“Jem of a boutique hotel in La Jolla”

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersGold level
Hollywood, Florida
“Jem of a boutique hotel in La Jolla”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Absolutely loved this place! booked this last minute online for a 3 night stay as an anniversary getaway. relaxed elegance in a picturesque setting (no ocean views but still loved it). fabulous food on site and service was above par. definitely experience the spa as it was divine. cliff walk to Black beach and to see the paragliders were special and very close to the hotel. got a nice 2nd flr room with balcony overlooking the pool. the bathroom and closet doors were awkward opening into each other but otherwise serene decor and upscale finishes in the room made it lovely. dinner at Tapenade was outstanding. would love to go back to enjoy more of the spa and San Diego.

Room Tip: ask for a 2nd flr room overlooking the pool for the better view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DestinationSpaGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Houston Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Travelling to southern California offers many lodging options. We recently spent four nights at this hotel for my birthday celebration and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Estancia is unlike any hotel that you've likely stayed at, it truly is special.

There are three reasons that we highly recommend this hotel:
1) Gorgeous grounds and unique hotel layout set this hotel apart from any other lodging experience in southern California
2) The outdoor dining ambience, food, and entertainment all lent to a wonderful birthday dinner celebration. Ask for a table near the outdoor fireplace. Skirt steak dish with mexican flair and margueritas were delicious! The singer was beyond excellent and was a bonus to our dinner celebration.
3) Pool area has a European feel -- comfortable chaises, surrounded by greenery with an excellent poolside grill/bar.

An awesome attribute of this hotel is how easy it is to get to & from the Highway and parkingis never an issue -- unlike the many LaJolla village hotels where you have to wait in long lines of traffic coming in off the 5 and parking can be a costly nightmare.

One last recommendation, take the walk to the nearby GlidePort and watch them launch as you sit on a stunning cliff overlooking LaJolla Cove.

Hints: Ask for a room with a courtyard balcony view at the far end of the complex near the pool/spa/and rear parking lot. Use your room key to enter/exit the back parking lot to save valet tips and any waiting time.

Recommendation to the hotel management upgrade the mattresses and pillows. (Note to visitors: The bed linens are luxuriously comfortable, but the mattress could have been more firm. I'd forfeit super mattresses for the Estancia's exquisite ambience.)

If you really want to add in a special extra dinner out, visit the new Eddie V's in LaJolla and reserve a table window side (or outdoors along the balcony edge). Magnificent views and as always Eddie V's has outstanding food.

Another fun dinner while you are staying at Estancia -- go to Poseidon's in Del Mar and ask for a table outside on the patio -- this would be best for a super casual dinner as you watch the sun (like a huge orange) drop into the sea at sunset -- it's an awesome free "show" you won't want to miss.

Room Tip: rooms at the north end with easy access to pool and spa -- yet make certain that you have a room wit...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MakingMoreMemories
Gilbert
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice, it is situated above la jolla In a quiet area, about five minutes drive from the beach. You cannot see the sea from this property, I noticed in one of their own reviews something about being able to hear the waves-you can't. However, this place is very lovely, they cater for a lot of outdoor weddings due to the pretty architecture and fab garden. This is not a cheap hotel, there is valet parking which you pay for and a resort fee. The food is pricey as you would expect. But if you are coming to this hotel you are coming to spoil yourself a little and we always leave here happy and suitably spoiled.

I should note that on both stays we brought the two children aged 4 and 12 they love it here, and the staff are wonderful with them. On our first stay the valet even found the youngest a bucket and spade.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank 85234
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I went to San Diego to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. We spent a couple of days in San Diego at the Hard Rock and then moved on to La Jolla Estancia.

Accomodations
These were seriously meh. Apparently we were upgraded due to our anniversary so when I go tto the room I turned to my husband in surprise. Just your standard hotel room. Nothing special. It was clean and spacious. The bathroom was really plain.

Staff
Staff were courteous. With the exception of two male managers (I'll detail it below) everyone else was just pleasant. I did sense a kind of snideness from the valets (ironically) but I think that's because my hubby didn't tip the first couple of times. At the four and five star resorts that we've stayed at, you tip at the end on your final bill and it is divided equally amongst all staff. To me thats the classy way to do it, but what do I know? Personally I don't think they were used to serving Puerto Rican and African American clients. The things that grated my nerves were little. Like the valets not being consistent with opening my car door, asking us each day if we were checking out (like we could only afford one night), being given lukewarm bottled water (after seeing other guests with cold ones), having to ASK the waiters for ice water during breakfast and dinner when others around us were being served, etc.

Oh the food! Ten stars if I could! Mustangs and Burros....omg. Seriously the best thing I ever ate! We started off with the chicken nachos (HUGE HUGE HUGE). They were so awesome that the table next to us couldn't stop eyeing them and ordered their own. Then I ordered the crab and shrimp enchiladas and my husband had the grilled skirt steak with jalepeno cheddar macaroni and cheese. As Rachel Ray would say...YUMMO! I would totally go back for that. It was beyond delicious.

Grounds
I know I'm echoing previous reviews, but wow are the grounds gorgeous! Like something out of a movie. The pool and jacuzzi were awesome. I didn't get to enjoy the spa, so I can't speak to the service. We saw a lot of weddings and rehearsal dinners going on while we were there, but it was still pretty serene.

Location
The hotel is also not close to any attractions such as other restarurants or the beach, so definitely get a rental car. I think this hotel is best suited for older or middle aged couples.

Other
During our stay, San Diego experienced a huge blackout that lasted over eight hours. Staff did their best to accomodate guests. Mustangs and Burros offered a complimentary round of steak tacos and drinks. After that, all drinks and tacos were $5. On the night of the blackout my husband and I had reservations at Mustangs and Burros. The hostess informed us that the reservations system was down so they weren't honoring reservations, and that all the tables were full. I was pretty bummed. I ran into a manager on the way back to the room who asked what was wrong, and he turned us around and got us a quiet table in two seconds. Gotta love people with power. We sat down but didn't get a waiter for a while. It was chaos. I understand the chaos around reservations, which require a computer, but I"m still not sure why the waiters weren't assigned tables as normal. Maybe they were short staffed. But it took a long time to get the basics, like water and a drink order. The restaurant manager came by and was super nice. He actually ended up serving us drinks, subsequently introducing me to a new wine. Small touches like that make or break four and five star status.So the management is definitely on point. It was still madness though. The hostess got us our tacos, manager got the drinks, and someone else got us our check. I appreciate the free round of tacos and drinks but I thought that they would comp us a little something upon checkout. Maybe $50 - $75? Of course its not their fault the electricity went out, but four and five star hotels go above and beyond even when things happen that are completely out of their control.

So yes. All in all I was rather underwhelmed by the general staff and the accommodations. Good thing we got a deal through Kiwi Collection, so we did not pay full price. I probably would not stay again, but I would definitely go back for Mustangs and Burros!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank megalinn03
Arlington, Va.
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the Estancia La Jolla Hotel and Spa at the beginning of September, to celebrate our niece's wedding. When we first got the wedding date, we quickly booked our room, requesting a quiet room on the upper floor. The morning we left home for our flight to Ca., I again checked TripAdvisor to read reviews; I was surprised to see the less positive reviews discussing the rooms. Well, this was not a problem - when we arrived, we had wonderful rooms. Ours overlooked the courtyard, had a balcony, and was not only spotless but also had the things we had requested such as "no down pillows, please". Since we wanted to spend time with our relatives who had come from different areas, we gathered with them whenever we could. Regardless of the place - the outdoor bar-with-fireplace, the dining room over breakfast, ... - the staff did everything to let us gather and visit. When we would ask for our car, the staff would have it there for us in less than 2 minutes, always handing us bottles of water for the drive. Truly, there was nothing we lacked during this stay. We were sorry to leave after such a relaxing, wonderful extended weekend!

Room Tip: If you can, book early, and ask for the room to be on a higher floor overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Wima
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The grounds are well maintained, the room was comfortable, and the service is outstanding. The only drawback I can think of is that you have to walk a long way from parking to your room, not necessarily a negative because the gardens are so beautiful. The atmosphere is very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaraTara
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Beautiful grounds, rooms, pool, friendly staff, comfy beds, great brunch, felt like an estancia! We did the southern california special for a family and friends event and got a fantastic deal and had a great stay. I would go back and recommend the estancia in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The layout is vast and wandering through their gardens and buildings, so if you need ez in & out...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family