“San Diego vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Akron, Ohio
“San Diego vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is on the border of LaJolla, but you don't pay the high prices as if you were staying in the middle of LaJolla. In general it was a great place to stay. You can walk or drive to the beach, coffee shops,starbucks, cvs and a bunch of little shops. The one problem we had was the elevator was not working, and as I found out, will not be fixed due to cost. I just had had knee surgery and it was a little problematic. The other problem was that there was a fishy odor in the bathroom. Luckily I had some air freshener with me. This was reported to the main desk and they said they would check into the odor. Besides those two things, the hotel was great. By the way, we also found out there was no air conditioning. Not sure if it was broken or they don't have. It was fine the week we were there because it was rather cool. They did supply a fan if needed. We actually only used the room to sleep...we were gone every day so some of the problems we just overlooked because the price of the room was so cheap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank irish1973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

An absolute GEM, especially if you are on a budget. All in all - probably a 3+ star hotel / motel with 4 star amenities, grounds and service. Who can beat $69 a night in La Jolla, or even San Diego for that matter?!

I've traveled to the San Diego and La Jolla area twenty times in the past number of years. I usually try to stay at various locations to better get the feel of the communities and city as a whole. The Sands of La Jolla is a great find - and I will be back... Mentioned by a friend at first, I visited their Twitter page and saw the specials & pictures so I gave them a shot for four nights.

The property appears to have originally been an older three story mid-century motor-lodge (maybe 40 rooms?) - But certainly has been recently updated or remodeled and is well kept. The room furnishings all seemed newer, was very clean and they had newer appliances + a large flat-screen tv. The pool and surrounding area was pristine, nice palm trees, gardens and had plenty of chaise lounge sun chairs which I used daily.

The location is wonderful - near both Pacific Beach (where I had daytime business meetings) and a short way to La Jolla Village for shopping. I had two days for fun activity and was able to walk to a nearby beach to meet friends in just a few minutes from the hotel. Met both a few fun guys staying adjacent that were visiting for surfing, that said they were regular guests as well as friendly folks from Europe on vacation.

Staff was attentive and professional - hooked me up with loads of extra coffee for the in-room maker and gave me a nice map of the local area, recommended places to eat nearby and directions to a theater I was heading to.

Only downsides were: the free Wifi was a on the slower side but decent enough for email and general web surfing -- (I wouldn't try to stream movies or download music.) The towels were smaller than average - especially for the pool, that said - they gave me extra ones upon request and were replenished daily.

Room Tip: Found out from other guests I socialized with at the pool that there are 1 bedroom suites for under...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Linda E
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a lot of gear with us on a week long surf/bike safari, which included about $8000 worth of bikes and $2000 worth of surfboards. All and all, for two grubby bike dudes, not a bad place.

Two words of warning:
1. The parking sucks. You can pretty much expect that someone driving an SUV is going to take up two spots because the spaces are TINY. So if you go out at night, anticipate having to get creative with your parking.
2. The overhang on the check in roof is LOW. So low that we smacked our surfboards on the overhang, which is about 6'8". If you're loaded up, be mindful.

All and all it was what we wanted, cheap, close to the surf beach I like, and cheap. The WiFi wasn't the best, the manager wasn't that attentive, but the room was always clean, our stuff wasn't stolen, and it had a mini-fridge big enough for 36 beers. What more can you ask for in La Jolla for $65 a night?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank ibtattooo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

An older motel. Everything about it screams older, including the price, so it's a value in the end. But not enough of a value for me to stay here again. Never again.

But average!

The bed was ok. I've slept on worse. The pool area was clean. The bathroom is just old.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JIdle
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at much more expensive places and stayed at this place New Year's Eve because I wanted to be walking distance from a party I was going to. I was pleasantly surprised by this value. Clean quiet room, friendly staff, coffee. Everything you need at a bargain basement price!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Acgnyc
Scottsdale, Arizona USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We never go all out for a hotel room in San Diego since we won't be in our room except to sleep (in fact we usually stay at Motel 6!) but this time I was looking around for something different and found this one. We were pretty happy with Sands of La Jolla! You absolutely can't beat the price for location, and the room was clean, decorated fine, and has a big flat screen tv + perfectly adequate linens & even shampoo & hair dryer. There are things you could criticize, but when you've got this location, I don't care! I do have to remind everyone that there is no A/C but it's generally cool enough here for it not to matter. (Of course we were there the weekend San Diego made heat records -100! - but it did cool way down at night and they have fans. Leaving the patio door open appears to be safe too.) Again, call direct for best rates - a booking site was going to charge $119 + $6 booking fee but I called the hotel and got 2 beds for $79. A steal! I will be back -- it's several steps up from Motel 6 at a similar price.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank HappyJackAZ
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel looked pretty online, but disappointing when we arrived in person. No A/C, so they offered an extra fan. The beds did not have a fitted bottom sheet, just a top sheet that didn't fit well so it would slide off constantly. The beds were noisy and very shakie. The pool was freezing. No hot tub. No mirror outside of the bathroom. They advertised free wireless, but only had it available part of the time, on and off. The positives were there were no bugs on the 2nd floor, it was a very quiet and safe neighboorhood that was close to shopping and only a few blocks from the ocean and beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends