“Great experience, fresh ingredients”
Review of Puesto

Puesto
Reserve with OpenTable
Puesto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,236 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Born in Mexico City and rooted in Southern California, Puesto is an award-winning Mexican Artisan Kitchen providing a fresh and contemporary take on authentic Mexican cuisine in an unique and upscale environment. With handmade maiz azul stone-ground tortillas made daily in house, sustainable meats and seafood, slow-cooked guisados, and scratch salsas, Puesto’s menu is a celebration of fundamental Mexican flavors and an homage to the cosmopolitan palate of Mexico City, courtesy of Executive Chef/Partner Luisteen Gonzalez and Executive Creative Chef Katy Smith. Puesto delivers a refreshing craft bar program, grounded in carefully curated agave spirits. We’re known for our Puesto Perfect Margaritas, in addition to palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. Puesto has been featured by media outlets nationally and internationally, some of which include Huffington Post, Refinery 29, MSN, Insider, Zagat, Eater, Food and Wine, and LA Times.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just visited last week for lunch and both my husband and I loved the place. The open doors at the front gave it a really relaxed outdoor feeling even though it's essentially set up like a small fast food restaurant.

We both agreed it was the best and freshest mexican we've had. Hubs liked the chicken taco while I preferred the beef (we each got one of each). I liked that they offered draught Boylan sodas as well- definitely different.

We'd 100% eat there again. If I lived in La Jolla I'd be there all the time!

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

It looked a little like a fast food warehouse with garage doors when we first walked in, but by the time we took our first bite, we knew we had happened upon a real gem. I had the grilled shrimp tacos with mango habanero salsa and my husband had the pork tacos. The meal was prepared in front of us as we waited in line, then we picked our toppings from an extensive selection. Both meals were delicious and costed less than $22 with a beverage. I would eat there again in a New York minute.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We tried the pork, beef,, shrimp and chicken tacos--and that was my order of preference. My companion liked the shrimp best. It was a delight to watch the prepared--especially the frico-like grilling of the cheese--and each taco had a distinctive flavor.

The obvious comparison, with these freshly-made street tacos, is with Tacos el Gordo, the Tijuana-based South Bay chain. There they have no shrimp, fish or chicken, but lots of organ meats such as brain and tongue (which I do not order). Their delicious carne asada and pork adobado tacos are $1.85 each, as against Puesto's three for $8.95 (plus $1.50 per taco if you order shrimp or--yikes--salmon).

Although the rent on Wall Street La Jolla is obviously higher than the rent on H Street in Chula Vista, I still thought the prices were a bit too high--and, annoyingly, more per taco if you order 4 than if you order 3. I would like to see the tacos individually priced as well as lower--say, $2.50 to $3.50 per taco.

Pitting the Puesto's carne asada tacos against Taco el Gordo's, and their pulled pork against the adobado--well, I loved them all, but I would probably go back, if I had one more chance in life for tacos, to Taco el Gordo.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Delicious, delicious, delicious! We are from Texas and there's nothing like this place back at home. These are truly unique tacos that taste out of this world good! We tried the chicken, pork, carne asada and zucchini/cactus. All of them are made in front of you while you're in line and they make them with this crispy cheese that is so tasty. The salsas are spectacular and they don't charge extra for avocado and other toppings. Don't pass up this place in La Jolla. It's in a quaint shopping area too. Parking would probably be an issue at busy times and holidays. We can't wait to visit again in the future!

1  Thank jmstone80
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Taco's are created in front of you. They spice them as you please. Everything is fresh and tasty! Even the fountain drinks are made with pure came sugar. I would highly recommend this place a casual lunch or dinner

EatPuesto, Owner at Puesto, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you Dean, quite the compliment! Hope to see you back