“Wonderful Dinner with a View to Match”

Eddie V's Prime Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Eddie V's Prime Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cave St.
Transit: San Diego Transit Authority Bus #30 stops at the corner of Torrey Pines Road and Prospect Street.
Philadelphia
“Wonderful Dinner with a View to Match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was our first trip to La Jolla, and my wife and I tried to have dinner at George's at the Cove, which was recommended by our hotel's concierge. It was a Saturday and George’s was very crowded, so we decided to give Eddie V’s a try. We were very happy that we did. The outside seating is on the roof, so the view of La Jolla Cove is beautiful. We started with a drink at the bar where the very friendly bartender gave us a little history about the area. We finished our drinks just when they started serving dinner, so we were able to get a table outside overlooking the water. The wait staff was wonderful. Our waiter gave us a thorough overview of the menu, made some excellent recommendations, and was extremely attentive throughout the meal. He checked on us several times to make sure we were comfortable as it was a cool (by San Diego standards) afternoon. The menu focuses on seafood, although they do offer limited steak and chicken options. I started with the Maine Lobster Tacos, which were outstanding. My wife enjoyed a mixture of two types of oysters on the half shell. For our main courses we had Pacific Swordfish and Maine Lobster. Both were delicious. For a side, try the Truffled Macaroni and Cheese. We finished with coffee and dessert while watching the sunset. It was an excellent meal with a view to match.

• Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Mclean, Virginia
“What a terrific combination of service and culinary excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

On a business trip to San Diego and before catching the red eye back to the West Coast my well informed host took us to this wonderful restaurant. Even with a very tight schedule they delivered an exceptional tasting for us followed by a to die for selection of main dishes including the finest filet made in the most simple way possible and just delightful. My host had fish which he was very happy with and his other guests from Mexico equally impressed with their seafood dishes even though they are the globe trotting executives who have been there and done that. The best part of this experience was their world class service. Even on a very tight deadline. So smooth and without much fuss. Clearly experts!
Will be back again and very soon.

• Visited February 2014
Maine
“FAB Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stopped into Eddie V's on our last night in LaJolla and so glad we did. Thankfully we got there when we did as the restaurant filled up quickly and we hadn't made reservations (~6pm). We were immediately seated in the bar area, high table, cozy not far from the fireplace. I ordered the 'Aviator' martini, and wow what a kick! I had the generous portion of jumbo gulf shrimp with Jonah crab and have to confess this is the BEST shrimp i have EVER had and I live on the east coast; 5 large shrimp of which I could only eat 3, giving the rest to my fiance! He enjoyed the market fish of the day, which I believe was a Chilean sea bass; he finished it and was very pleased. We shared the 'side dish' of garlic & herbed fingerling potatoes (small) which could have fed 3 people. We were much too full for dessert. Great food, terrific service by an attentive and genuine staff. Given the opportunity, we would absolutely dine there again.

• Visited January 2014
chicago
“Eddie V's - More Than Just a View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Eddie V's is a sophisticated restaurant, with many top notch sea food offerings, as well as some great beef choices. The view is spectacular; an unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean from the La Jolla shore, but this property is so much more than that. It is exceptional service, exceedingly professional service, with the best choices in seafood and meats from a creative menu.

Located on Prospect St. in La Jolla Shores, parking is difficult. Your choices are 2 hour street level parking, an $8.00 public parking ramp close to the restaurant (where the elevators close at 6:00 PM each day???? REALLY) or what I would recommend, the "Public Valet". These guys are a few steps from Eddie V's and fast.

As previously stated, the view is world class, so I would recommend taking advantage, if at all possible, of the sunset from the top of the restaurant. Seating up top is open, with no reservation required.

But the reason you are reading this is the meal, the dinner, the experience, and yes, this may be one of the best dining experiences you enjoy.

The Hostess team is considerate and accommodating. While we had a reservation, we arrived early for a drink. They got us a spot at the bar and worked on a seating an hour early. Once seated we were give a table facing the ocean. While it was dark at this time, the view of the La Jolla hills was great.

Our server, Andrew, was attentive, and provided a nice personalized touch. He discussed steak temperatures with my wife, to get the exact preparation down. The specials were presented early, during drinks, so we had plenty of opportunity to contemplate.

Our meal was a knock out. While choosing a light meal, with salads and entrees ONLY, we still left full, but not "beached".

My wife chose the Heirloom Tomato Salad, a deviate of the Caprisi salad (Mozz and Tomatoe with Balsamic), and an 8 oz. fillet for the entree. The steak was seasoned with garlic and cracked pepper, and as I stated before, the server worked to get the perfect preparation temperature for my wife’s palette.

I chose the Iceberg BLT (Iceberg wedge, blue cheese, creamy dressing and bacon) with the Sea Bass special. The Sea Bass special was a more traditional, butter based preparation, different from the standard Oriental preparation, and this entree was great! Buttery, mild and melt in your mouth. Hot at the table. Perfect!

In summary, I can only communicate how good this meal was for me and my wife. You will have to go to decide for yourself!

• Visited January 2014
San Diego, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

took my sister here for her b'day. her friend recommeded it. I was disappointed in the items we tried. Lobster taco, nothing special for the price. Crab meat was a meger portion and the crab fried rice was sticky and flavorless. Probably won't be back.

Visited October 2013