“Good stay with young children”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent a week at the Shores in the deluxe beach front king. It had a full galley style kitchen which worked great for preparing meals. We were able to crank out b/L/d easier than at home. Could have used a couple more bar stools though. Had a great private deck to watch sunsets and get away from the kids a night while they watched movies, (they had two tv's with dvd players).
They had guys on the beach to give us chairs, towels, and umbrellas. Don't forget to bring a little cash to tip these guys. The pool was warm and hot tub hot. They also had a little one foot deep separate pool for the very small ones.
Underground parking is a must with elevators all the way to the third floor.
The restaurant was a little too foo foo for family's. The cleaning service was great and thoughtful. One more thing, put two plush room chairs together to make a perfect toddler bed. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dslar
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

You learn a lot about folks when things go wrong. During a recent stay at the La Jolla Shores Hotel, the housekeeping staff lost my dry cleaning, which included my favorite pair of pants. The hotel conducted a thorough search, which turned up nothing. However, the staff was so friendly during the whole process, so engaged in the hunt, that I had the sense that they were really trying to find the clothes, to solve the mystery.

After a couple of weeks to looking, the front desk manager, Dave Mazzarelle, called off the search. He asked me to provide him with an approximate value for the clothes. This afternoon I received a check for the entire amount I requested, no questions asked. No painful insurance-claim experience. It was this simple: they said they were sorry and paid me fair and square. It's exactly what I hope I would have done if I'd been in their position.

I loved my stay at La Jolla Shores. I especially love how I was treated when my clothes disappeared. When I go back, I'm going to tell Dave, thank you, again. Jeff Bowden

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to La Jolla on Labor Day weekend 2012 for 2 nights. We've visited La Jolla before but we've never really stayed there, and I remembered I liked this hotel as it was the only one on the beach. We ended up booking a 1 bedroom suite. If it fits your budget , book a 1 bd suite(at that time we were able to book it for around $500/night), it was well worth it. There are only a few # of suites in this hotel. We had the corner suite. For one thing it's ocean front, and the balcony is to die for-it's really big. You pretty much see everything going on the beach from your balcony day/night. And the view of the sunset from there is amazing. The suite is complete with a separate bedroom, living room, dining room and full kitchen. The living room has a sofa bed, and if you need an additional rollaway, they give it to you for no extra charge. The one negative I didn't like about the hotel is the parking. While it's safe as it's an underground gated parking, it's small, and it can get full at night esp if it's a busy weekend. The location of this hotel can't be beat. You're pretty much right on the beach, and restaurants, a mini-mart, and activity centers to rent surf boards and kayaks are all walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The enjoyment of this exquisite location was lessened by the fact that the shuttle service was unavailable and the Sauna was out-of-order during our entire stay. Furthermore, the staff were not very accommodating when we requested three rooms in close proximity of each other as three families were traveling together on a special vacation.

Room Tip: Select a room at a higher level for a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tman629
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Currently staying here. Nice place but DO NOT accept a room on the south side of the building. This is where the loading dock and street with public access to the beach are located. While in our room, we heard nothing but a steady flow of trucks and metal carts coming and going.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SeeIngTheWorld987
Reviewed August 7, 2013

NOTHING beats an ocean front room ! and this one is actually relatively affordable.(stayed in june of 2012) Great size clean rooms, comfy beds, large balconies to enjoy sunsets and wine. Large open outdoor grounds with pool. The water of course was to cold to venture into, however there where many people in the water surfing with their trusty wetsuits. We did take a snorkling tour in the cove where we were provided with wetsuits, which made it perfect ! I would definately recommend the aquarium and and the snorkling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alex W, Manager at La Jolla Shores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay! Thank you for sharing the great pictures. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room and beautiful view. Snorkeling in La Jolla Cove is one of our more popular local activities. I hope you saw some great marine life!! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Alex W
Director of Operations

Reviewed August 7, 2013

For a family in So Cal, the ease of getting to LJS, the beauty of the beaches and the overall pleasantness can't be beat. I recommend this resort without hesitation. (I almost want to keep it a secret though, because it is SO crowded). You can swim, surf, sail, kayak, paddle, run, explore without getting in your car for a week at a time. I love that.

Room Tip: 1st floor is great if you have kids because they can roam the whole facility (which includes patios...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
#6 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!