“Fantastic View, Wonderful Staff!”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Bowdle, sd
“Fantastic View, Wonderful Staff!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent 8 nights at one of the vacation rentals that is managed by the Pantai staff and the service was exceptional! Daniel was a delight! We stopped in for a visit whenever we noticed he was working, wonderful addition to the staff! We had a delicious breakfast every morning overlooking the ocean with numerous items to choose from, fresh fruit, delicious pastries, homemade bread, all very tasty. Our room was right across from the Ellen Browning Scrips park which was lush and green, La Jolla Cove within walking distance along with seals! Great place to stay, will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ncsaknecht
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love to hear feedback from our guests and we are pleased that you enjoyed our delicious complimentary breakfast while taking in the amazing ocean view. Thank you for also recognizing the exceptional staff and particularly Daniel. A great review that mentions someone by name always puts a smile on their face! We really appreciate it.
Terima Kasih,
Dallas King

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Let me start by saying that the Pantai Inn checks all the boxes for a Southern California experience. It is on the Pacific coastline…and one has to cross a small 2 lane street in order to be on the cliffs of the Pacific. It is amazing! I don't even know where to start with this little gem. OK…I'll start with the staff: First there is Cathy who assisted me in renting the rooms in order for my cousins, aunt and brothers to come out and have a family vacation. Our rooms were all beautiful…Thank you Cathy. I have to mention Fernando, Daniel and Nina as well They all helped to make our stay enjoyable. The added complimentary continental breakfast was so nice every morning and included enough options for all of us to find something to feel satisfied. The new eating are is beautiful..and the attention to detail superb. I am amazed by the woodwork, the carvings, the stonework and the tiles. Top notch. Everyone LOVED their beds and complimented the fact that the pillows were so comfortable. The rooms were decorated balinese style and I can assure you that the craftsmanship is very exceptional. I inquired from the owner after my last visit as I wanted to order a few items for my own home, only to find that some of the products were far beyond my price range…quartz countertops, etc. The outside terrace area with heaters at night were one of our favorite places. Our family would bring our wine out and sit and talk and laugh. It was so much fun. Every family should have the opportunity that we had to experience this type of fun. Also, nearby is the "Children's Pool" where the baby Seals of La Jolla sun on the beach all day. It's less than a 5 minute walk. When we needed dinner reservations, Fernando assisted us and insured that we obtained a wonderful view at an amazing restaurant overlooking LaJolla. There was a little snafu after we left with the billing, but it was ironed out quickly. It was more of a bother than a problem. Besides this, the stay (4 nights) was awesome..the rooms beautiful, the staff attentive. Additionally, and as a bonus, although slightly more expensive, the Inn offers free parking which is a plus in La Jolla. The service was great. Everything we asked for was accomplished. When one of our rooms didn't have toilet paper, the staff sent a gift up for the oversight. They were just that attentive. I read a bad review on here and I am amazed that people are so pretentious and preposterous. I would return here in a heartbeat..and recommend this hotel to anyone.! Thanks again Pantai Inn! I miss you and think of you often!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if it's available for an ocean front...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank faithd58
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hi faithd58,
Thank you for the great review! Your enthusiasm and love of the Pantai Inn is truly inspiring and such a wonderful testament to our dedicated staff. Thank you for your praise, which I am happy to share with the team. We look forward to being the site of many more incredible retreats. Warm regards, Dallas King General Manager.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I are so looking forward to coming back here again next year. It is a lovely, well-run inn right in La Jolla cove. You have it all right outside your door - the seals and sea lions, the park, the spectacular cliffs and beautiful blue-green churning waves, the surfers and those crazy folks who swim in 55-degree oceans. You can see all this from the big courtyard in the middle of the inn. It is on the non-stinky end of the cove. One block behind the inn is Prospect street with all the restaurants, art galleries, etc. The staff is accommodating. You get a continental breakfast and two big chocolates that come with the evening turn-down service. A gas fireplace is nice in the evening. Even if you can find a cheaper place outside of La Jolla, it is worth it to be right here where you can see dawn over the ocean and the pretty colorful sunsets.

Room Tip: We were in room 105, which is a 1-bedroom efficiency and very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lindalee B
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 26, 2014

What an exceptional hotel. This is not your cookie cutter chain-type establishment but an INCREDIBLE destination lodge---on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA. I mean, you are right there at the ocean (not on the beach-you are on one side of the street and the ocean is on the other). You drive up and think, what is this place? But once you walk into the courtyard, and then into the lobby and finally your Balinese-styled rooms, you're transported to Bali itself. I'm not kidding--I spent a year in Bali, and this is just like it, but with better amenities. Don't be scared off by the higher room costs---you get what you pay for. Everything is new, attractive, and delightful, and the location is unbeatable. FANTASTIC if you're going to La Jolla with multiple family members and want to be together in one location. Book it if you can (they're full a LOT!)

Room Tip: Even some of the less expensive rooms have extraordinary views---ask for one of those.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank LCSD92111
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear LCSD92111,

Thank you for your amazing review. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our property. I appreciate your comments about the decor, location, and amenities. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Terima Kasih,

TUCSON
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have stayed at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok and did not receive the level of service we got at Pantai. The staff was amazing,especially Fernando, Daniel and Nina. The room and view were spectacular, bed linens of the finest quality,
full kitchen, easy walking distance to shopping and the ocean right across the street. I loved sitting on the veranda late at night listning to the ocean, drinking a glass of wine. The furnishings from Bali, the Teak wood furninture all added to the exotic atmosphere you get at this gem hidden amongst all the
chrome and steel of other hotels. Highly recommend this inn, we have already booked our next stay .
Jim and Yolanda Randall
Tucson, AZ.

Room Tip: suggest the ocean front rooms for view, some of the other ocean view rooms are lavishly exotic.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JIM R
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in the one bedroom full ocean view villa. The location is great and a really short walk from the downtown area. Parking was no issue and it was free! We plan to stay here if were are ever in San Diego again. Everything about the apartment was great. Don't think twice..just book it!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluesushi76
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hi Bluesushi76,
I am certain that many more wonderful, romantic getaways await you at Pantai Inn. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another fantastic experience. Thank you for the kind review!

Warm Regards,
Camas, Washington
Reviewed February 6, 2014

It is a fully functional small apartment, much more than just a bed and breakfast place. The lovely decorated lobby brings you to Bali, with fresh orchard, welcoming coffee, tea and fresh fruit in iced water. The apt. Is nicely decorated, it is much better than pictures at the hotel website shows. Yes.it is plastic flower and plants in the room, but how many hotels offer in room fresh flower and plants? There are fire place, large flat screen TV in the living room and bed room. I love the unique copper sink in the bath room and kitchen. The bed is very comfortable, you can hear the ocean waves at night. After dinner, we found our room with the fireplace going and the bed turned down with two piece of gourmet dark chocolate. I will definitely go back and stay longer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Empress Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!