“Great Location But In Need of Updating”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California
“Great Location But In Need of Updating”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I am very familiar with San Diego (used to live in the area) and have driven by this hotel many times over the years, but never stayed before. I recently returned to the area for business and decided to stay because of the location right on the sand (a surprisingly hard thing to find in San Diego). I went into it knowing the hotel was older, but honestly, I was surprised at the lack of updating and attention to detail. The first room checked into was on the first floor and it had two queen beds. Though it had an ocean view, I asked to be moved because it was so darn depressing. The front desk agent was very nice and helpful. The next room was better, as it was on a higher floor with a kitchenette. However, it was odd that the carpeting had absolutely no padding underneath (literally, carpeting put over the top of the concrete floor and very uncomfortable in bare feet). There must be very little insulation due to the hotel's age because you can hear every little sound - from noisy kids in the pool, to loud voices, to roller bags being pulled over the saltillo outside. The last night of the stay, I paid extra to move to a suite on the 3rd floor. The high ceiling and the views from the wrap around deck were great. This is the only room I would stay in if I were to return again (which I probably wouldn't), but there were still issues with peeling wallpaper, outdated furnishings, etc.. I understand that they don't update this property because they don't have to. People will pay the higher than average rates just to stay on the sand. I can also see how parts of this property might be charming to some people. The room service meal was mixed with the pizza being just awful, but the salad and dessert being good. The bed was comfortable and I did like hearing the sound of the ocean after the other loud noises stopped. Parking can be a challenge unless you pay extra to park in the garage. There is so much more they could do with this hotel if the owners took more pride in it.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Endless Summer L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is not the cheapest of hotels.. You pay for the fact it is right on the beach. It is dated too with a small pool full of noisy kids and lots of bird poo everywhere. Despite written requests with how many were sharing the room (2 adults & 2 older kids), the room we were given only had one double bed so we had to move. Yes, we were right on the beach but boy what a busy beach it is! Huge noisy machinery rolls on it at 3am to clean it for a couple of hours then by 6am all the surfing and kayak clubs are setting up! Good service on the beach as young students eager to set you up with chairs etc. Housekeeping could be better.. There were crackers under our bed on arrival and still there 5 days later!!!. It does have a certain charm and our room had a shrub near the door which attracted the most exquisite hummingbirds, but I wouldn't stay there again as it is overpriced for what it is.. There are cheaper and nicer places.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sunflowers20
Torrance, California, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Location is everything at La Jolla Beach. This hotel was nice and we had a great time. The third floor beach view room was great. They set up chairs and umbrellas for you to sit in the sand. Facilities were clean and staff was great. A couple of ping pong tables were used by the kids quite a bit. Food was very good but a little pricey.
Overall, this hotel was a good value. Rooms are a little aged but it is a beach hotel not a fancy resort. Everyone is casual and laid back. We would go again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved everything about this hotel. Yes, the property has been around the block a few times, but we felt the staff and other services made our stay one of our best beach vacations. We were less then 20 yards from the beach where they offer great beach service such as beach chairs, umbrellas and even a beach BBQ if requested. The view from both inside and outside the restuarant and lounge is beautful and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cindi C
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I just got back from a stay at La Jolla. This hotel can definitely use a makeover but to stay at a hotel on the beach in La Jolla, for this price, with this kind of customer service, I can over look the older decor. We were able to walk to great restaurants, a sundries store, rent kayaks, swim with sharks and seals, play at the park, and hang out on the beach (where the hotel sets up your chairs, towels and umbrella). So yes, be prepared, the hotel itself could be prettier, but everything else was stellar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChristieEllis
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We LOVED this hotel. We went to La Jolla Shores looking for a hotel we could spend most of our time at and be close to the beach. What we didn't know before our arrival is the ocean just a few yards from hotel door is a preserved area. Tourism was huge in the area. The beach was filled with snorkelers, scuba divers, kayaks, surfers, seals, sea lions, sharks (that don't bite humans), sting rays, and other sea life. The hotel dining experience was amazing because it was delicious and priced affordable. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. The cleaning ladies were amazing. This vacation was everything we wanted and more. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I read the reviews on here prior to booking the hotel and they are spot on....this is why I LOVE trip advisor! I will just give brief overview of my stay. To put this into perspective, I was leaving a Ritz Carlton in Dana Point and coming to La Jolla Shores.....PLEASE understand that at the Ritz you pay for the experience as well as incredibly nice rooms--At La Jolla Shores you are paying strictly for location. Yes the room was nice, I booked room 335 (Which I would book again), an oceanfront suite which was again, nice (Spacious, vaulted ceiling) but the quality is lacking. I have NO problem with this as I knew exactly what I was booking so I was not disappointed. However, had I not read the reviews I may have been somewhat confused with cost/quality.
That having been said, the location was PERFECT! I mapped out everything I wanted to do and was able to do even more than that due to the convenience of the way the city is mapped out as well as ease of getting places. It was on the weekend so I'm sure the lack of traffic worked in my favor. I had less than 48 hours in San Diego and was able to do everything I wanted. La Jolla Beach, Cove, saw the seals, Museum of Contemporary Art, the Living Room for coffee, dinner by La Jolla Beach and in downtown La Jolla, gelato, and then the few hours I had before needing to be at the airport I was able to briefly check out downtown San Diego. Shout out to Ben at the front desk of La Jolla Shores who not only gave me great recommendations on restaurants but walked me outside to put me in the right direction of them.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again and I would also recommend this to beach lovers who truly want a great overall experience, not afraid to pay a little extra for it, and not obsessive over the lack of marble sinks and pristine bedding.

Room Tip: 335-King bed suite all the way! Oceanfront, Sunset views, top floor! Why stay at the beach if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!