“Like Staying in a Balinese Village, Instead of a Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Seattle
“Like Staying in a Balinese Village, Instead of a Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife and I visit La Jolla twice a year for medical treatments, and have always used the Best Western Inn By The Sea. We’ve reviewed it positively in the past and continue to think it’s a great value ... for a hotel.

On our most recent visit, involving an extended stay, we chose the Pantai Inn because we wanted more room and a kitchen. WOW, were we impressed! Instead of a reasonably-priced hotel, it’s like staying in a cluster of cozy cottages that make up a homey village.

Everything about the place is warm and friendly. From the guy who meticulously cleans the BBQs to the front office staff, everybody is smiling, friendly, and eager to make guests feel at home. They seem like a family. And, it feels like they know each guest by name.

I’ve visited Bali, Indonesia many times, and the Pantai Inn has captured the gracious, loving spirit of that island’s population. Many of the decor features — from stone sculptures, to wood carvings, to prayer flags — are authentic Balinese.

It always bugs me when hotels charge for every little thing. At Pantai Inn, I was surprised to find a laundry room ... that’s free, including detergent. The free breakfast consists of fresh fruit, premium yoghurt, and fresh-baked pastries, rather than the packaged cereals and “Continental Breakfasts” of most hotels. WiFi coverage is excellent and free. Even the parking is free, which is a huge benefit in the popular beachfront location.

It’s always the details that catch my attention. The little coffee creamers on the breakfast counter are arranged artfully. The “Privacy” doortag is carved wood, not a standard plastic sign. The always-available coffee is a premium blend.

Because this stay is for a month, we economized with a non-ocean-view cottage and were impressed with the value. It didn’t cost much more than a standard hotel room at the Best Western, but it was much, much bigger with a full kitchen, separate bedroom, and dining/living room. Plus, the location is superb, right beside the oceanfront park and cove.

We cannot recommend Pantai Inn highly enough on every single count.

Room Tip: Although the view rooms are great, even non-view are fine because there's an outdoor area and br...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeoWalther

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

My friends and I enjoyed our stay at this charming inn right off the coast, with wonderful ocean views. Our two bedroom beautifully decorated suite, was spacious, with all the modern conveniences like internet, full kitchen and a sun room.

Attention to detail is at its highest level with the staff, and the grounds are impeccably manicured.
Water fountains are spread all over the grounds so no matter where you go you will hear the gentle sounds of water.

We loved the Inn's location, and the fact that we could walk a short distance to shops, restaurants and galleries.

You won't get a level of service like this in a big, faceless hotel. When we checked out my friend left her IPAD in our suite.. the inn returned the IPAD back to her the next day at no charge.

Simply outstanding - we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ng031951
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 6 nights from 21st July and enjoyed every minute. The location is perfect and the staff charming and helpful in equal measure. The accommodation is cabin style and from the moment we arrived (early) and were able to check in and find we had been upgraded til we had to leave the hotel staff could not have done more to make our trip any better. We are looking forward to visiting again and would recommend the Pantai to family and friends. The cabin was clean and the linen changed every day with high quality fresh fluffy towels. House keeping were thorough and efficient and the complimentary breakfast was very tasty.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Suemw1
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Suemw1,
Thank you for your review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and all the amenities the Pantai has to offer. We also appreciate the recommendations to your family and friends. We enjoyed creating a memorable experience for you and look forward to your next visit.
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed three days for our anniversary and were VERY happy! Our room was spotless and nicely decorated, it had everything you could need, the view was amazing, the deck was wonderful, the bed was comfortable, the coffee was delicious, the breakfast was good, the employees were especially pleasant, and the location was awesome!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank omlil
Omlil,
Thank you for the kind review! We recognize that San Diego has many hotel options to select from and are honored that Pantai continues to be the first choice for many over and over again. Anniversaries are very special and we’re grateful you stayed with us. Hope to see you on your next anniversary!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family, including 2 teenagers, spent 5 nights at pantai inn. We had a 2 bedroom ocean view suite, that included a small refrigerator and microwave. I was initially put off when the receptionist announced that we had been upgraded to ocean view. In reality we paid extra for ocean view and the suite was on the ground floor not second or third, as we had hoped.

However, we were thrilled with our whole experience. The continental breakfast included lovely fresh berries, melon, and pineapple, which were constantly replenished. The coffee was also wonderful with the muffins and Danish pastry.

The inn is 31 rooms in a few buildings around lovely gardens and patio with heaters for the evening and a fire pit which blazed at night. Coffee and tea were available around the clock with cookies, clementines, and infused water. Free wifi and free parking were nice, too.

We decided to make use of the grills for dinner after discovering a wonderful fish market (El Pescador) and the Whole Foods market nearby. Each evening we cooked fish on the grill and ate on our patio overlooking the pacific and watching the magnificent sunsets! Exquisite! The help was uniformly pleasant and helpful providing a bowl for salad, sharp paring knife, and salt and pepper.

We all agreed that the beds were the most comfortable we had ever slept in and the inn provided beach towels and chairs for our trips to the beach. The room could have accommodated 6 using the sleep sofa. The suite itself was Comfortable but the bathroom was surprisingly tiny and cramped. Really seemed inadequate for 4-6 people to use.

Everything was spotlessly clean. Our only suggestions include adding plain yogurt at breakfast to the flavored choices. And Perhaps peanut butter for protein. All the dish wear is plastic and paper but there is no recycling at pantai. That was troubling given the amount of waste produced.

Pantai is an excellent choice for staying in la Jolla.... Especially if you take advantage of the healthy breakfast and the grilling option for dinner ....and enjoy ocean views with easy access to the beach and town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
3 Thank Ann Marie M
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

The employees always greet you and stop what they are doing if you have anything to ask or bring up with them. Little things like how the continental breakfast was set up and how it was continuously supplied made the experience great. The staff was always friendly and listening. One employee I remember the name of even after the trip, Mr. Fernando, would bring out the food that I liked when I asked ( such as bagels with poppy seeds when there were none ). And he did it quickly too which is always a plus. There was a surplus of seats in the spacious area which allowed me to have choice in where I wanted to sit and look at the ocean as I ate.
One memorable moment in the trip was when I lost my phone and asked the staff if they picked it up at all. The person I spoke with said he would keep an eye out. A day or two later, I run into the same person and he asks if I found my phone yet. We were passing each other around a corner and he recognized me and just asked casually. This literally shocked me that he remembered me and that I lost my phone.
The price range was scary and still is when looking back at it, but it is justified by the location near the ocean and the fantastic service that the employees strive for. It was an experience I haven't had at a hotel before and it makes me happy to have known the people there.

Room Tip: Find a room near an internet modem. The room I stayed far from the front desk had terrible wifi whi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sechs F
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Sechs F,
Thank you for the review and the kind words about Fernando and the team. They are the ones that really make this hotel special. We hope the next time you are visiting La Jolla you will come back and stay with us again.
Bethlehem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

You'll get the most of the California coast by staying at the Pantai Inn in La Jolla. After staying there for 4 days listening to the surf and sea gulls our vacation was complete. The stall at the Pantai Inn was excellent, there wasn't a thing they wouldn't do for you. I had some packages that I needed to be taken to the post office and they were more than happy to do it for us. Being a Saturday with the post office being closed they offered to take it on Monday. I can't begin to say enough about the Pantai Inn. We had a second floor corner suite overlooking the ocean. Just being able to relax and watch the ocean was fantastic. We even brought our breakfasts up to out deck just to take in the beautiful views. The continental breakfasts were extremely adequate, bagels, cereals, juices and lots of fresh local fruits. Spending time at the Pantai Inn gave me the opportunity to observe the staff and when I say they were excellent that's putting it mildly. Their gardner Joseph, deserves as much credit as every other staff member. He performs a meticulous job daily on the surrounding plants and vegetation.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms provided a great view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
#6 of 279 in San Diego
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 279 in San Diego
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,617 reviews

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!