“Can't say enough great things about this place”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed February 26, 2014

What an exceptional hotel. This is not your cookie cutter chain-type establishment but an INCREDIBLE destination lodge---on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA. I mean, you are right there at the ocean (not on the beach-you are on one side of the street and the ocean is on the other). You drive up and think, what is this place? But once you walk into the courtyard, and then into the lobby and finally your Balinese-styled rooms, you're transported to Bali itself. I'm not kidding--I spent a year in Bali, and this is just like it, but with better amenities. Don't be scared off by the higher room costs---you get what you pay for. Everything is new, attractive, and delightful, and the location is unbeatable. FANTASTIC if you're going to La Jolla with multiple family members and want to be together in one location. Book it if you can (they're full a LOT!)

Room Tip: Even some of the less expensive rooms have extraordinary views---ask for one of those.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LCSD92111
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear LCSD92111,

Thank you for your amazing review. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our property. I appreciate your comments about the decor, location, and amenities. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dallas King

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have stayed at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok and did not receive the level of service we got at Pantai. The staff was amazing,especially Fernando, Daniel and Nina. The room and view were spectacular, bed linens of the finest quality,
full kitchen, easy walking distance to shopping and the ocean right across the street. I loved sitting on the veranda late at night listning to the ocean, drinking a glass of wine. The furnishings from Bali, the Teak wood furninture all added to the exotic atmosphere you get at this gem hidden amongst all the
chrome and steel of other hotels. Highly recommend this inn, we have already booked our next stay .
Jim and Yolanda Randall
Tucson, AZ.

Room Tip: suggest the ocean front rooms for view, some of the other ocean view rooms are lavishly exotic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JIM R
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in the one bedroom full ocean view villa. The location is great and a really short walk from the downtown area. Parking was no issue and it was free! We plan to stay here if were are ever in San Diego again. Everything about the apartment was great. Don't think twice..just book it!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bluesushi76
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Hi Bluesushi76,
I am certain that many more wonderful, romantic getaways await you at Pantai Inn. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another fantastic experience. Thank you for the kind review!

Warm Regards,
Dallas King

Reviewed February 6, 2014

It is a fully functional small apartment, much more than just a bed and breakfast place. The lovely decorated lobby brings you to Bali, with fresh orchard, welcoming coffee, tea and fresh fruit in iced water. The apt. Is nicely decorated, it is much better than pictures at the hotel website shows. Yes.it is plastic flower and plants in the room, but how many hotels offer in room fresh flower and plants? There are fire place, large flat screen TV in the living room and bed room. I love the unique copper sink in the bath room and kitchen. The bed is very comfortable, you can hear the ocean waves at night. After dinner, we found our room with the fireplace going and the bed turned down with two piece of gourmet dark chocolate. I will definitely go back and stay longer.

1  Thank Carrie4896
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This place is AMAZING!!!! This was an anniversary surprise and we were delighted in every way! We arrived and our room was not ready so they upgraded us at no extra cost without us even asking. Not only that, it was the primo room with sensational views!!! We had chilled wine waiting, wonderful service, a great continental breakfast with a cute little courtyard, topped off with lush linens, towels and amenities. Simply cannot say enough great things about this place, I wanted to just rent the place before our stay was complete!! We will be regulars here for sure! Thank you to all their staff for an amazing celebration!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon D
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Sharon D,
You describe what I hope is the quintessential Pantai Inn experience, complete with spectacular views and attentive service. Our team will be delighted to know that your stay was so enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dallas King, General Manager

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The Pantai Inn is really nice. We stayed in a partial ocean view room (#202) and were very pleased. The location is beyond great, the room is more like an apartment. The bathroom, although smaller, makes good use of the space. The service is fantastic. It really feels like being at home, if home is having a luxury vacation home on the beach in some of the most expensive real estate in California. My only complaint would be the silk/fake plants in the room. It is really unnecessary (and a little tacky) for such a high caliber property. I appreciate the Balinese/Tommy Bahama decor, but it is possible to go overboard. I might also mention that parking is free, the beds are large and breakfast was perfect!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Since this was found on Luxury Links, I thought it would be that. Uh, no.
The positives: very clean, EXCELLENT location, right on LaJolla Cove
walking distance to great restaurants (see Azul & Eddie V's) and cute shops. It IS in a near residential area (the large bldg next door is private apartments).
The staff was always kind and respectful, the bed very very comfy but small- (queen sized- too small for a 6'4" man and his petite fiance'). Nice kitchen, lots of windows, quaint dining area, cozy gas fireplace which came in handy for the chilly nights on the ocean. I could hear the ocean from our room, the waves crashing against rocks and it was HEAVEN. Flat screen TV in living room and bedroom.
I was a bit taken back by the small bathroom with NO shelf space or shelving for items; a walk in shower (what you would expect for a handicap access, though the doorway was much too small) causing what little floorspace available to puddle up and leave you with dripping wet feet when leaving BR into the kitchen(!?!)
Flowers were fake which was a bit disappointing and the bedroom cramped and tiny.
Without intending to or appearing elitist, I somewhat expected the cliental to be of a more respectful and mature status. Our 'neighbors' who shared their front door stairway with our back door stairway (and only yards from our bedroom) were LOUD, with mom yelling to her husband or teen son from the doorway at all hours, but usually at night. Honestly I felt like i was on a playground. The staff was ALWAYS kind, but they too talked way too loudly and 5-6am when you are on vacation, you kind of want to sleep in a bit- which is 6:30-7 for us. I had to call 3 times for them to fix the remote for the flatscreen (I like to watch the news while getting ready in the morning). The first 2 times I called, I got a ,'She will be right up.' The third time, I did share my frustration with the lack of attention.
The 'turndown service was random, and while I didn't need my bed tended to, it was nice to get fresh towels and a fresh bath matt, when the entire floor was like a beach after a short shower. This only happened 4 of my 6 nights. One morning a staffer had asked if he could be of any service and I reported to have no shampoo left. "I'll bring some right up." 1 hour later, I had to call again, I even offered to come down and get it. Another 1/2 hour later I received. THis is on me to some degree as I almost always bring my own. My last trip to a 'luxury' resort/hotel, provided me with
FABULOUS shampoo/conditioner, so i just assumed this would be same
This sounds nit picky, but when you purport to be a luxury boutique hotel, the assumption is that you will have tasteful, sumptuous accommodations and an attentive staff. This unfortunately fell a bit short of the mark.

3  Thank GinaZocn
Dallas K, General Manager at Pantai Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Hi GinaZocn, I sincerely appreciate your feedback. We at Pantai Inn take pride in providing outstanding guest service. Please accept my apology for obviously falling short in attending to your needs. I assure you, I am personally following-up and reviewing each item you mentioned with staff to insure other guests’ experience exceeds expectations.

Addressing the issues you mention with your accommodations, I’m a bit puzzled and do not quite know how to respond to your comment of having a small or queen-sized bed. I can assure you; your room had a king-size bed. Maybe the hand-carved posts of the canopied bed created an illusion of being smaller than you are accustomed.

Pantai Inn’s century-old architecture contributes to the uniqueness and quaintness of its old-world charm. As such, some of the designs and sizes of various features within accommodations are constrained by having to preserve original historic configurations. Although the size of the bathroom in your room may have been smaller than you are accustom to at traditional “luxury” hotels, Pantai Inn’s bathrooms are a work of art with their floor to ceiling tile embellished with custom imported Balinese inlays, surround-lit vanity mirrors, granite counters with hand-pounded copper sinks and traditional rain showers found in Bali. Pantai Inn also provides the finest line of Gilchrist & Soames bath amenities and other products to guests.

You mention the flowers in your room being fake. Pantai Inn immerses guests into a Balinese experiential atmosphere. Arriving guests pass through traditional spiritual keys entering into the serenity of calming waters, coral stone walkways and courtyard with meticulous gardens. Accommodations are abundant with museum quality artwork imported from Bali. This immersion includes flowers and plants in rooms found in Bali that do not grow well in La Jolla’s Mediterranean coastal climate. As such, Pantai Inn imported the finest silks from around the world for guest to enjoy and experience Bali’s flora.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your feedback as this is a very important tool for us to learn of things needing to be addresses and an opportunity to improve our service and facilities.

Dallas King, General Manager

Downtown
Pendry San Diego
Pendry San Diego
#2 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!