“Great location, rooms not so good”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 4 nights. Reading the previous reviews, I was worried about construction noise, so emailed the hotel a few weeks before our check in date. They assured me that the room I reserved (partial ocean view) was on the opposite side of the construction site and didn't get much noise (which was true).
The location is super: by the beach, 5-7 minute drive from every good restaurant I found on Yelp, and next to a play ground.
The room, however, was disgusting. When we entered, we noticed a smell coming from the bathroom. The carpets looked dirty. Faucet and countertop of the bathroom looked clean and fairly new, but the rest (tiles, toilet, shower) were old and looked dirty. Even the fresh towels brought in everyday kind if felt old.
We ate our breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but given the price, it wasn't worth it. The quality was average at best.
All in all, I hated spending any time at my room and taking shower in that bathroom, but loved being so close to the beach. My son loved the pool and the playground.
I will not return to this hotel unless they do a major renovation.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank hos584

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here for our one year anniversary, 3 nights.
Location: great, steps from the water. Front desk is also helpful, and pool looked sparkling and clean. Those are the positives.
Booked an ocean front room, which was clean and comfortable, but major construction began very early in the morning and was both loud and not really the view we had in mind. (Why no mention of hotel renovations and city construction on website?) I asked the front desk to please move us, they were very nice and agreed, although no upgrades nor comparable rooms were available. (Weird, since I checked their website reservation system and all rooms were open 2 hours later) we were told we would recieve a rate reduction for moving to a room with a lesser view. (Not enough time to see if this is accurate) new room was very dirty. Sand in shower, food on floor next to bed and molding filthy and peeling in bathroom. Housekeeping was called, no show. We were tired and just went to bed.
Walls: very thin. You can hear everything. Kids in pool can be heard until closing, family in next room had a conversation which we heard all of.
Next day: privacy sign taken off door at 9 am, at 3 pm no service. Called and received towels, bed made. Dirt remained in shower (we threw the old food away ourselves)
Restaurant: DO NOT EAT THERE! Our dinner was disgusting, I've had better (and much cheaper) at Applebee's. Bird poop on window (appetizing!) and very overpriced. Excellent waitress, however. Breakfast was no better, pancake runny in middle, rubbery bacon. Good coffee and fruit.
Tried to speak with management regarding these issues, perhaps a comp night or discount? Was told the general manager had to make these decisions since I booked through a 3rd party (Expedia) and he did not work until later in the day. We had to leave due to a long drive and were not able to resolve anything.
Overall: we spent quite a bit of money on our anniversary weekend, it would have been better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank Smlee9
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Since I live in San Diego and walk at La Jolla Shores frequently, we always end up at the Bar and Restaurant afterward. They face the ocean and it's great fun to watch the kayakers, paddle boarders and sun worshipers. The food is really good, as is the service. I haven't needed to stay at the hotel for a while, but when we did it was really clean and the service was great.

Room Tip: Pick a room with an ocean view. There's a little bit of street noise in the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeaniej2014
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Highly recommend. Rooms were clean and the staff was extremely nice and very accommodating. When my flight was cancelled I called the front desk to ask for a late checkout, they gave me a later than normal checkout, let me store my luggage until my ride came and allowed me to use the property. Location can not be beat, easy walk to a few restaurants and coffee shops. Huge perk is the free shuttle that takes you anywhere in La Jolla. Great Overall Stay!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 237blakec
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We spent four nights here and will definitely go again! The room was spacious, quiet, beachfront, and clean! The hot tub next to the pool was small, but became a nightly ritual. Days were spent walking on the beach and enjoying the local restaurants. The restaurant at this property was very nice as well! Lot's going on at the beach so spectating was fun and the sunsets were amazing!

Room Tip: Corner suites have a nice large deck.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I tried very hard to like this hotel. We wanted a quiet room room close to the beach, and we were willing to splurge on good quality. Our room was ideally situated, but it was VERY old, ragged, and dirty. There was some kind of dark chunky bits on the bath counter; We covered "it" with a wash cloth The room smelled strongly of mold and cleaning chemicals. The tub was plugged...took forever to drain. The toilet would sometimes siphon...releasing sewer smells into the room. The handle fell of the faucet. The worst thing of all, is that the city was doing heavy construction, right in front of our room and to the south. I think they were working on some kind of sewage outlet...the odor was disgusting. The noise started at 8 am and continued all day, sometimes until 8 pm. I mean large machine and many yelling workers. I clearly told them when making our reservation, that we must have a quiet room on an upper floor. They said nothing about this very large project. We were unlucky this time. We will return to this wonderful city often, We know where to stay next time. I hope this dump crumbles to the ground.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel! We spent over $1200 for 4 nights. There are much better places on the bea...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TimandCami
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights there and had a nice relaxing stay. The staff was accommodating when we asked to switch rooms due to the loud city construction on the South side of the building. We lucked out and got the bottom floor corner room (Rm 134) with ocean front view. The patio literally wrapped around the room an we enjoyed people watching, we liked watching the daily surfer lessons. The hotel is located about 3 miles away from what I would call downtown La Jolla where the majority of restaurants and shops are. They provided a free shuttle van (we tipped of course) daily until 10pm. There are still some great restaurants within walking distance that we loved! We ate at The Shores hotel restaurant one evening and the food was delicious! The prices were high but it was worth it for the table with ocean view and convenience of walking a few steps from our room. The staff was amazing!! Always so helpful and suggested some fun things for us to do/eat while we were there.

Room Tip: The ocean front room is well worth it at this hotel, you will enjoy the people watching and up close...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
#6 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!