“Everything you need for an amazing beach vacation in one spot!”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Fort Collins, CO
“Everything you need for an amazing beach vacation in one spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We LOVED this hotel. We went to La Jolla Shores looking for a hotel we could spend most of our time at and be close to the beach. What we didn't know before our arrival is the ocean just a few yards from hotel door is a preserved area. Tourism was huge in the area. The beach was filled with snorkelers, scuba divers, kayaks, surfers, seals, sea lions, sharks (that don't bite humans), sting rays, and other sea life. The hotel dining experience was amazing because it was delicious and priced affordable. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. The cleaning ladies were amazing. This vacation was everything we wanted and more. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I read the reviews on here prior to booking the hotel and they are spot on....this is why I LOVE trip advisor! I will just give brief overview of my stay. To put this into perspective, I was leaving a Ritz Carlton in Dana Point and coming to La Jolla Shores.....PLEASE understand that at the Ritz you pay for the experience as well as incredibly nice rooms--At La Jolla Shores you are paying strictly for location. Yes the room was nice, I booked room 335 (Which I would book again), an oceanfront suite which was again, nice (Spacious, vaulted ceiling) but the quality is lacking. I have NO problem with this as I knew exactly what I was booking so I was not disappointed. However, had I not read the reviews I may have been somewhat confused with cost/quality.
That having been said, the location was PERFECT! I mapped out everything I wanted to do and was able to do even more than that due to the convenience of the way the city is mapped out as well as ease of getting places. It was on the weekend so I'm sure the lack of traffic worked in my favor. I had less than 48 hours in San Diego and was able to do everything I wanted. La Jolla Beach, Cove, saw the seals, Museum of Contemporary Art, the Living Room for coffee, dinner by La Jolla Beach and in downtown La Jolla, gelato, and then the few hours I had before needing to be at the airport I was able to briefly check out downtown San Diego. Shout out to Ben at the front desk of La Jolla Shores who not only gave me great recommendations on restaurants but walked me outside to put me in the right direction of them.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again and I would also recommend this to beach lovers who truly want a great overall experience, not afraid to pay a little extra for it, and not obsessive over the lack of marble sinks and pristine bedding.

Room Tip: 335-King bed suite all the way! Oceanfront, Sunset views, top floor! Why stay at the beach if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bethany721
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a beachfront unit with kitchen. Yes the room was a little dated, but it was clean and the views were wonderful. We were up early every day and were able to walk the beach or head to town to walk along the Cove. As far as issues, the air conditioning unit was not particularly effective and its location near the floor in the corner was difficult to get to and air floor was blocked by the bedside stand. The curtains that covered the wall to wall windows and door to the deck also were strangely situated. You had to open them all the way from left to right to clear the sliding door to the deck. It would have been nice to open the opposite way so you could open them just far enough to get out onto the deck, particularly if the other person wanted to continue sleeping.

The service was fine and the young men tending the beach chairs and towels were always nearby. You are charged $18 per night parking which I feel is nitpicky. For the price you pay it should just be included in the daily room rate. We would stay at the Shores again sometime. You can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I celebrated my 60th birthday with about 50 friends and family and several of us stayed the whole weekend in the beachfront rooms overlooking the ocean and beach. All of my guests said they had a wonderful time and what a beautiful place it was to hold a celebration party. The food was wonderful, the sunset was gorgeous and the sound of the ocean. It doesn't get any better than that.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but the beachfront room is my favorite. You can sit on your balcony and watch...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for our 34th wedding anniversary. After checking in, it was very difficult to find a place to park at the hotel. Finally squeezed into a parking spot and could hardly get out of our car. There was a sign up on our way to the elevator stating the sauna was broken. The elevator felt like it was going to break down as we went up to the floor where our room was located. The room looked like it had not been updated since the 60's. All of the furniture was dirty and the room smelled like there had been a couple of frat parties recently.
View was spectacular from our deck, however, there were bird droppings and food all over the deck. All of this for $600 per night. We quickly checked out and headed to the Marriott Marquis Hotel/Marina for $364 per night. Beautiful hotel and gorgeous views!!

3 Thank Janice B
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel and it met all of our expectations. Yes, it is dated. However, we did have one of the third floor costal rooms and the view was lovely. Our room was ready early and the staff was great. We did take advantage of the DVD library once. The bed was super comfortable, probably one of the best we have ever had in a hotel. We had a small kitchenette, which had more items than we expected.....a full size refridgerator, stove, dishes, pans, full set of kitchen knives. Von's grocery store is fairly close to the hotel. The only cons to this place is that you are charged $17 dollars a day for parking, and you have no alternatives. Since the beach is a public beach, the parking is very limited. In fact, never saw an empty space. The walls are thin, but if you turn on the AC, it drowns out some of the sound. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. Another tip.....skip George's at the Cove and have dinner in the hotel restaurant, you have a better view of the sunset.

Room Tip: Choose a second or third floor room. If you have a costal room it is across from the park and there...
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Lovely town and lovely views, but this hotel was built in 1970, and you can tell. Staff is great, and while it is very clean, I was not impressed with the room for the price. There are some great restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: You want the ocean side not ocean view