“Average expectations; average results”
Review of Sands Of La Jolla

Sands Of La Jolla
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
“Average expectations; average results”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

An older motel. Everything about it screams older, including the price, so it's a value in the end. But not enough of a value for me to stay here again. Never again.

But average!

The bed was ok. I've slept on worse. The pool area was clean. The bathroom is just old.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JIdle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at much more expensive places and stayed at this place New Year's Eve because I wanted to be walking distance from a party I was going to. I was pleasantly surprised by this value. Clean quiet room, friendly staff, coffee. Everything you need at a bargain basement price!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Acgnyc
Scottsdale, Arizona USA
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We never go all out for a hotel room in San Diego since we won't be in our room except to sleep (in fact we usually stay at Motel 6!) but this time I was looking around for something different and found this one. We were pretty happy with Sands of La Jolla! You absolutely can't beat the price for location, and the room was clean, decorated fine, and has a big flat screen tv + perfectly adequate linens & even shampoo & hair dryer. There are things you could criticize, but when you've got this location, I don't care! I do have to remind everyone that there is no A/C but it's generally cool enough here for it not to matter. (Of course we were there the weekend San Diego made heat records -100! - but it did cool way down at night and they have fans. Leaving the patio door open appears to be safe too.) Again, call direct for best rates - a booking site was going to charge $119 + $6 booking fee but I called the hotel and got 2 beds for $79. A steal! I will be back -- it's several steps up from Motel 6 at a similar price.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank HappyJackAZ
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel looked pretty online, but disappointing when we arrived in person. No A/C, so they offered an extra fan. The beds did not have a fitted bottom sheet, just a top sheet that didn't fit well so it would slide off constantly. The beds were noisy and very shakie. The pool was freezing. No hot tub. No mirror outside of the bathroom. They advertised free wireless, but only had it available part of the time, on and off. The positives were there were no bugs on the 2nd floor, it was a very quiet and safe neighboorhood that was close to shopping and only a few blocks from the ocean and beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank D A
Alberta
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went during Comic Con so prices were astronomical everywhere, except here. I was nervous about the Sands as I had my 13yr old with me. I was prepared to go to a high end hotel if it was unclean or had bugs. My son and I were pleasantly relieved. Although the property is older, the place is well kept, clean, and close to it all. It is 1/2 block to a CVS Pharmacy as well. The King bed that I shared with my son was very comfortable and bug free. I always pull all he sheets off to check (no matter where I go). For an average of $90/night is is worth the price any time of the year. But there is no luxury or large rooms here. For a clean place with a good night sleep. Go for this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JunksterAlberta
Denmark
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Came in late so can't comment on poolarea.
No breakfast - poor!

Rooms a little bit worn down but great anyway.
Very nice area!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anders P
LA
Reviewed April 20, 2012

nice rooms, lots of parking. best price in la jolla. oh yeah there no smoking and pets for all the rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,967 reviews
La Jolla Shores Hotel
#12 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Sands Of La Jolla? Share your experiences!