1,780 results
All reviews golf course torrey pines front desk self parking play golf the pacific ocean san diego business trip very nice hotel an upgrade beautiful property fitness center per day short drive conference golfers concierge
Reviewed August 7, 2017

I want to be very accurate on this review so it will be a bit length, but trust me worth the read.
We bid on an auction item at a fund raiser for St. Jude hospital and this was a part of the package, a 1 night stay in the Presidential Suite. I called the number provided and was told how popular this room was so would have to book quite a ways out in advance, however, it was so beautiful it was worth the wait. Fast forward 6 months to the date we were given 08/05/17. We dropped off our dog at his room and board and headed down from Newport Beach to this property, estimated driving time 1.5 hours, however, due to traffic it took 3 hours.
We arrived at 12:30 and checked in at the front desk where we were told that it was not cleaned yet, however, they would put a rush on it and call us when it was ready. I asked if there was a place where we could change and she pointed down the hallway to a public bathroom. Not that I am a germaphobe but putting my luggage on a public bathroom floor and changing just did not appeal to be, and besides, I had shorts on and they were rushing the room cleaning.
It is important to remember that they we rushing the room cleaning, because this was the first lie.
We grabbed a couple of thread worn towels at the pool. I was hungry so walked up to the poolside cafe and was quickly told by the only person there, "I am completely slammed and you will have to come back in 10 minutes". I walked back inside to the restaurant in the hotel, where there was no one, and placed my order and tried to charge it too my room to get Hilton points but was told that they had no way to do that so paid with a credit card.
After about 2 hours of sitting by the pool I decided to see how our "rush" was coming along so called the front desk. The lady who answered told me they had just come on and were logging in but would call me right back. Second lie.
I walked up to the pool cafe again, however there was a hand made sign which said, back in 30. This is on a Saturday in the height of tourist season and they don't have more than one person handling the pool side cafe??
The person at the front desk never called me back so I decided I would walk in and see what was going on. 3rd lie.
I walked up to the initial person who checked me in and she just looked at me as if she had never seen me before. I said just checking now that it is 3:30 to see how the rush clean is coming along, and knowing that regular check in was 4:00....
She grabs the day manager, Jeff, who proceeds to tell me that they were just getting ready to move the people who were in the room out to another room, wait, what? I said this is new information and it would have been nice to know as we would have left the property and gone down town to walk around. He gives me no apology.4th lie
At 4:00 I walk back up to the same check in clerk and say, okay it is 4:00 can I have my keys. She again gets Jeff who tells me that they have yet to start cleaning the room and that it might take as long as 2 hours. I say we just want to put our luggage in the room and change. He says it is a Health Code violation. 5th lie Wait aren't you the same people who wanted me to change my clothes in a public restroom? How much more unsanitary could this room possibly be?
I look at him and ask to see this code, he does not have it available, still no apology. 6th lie
At this point I grab my luggage put it in my car and leave the property.
On my way home I get a call from another individual supposedly higher up who tells me that the room is ready. I decline.
Another hour goes by and we get a text message letting us know our room is ready to check in.
This auction item cost me $5,000 and yes it was for charity so I feel okay about that. I just want to let everyone know that they are the most disrespectful hotel I have ever been to.
On and as I was leaving the concierge comes up and says, you really need to write a bad review to both yelp and Travelocity so they will get better.
Hope this is sufficient.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank oceanboy52
Kaitlyn W, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your review via TripAdvisor. We apologize for this unfortunate experience at our hotel and we understand your frustrations. Our hotel check-in time starts at 4pm daily and while we do our very best each day to ensure our guests get to check-in on time or even early, 4pm check-in is not guaranteed. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we have shared your comments with our team at the Front Desk. We also apologize for the level of service you encountered at the pool bar and we have addressed this issue with our Restaurant Managers. Again, we are very sorry that your experience at our property was not up to our usual high standards. We hope you will consider staying with us again soon so we may have the opportunity to make it right.

Reviewed August 5, 2017

Everything about the hotel was OK - the rooms were fine and the beds were lovely and comfortable. The pool area was good too, but the overall atmosphere and service was very average. I'd expected more from a Hilton. Restaurant food was good, but very little choice, especially as we had 2 teenagers who couldn't find anything on the menu they liked. You also need to be aware that to go out in an evening to eat, or for breakfast, there's nowhere nearby, so you need to jump in the car and drive to La Jolla Shores (about 10 mins away). The staff were friendly enough, but a couple of times we asked for things and they didn't come.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Kaitlyn W, Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that your experience at our property was not up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will consider staying with us again soon so we may have the opportunity to make it right.

Reviewed August 4, 2017

I stayed at this location for a conference. The staff, from the front desk, to the waitstaff, to the bellmen, were fantastic. They were welcoming and helpful. The bell staff will drive you over to Torrey Pines, which they did for me the first day so that I could explore. The rooms were very comfortable. The staff even text you to make sure you are comfortable. I lost my water bottle at one point and the staff returned it to my room. Although it is pricey and you have to pay for parking, this hotel pampers you and makes you feel special! Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room tip: Rooms are very quiet, even with flyovers constantly.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2017

Was a good experience overall. Dinner in the restaurant was the only downside. Warm white wine, which was sent back. The meal was not the best and a server though pleasant, not attentive at all. On the upside, the room was very good, and bed extremely comfortable.would have liked coffee bar to have been open longer. Only option in the late afternoon was the bar for tea and coffee and they had to get it from the kitchen, which was not a quick process.

Reviewed August 1, 2017

I loved staying at the La Jolla Hilton. It was a great location, the grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. Everyone that worked there was pleasant, friendly, and helpful. I would stay there again and recommend to my friends.