Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$258
$199
Official Website
  • Pool
La Valencia Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$309
$169
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$189
Hyatt.com
$151
  • Breakfast included
$199
  • Breakfast included
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$181
$149
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
$374
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$140
$127
La Jolla Shores Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$249
1,664 results
All reviewsgolf coursetorrey pinesfront deskself parkingplay golfthe pacific oceansan diegobusiness tripbeautiful hotelper dayfitness centeran upgradegrounds are beautifulshort drivefire pitconferencegolfers
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed at the property for 3 nights for an industry convention. The property is beautiful and well maintained. I didn't golf but my colleagues raved about the course. Staff service was very friendly and everyone seemed to go out of their way.

On the negatives, $25 per day for self-parking is exorbitant, as others have written. Wi-Fi was spotty at best. Although bathrooms were nicely decorated and spacious, it didn't look like the mopped the floors in some time. Fortunately, I brought my own slippers! I also noticed a small stain on the bedsheets on my last night. It was too late to call housekeeping but this should have been caught by the housekeeper when they made the bed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook sitting areas outside. My room faced a quiet side but heard from others they had a hard time sleeping while people were outside by the fire pits.
1  Thank GMan61
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This large hotel is in a great location with magnificent views and grounds. First impression is that the common areas are a bit dated, but the rooms less so. Overall the hotel is convenient and clean. The two star rating was earned over the course of a five night visit while I attended a conference at the hotel. Here are more details:

Check-in: Room wasn't ready at 1:45 p.m but that happens, so I was okay to wait. The last day I had a red-eye flight home, so at check-in I asked the front desk if there were any places to change my clothes after my meetings and before my flight and the answer was a sharp "NO". When pressed (fitness center, pool area, spa??) she offered the bathroom off the lobby.

Room: I had a regular room which was spacious. The lighting in the bathroom was excellent and effective in the main part of the room. Temperature was easy to control. The views as mentioned above were outstanding and the hotel was set up to maximize those views from as many rooms as possible. Shower pressure good. Towels plush. Everything was clean (though my room was never serviced earlier than 3:00 p.m.). I was near the elevator, but there was no issue with sound. The only negative issue with the room was lack of electrical outlets near the bed (or on the wall even far from the bed). I had to find one behind the furniture so that I could charge and keep my phone nearby, which doubles as my alarm clock.

Dining: This was a major problem. As mentioned, I was attending a conference with 380 attendees. The hotel restaurant was not prepared to handle the crowd (they should have known how many people were staying at the hotel and that they may choose to eat breakfast there!). Though most of the wait staff was courteous they just couldn't keep the drinks filled or in general handle the crowd. I think they expected everyone to eat the buffet, but as we were having breakfast meetings we preferred the menu so that we could continue our conversations. The first morning we waited about 15 minutes for service and then 45 minutes for food. On the second morning they stated that it would be a 45 minute wait though the food came in about 35 minutes. The third morning, rather than staffing up as a response to the first days, they forced us to have the buffet as they were not offering food from the menu due to the "volume" - ironically by that point half of the people had gone home so the restaurant had plenty of empty tables (again they should have known how many people were booked into the hotel for better planning). The buffet was an issue for us, because our conversation lost momentum as we had to leave the table and stand in line for eggs (I was 8th - as there was only one person at the egg station). This episode dropped my rating from three to two stars.

I also ate lunch there everyday and the menu was extremely limited. My colleague asked for an entrée size of a simple iceberg lettuce salad they offered as an appetizer and they said they couldn't do it. I don't know why they just didn't double the size and price and accommodate him. We ate with someone else who ordered it the day before and it was very small. The food was prepared fine, but the choices limited.

Amount of staffing was an issue throughout the hotel. After our dinner events the crowd would flow into the bar where there were only two very overwhelmed people working.

The food at the actual conference events varied in quality from solidly average to good, but all around it was better than the restaurant. Interestingly, they only served ice tea at lunch and no water.

Recommendation: For variety you can easily walk next door to The Lodge - a beautiful hotel next door with a nice restaurant. That is also the place to go if you are looking for a spa, which the Hilton didn't have. This was a surprise given the location and size of the hotel.

Bell Desk: This Hilton has the best bell staff I have ever encountered - especially Matthew - though all of them were great. They hustle, go above and beyond to be helpful and consistently had enough people to be effective.

Meeting Space: Typical ballroom type meeting space. There was great seating area throughout the common areas, which was excellent for small meetings. It also varied from tables with chairs, to couches etc...very useful and there was plenty of it.

There is a little store which is well stocked. Only issue was at night I couldn't find a bottle of water anywhere (except the $5.50 bottle in the room). No vending machines that I could find.

WiFi worked great - throughout the property.

Recreation: Nice pool, terraces to sit on and gorgeous garden paths to walk. There is a great (though may be robust for some) hike to the beach - bring your camera. Running trails. The equipment in the fitness center worked with a variety of cardio machines with entertainment units. There were some limited weight machines and other equipment. Earbuds, cold and dry towels available.

Overall, when you have a hotel that is a bit dated and lacking a few amenities (spa), you can overcome that with excellent staffing. The people here were mostly friendly, some exceptionally helpful, but there just weren't enough of them.

4  Thank massam3

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide a comfortable and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We will share your review with our staff and make necessary adjustments to better serve our guests. We do offer spa services at our hotel and our team would be happy to make an appointment for you the next time you visit. We hope the next time you are in the area you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Gorgeous property, really nice staff, good food and beer list. Wanted to especially commend Mandy M for getting us food and drink outside last night when the bar was mobbed by a group that had pretty much taken over the entire hotel for some special event. Lovely spot.

Room Tip: Facing the pool, not lower floor (phone reception issues down there)
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your five star review and taking the time to share your experience! We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Couple of us visit our friend who stayed in Hilton La Jolla this week. She is a diamond member and got upgraded to this suite with two balconies, dining area and leaving room. We hanged out and talked until 9pm before we went down-stare to find something to eat. The bar was packed with people in suites. We thought to ourselves that it will be impossible to get attention munch less get some food. We then walked outside to the balcony and was greeted by Mandy M who ensured us that she has connection and can get what we need in a flash. Three glasses of wine, one beer and four orders of Thai chicken wing later, we left happy, satisfy and impress with the facility and services. Very impressive facility and thank you so much Mandy M for your kindness, friendliness and great service. I will be sure to choose Hilton Torrey Pine on my next visit to SD

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to share via TripAdvisor. We will share your review with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Comfortable, well-appointed rooms, friendly staff, and a very pleasant setting. Extremely quiet rooms and hallways. The only negatives were the prices for Wi-Fi and parking, plus the less-than-convenient separation between the parking structure and the hotel building. All in all, a very nice hotel to which we would be happy to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your five star review! We are thrilled you found our hotel comfortable and our staff helpful. We hope to welcome you back again soon.