my request - they did not prepare the roll out bed.
Lastly - I had to go to the main desk to try to work some of these issues out and met with the most condescending so-called hotel manager I have ever met.
To be fair they did waive the suite fee upgrade but only for the first night - the crying baby was still there the second night.
Also just as an aside -the walls are so thin you can hear all the plumbing.
In sum, this might be a great place for an event dinner or something like that but I would not recommend ever staying there if you can help it. The Torrey Pines Inn is a much better option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Abstraction
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are truly sorry for your experience on property. It is not often that we miss several service opportunities for a guest, which is why we would really like to touch base with you to understand more about your situation so we can learn from our mistakes. I hope you have a chance to speak with our Director of Front Office Operations over the phone. Again, we would like to offer our sincerest apologies and hope to connect with you soon.
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I surprised my husband with a "babymoon" at this hotel. We were in San Diego for other reasons and instead of driving home I booked us a room for one night at this hotel. I used my Costco membership to get us a better deal on the room and a $25 breakfast credit. When we drove onto the hotel property we instantly felt like we were driving up to a resort. The landscaping and architecture is beautifully done and maintained. All parking is valet with a $25 fee automatically added to your bill. I thought that was a little ridicules, but I am 8 months pregnant so I have to say at the end of the day I want door step delivery anyway. They take all your luggage from the car and get it to your room so you don't have to lug anything around.

The check in process was smooth. The staff overall was wonderful. Our room was absolutely beautiful. I wish I could break it off and take it home with me! I would love a master suite like this one. Everything was emasculate. The bed was super comfy with plenty of pillows. Remember I am 8 months pregnant sleep is something savored! The TV was a great size and we were able to watch a movie, kick back and relax! I also walked the grounds with my husband at night. There were plenty of secluded places to stop and talk with fireplaces and heating elements. The grounds of this hotel are just lovely.

My only negative comment is the walls are a bit thin. That or our neighbors were REALLY loud. We were woken up at a VERY indecent hour by strange noises. We turned the fan on in the room and drowned them out so it all worked out.

Breakfast was delicious. The potato hash is out of this world and the restaurant staff was great! I would love to go back to this resort time and time again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for spending your babymoon with us. We are so happy to hear that your stay was pleasant and you were able to enjoy our beautiful gardens, pathways and outdoor fireplaces for some much needed one-on-one time with your husband. You are so kind to comment on our new guestroom décor, feel free to check out our enhancement board on Pinterest to see some of the pieces and fabrics. I haven’t had the potato hash yet- thanks for the recommendation… and I will be sure to pass on the compliment to Chef Kim!
Orange County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was in SD visting family and found a deal on the Estancia website for Costco members for 189 which including a $25 breakfast credit. After a long day at Sea World, I arrived at the hotel at check in time by myself with 2 small kids(2& 8 months). The valet and bellman staff were wonderful, and helped me with everything I needed. After check in I walked to my room-which was far from the lobby. Normally no big deal, but I was toting 2 kids. After I settled into my room, I walked into the bathroom to discover there was no bathtub. (It was an accessible room). Again, normally no big deal, but with 2 kids, a problem. I had no energy to pack my stuff back up and move rooms, so I decided to let it go.
Later, when talking to my sister (who had stayed there) she said she was also given an accessible room and she had book a room at a deal rate. So if you are booking a deal rate and don't want an accessible room, make sure to say so at check in!
I did mention it at check out, and I was issued an apology. I think the staff at the front desk needs to be aware if someone has small kids, a room close to the lobby is preferable and a bathtub is a necessity! I wouldn't take my kids back. Better for a getaway with friends or significant other.
Hotel-beautiful! Mustangs and burros-yummy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Thank you for the review, and I hope you all had fun at SeaWorld. Thank you for the compliments about our beautiful hotel and Mustangs & Burros. You are absolutely right in that we should have done a better job in assessing your situation. Assuming you told the Reservations team that you were traveling with two small children we should have pre-assigned a more convenient for you. We will be sure to bring this up with the Front Office team. We are pleased to hear we can expect you back for an adult’s only getaway- thanks again!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The grounds are lovely, the room is above average, but certainly not outstanding. It is a busy place for a bit out of the way. Weddings and large meetings going on all the time, but great not to be in a downtown environment. We would be happy to stay here again, but would prefer if we could:
a) self park
b) sign onto the internet for the duration of our stay and never have to do it again
c) not have to use our key between buildings

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the review. We are happy to hear you found the grounds to be lovely and that you would stay with us again. I’m sorry about any inconvenience with valet parking, the internet, and the key cards. Please understand that all of these policies are in place to ensure guest safety and security. We recognize that these procedures can be a bit of an inconvenience- particularly the internet, so we are always searching for the newest and best technology in an effort to offer our guests the best service. Thank you again and we hope you will stay in touch.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Estancia La Jolla and we loved the hotel. I have been in the La Jolla area many times (I even went to college at UC, San Diego - located across the street!) but never knew much about the Estancia. It really is a hidden gem. Every interaction we had with the staff - from making the reservation on - was positive. The hotel is lovely, quiet and clean and a real effort is made by every member of the staff to be friendly and courteous, but not intrusive. We are very experienced travelers and we know the difference!! Two weddings took place over the weekend and yet we heard no noise in our room later in the evening. The next time we are in the San Diego area, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We love this place. We have been twice and it´s our favourite hotel in the US.
It´s beautiful, it´s clean, the food it´s excellent (the breakfast its perfect), the surroundings, the area... We have not interacted much with the staff, but everyone was professional and efficient. It has been a great experience both times. And we are back in July again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheTrintrins
EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next month! I hope you like the guest room enhancements and all of the changes we have made to the pool deck and of course the beautiful new Spa design!