“My three days in La Jolla, CA”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed April 13, 2013

What a pleasant surprise the Pantai Inn was. The property was in a Balinese motif, and the theme was carried out throughout the rooms. We had a one bedroom suite for three days. We faced the ocean, so both the view and room were great. The staff are very friendly, and the manager Kathie, is awesome. She constantly asked whether there was anything we needed, and if so, took care of it. My wife and I cannot wait to return. The Inn is expanding its number of units, and does provide off street self parking.

Room Tip: 208 or 108 have the best views and are super rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SteveK8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went here in February for our honeymoon. We couldn't have chosen a better location in La Jolla! After seeing all the other places once we got there, we knew there was nothing better for a romantic getaway. Pantai Inn is incredibly beautiful and serene. We were so happy that this place seemed more like a resort than a hotel. The service was hands down the best I have ever received. They treated my husband and I like royalty. We got upgraded to the upstairs full ocean view and the suite was so nice, very modern, and we like the tropical Bali theme to it. We loved getting to eat breakfast by the ocean every morning. And every night we fell asleep to the soothing sound of the ocean. We met several staff there. The manager, two other men, and a woman (I believe her name was Cindy) and they were so helpful in helping us around La Jolla. The nice woman even set up a hair appointment at a nice salon to get my hair cut! Every day the cleaning staff came by two times a day, which was an unexpected surprise. And each night they left chocolates on our bed and "set the mood" with some jazzy tunes on the flat screen tvs. Pantai Inn is in great location to the coast. We barely had to walk to get down to the ocean, where we could walk on the sand and see the seals on the big rocks! We have so many great memories, and we are very very pleased that we chose Pantai Inn in La Jolla.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hkee2213
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My partner and our granddaughter met my son and daughter at the Pantai Inn for a five night vacation. We were coming from north east Canada and they were coming from north west Canada so it was a mutual meeting place. We chose the Pantai Inn because of the reviews on tripadvisor and because we wanted a 3 bedroom villa. The villa exceeded all of our expectations. It was charming and roomy. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was a bonus. The view was advertised as partial, but when I can sit on the balcony and watch the waves roll in I call that perfect. If you want to stay in a place with easy access to the ocean, great restaurants only 39 steps away and a wonderful ambiance, then I highly recommend Pantai Inn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jobar100
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed in room 208 for five nights. A beautiful spot looking across Coast Blvd to the Pacific. Private deck, full kitchen and nice small bedroom. The giant TV was a nice bonus for March Madness. Beautiful courtyard and grounds. Very kind staff. Always coffee and tea in the lobby. Fresh fruits, cereal and bagels for breakfast. Walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. There was a mix-up upon check in - we booked full ocean view suite thru LuxuryLink and we were originally shown to a room with no view. Quickly remedied, but since there is only one room like 208 be sure you've confirmed it if that's the room you desire.

This is called a luxury property by some - it's not actually luxury if you're thinking Waldorf or Leading Hotels of the World. But it is wonderfully peaceful and beautiful. The adornments in suite weren't my taste (fake flowers, bamboo furniture) but that's v. subjective. Would highly recommend for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: 208 is by far the best room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I went back and forth on where we wanted to go for our very first anniversary. We both wanted something nice and quiet and my wife loves the ocean. The problem we had was that our anniversary falls during spring break. I found the Pantai Inn here on tripadvisor, saw the reviews but was more impressed by the staffs responses to the reviews. I am all about guest service and usually ask a lot out of the staff where ever i stay. Right after booking, i sent an email to the hotel to find out what they could offer for a one year anniversary and was very impressed by the quick response. Ryan, the gentleman that responded, was one of the best I have encountered with regards to guest service. He handled everything promptly and professionally. He told me about the romance package which included flowers, a bottle of wine, candles, and chocolates. I set that up with him but push the boundaries by asking him for a wine that the hotel does not usually use. He responded quickly by saying that not only would he have someone get that for me but that he would have it all in the room prior to our arrival. At other hotels I have ordered similar packages and paid twice as much but did not get an option of wine. I have also gotten use to having to check in before a concierge could go in and set up a room, Ryan and the staff at Pantai Inn went beyond my expectations. Needless to say, I was impressed with the Pantai Inn before I ever left my home.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Ryan who shook my hand and introduced himself by saying he was the guy that had been talking to me through emails. It is a smaller hotel but it seemed as if he was expecting us and throughout my stay he would always refer to me by name. It was that type of service that made us feel welcome and comfortable. Ryan was impressive through email and did not disappoint in person. He is very good at his job, its really a gift he has.

As far as the hotel itself, its furnishings are marvelous. no corners cut, my wife liked the small touches like books in the room about Bali and Balinese culture. I had my questions about the shower because the floor was flat with the bathroom tile but those questions quickly vanished after my first shower. The two ceiling shower heads that rained water down were perfect and relaxing. The sink in the bathroom did leak when we got there but was not really an issue because the floor was designed to get wet. I did let Ryan know though because I did not want it to become a bigger problem in the future, he promptly had it repaired while we took a trip to Old Town San Diego, It was a 15 minute drive from the hotel.

The ocean cliffs are right across the street. There is also a park and many walking paths along the water. There are little coves you can walk down to and play in the water if you wanted. There was no shortage of sights from the sea life, seals make the cove there home, to sunsets. We also found a walking trail away from all the people called Coast Walk, which was a five minute walk from the hotel. It followed along the cliff, over a bridge, and through some bushes and flower areas that added to the beauty of the place.

Restaurants were all within walking distance. I again asked Ryan the hard questions. Told him my wife wanted something not too fancy but not too regular and she wanted Italian, He quickly told us about Amici's, which turned out to be the perfect place to eat, just what my wife was thinking. All the restaurants are a quick walk up the hill from the hotel, which meant my wife and I never had to drive anywhere if we did not want too.

Breakfast was great, we came down late to lunch and were the last to arrive but Ryan made sure we were taken care of. Personally got me some orange juice and grabbed my toast out of the toaster for me on his way. The second morning my wife brought me breakfast to my bed, which was kind of nice but a bummer at the same time since i later found out that one of the seals had made his way up to the hotel and was hanging out in the breakfast area. Sea World was contacted and they sent a team out to rescue the young seal which was kind of cool to watch. My wife came and got me and told me just as the rescuer got him into a net and to safety.

If we could complain about anything, it would be the noise in the morning. The garbage truck comes early and the trucks to pick up the linens can be loud too. People they walk up the street by the hotel sound like they are in your living room at times, especially when there excited or laughing. Once that noise calms, it is a peaceful ocean noise that you hear, waves crashing on the beach. Otherwise this was a great hotel and the staff makes it all worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan T
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Although it was just a two-night stay at Pantai Inn, it was a perfect stay and worth every penny! Room was better than what we saw in the pictures. Staffs are nice. Breakfast was great. Even though it seems small but the quality of each breakfast item was better than many other 4-5 stars we stayed in the west coast. Also, best location with the best view. Can't ask for anything more than what the hotel offer. The room was more a contemporary design but equiped with up-to-date technology.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned home from a four day weekend at the Pantai Inn. What a wonderful experience!!!
We arrived from the airport and were warmly greeted. Not only were we able to check in early, but we were upgraded to a two bedroom full ocean view, from a one bedroom. We stayed in room 101, with a wonderful view of the ocean, outdoor patio, indoor sunroom, living room with fireplace, small kitchen...

After returning from a long walk along the ocean, we decided to enjoy the view from the patio and the welcome bottle of wine. Everyone passing by on the street looked up at our location. Many people commented on what a great spot we had. Yes, we smiled and lifted our glass of wine as a toast.

Positives: the bed, fireplace on timer, lots of room to spread out, staff, and location, location, location!!!
Some tiny, very tiny negatives: if we had guests in the second room- the one bathroom would have been small for more guest, lack of counter space in bathroom, and the shower water going every where.

Overall, this place exceeded my expectations and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Thanks Pantai Inn!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Downtown
Pendry San Diego
Pendry San Diego
#2 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Pantai Inn? Share your experiences!