“Nice”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed December 20, 2012

First off... great location right on the beach. Bed was nice and comfortable. The room was also nice. Everything was CLEAN!!! We got an ocean front room and we fell asleep to the ocean each night. We ordered a crib and it was clean and actually a real crib. They also had a little stuffed bear in it that had "La Shores" on it. Nice touch!! The pool area was nice. The pool was cold for our taste, but they claim it was set to 85 degrees I think??? The hot tub was nice. Actually have a small kid baby pool. But again it was too cold for us. There is a nice little park just a short walk up the beach for the kids..

Hear are some "not so good" things to think about---
-Way too expensive for what you get. (We paid the extra $$ for an oceanfront because we wanted to hear the ocean but that was the ONLY reason we spent the extra money to stay at this hotel)
-They will charge you $16 a night for parking.
-Staff members are friendly, but you still have to ask for new towels. ( we got back from being at Sea World all day and the room had not even been touched.)
- The food was not good at all. We ate pizza for room service and it was just "OK". We ate at the restaurant down stairs that looks over the ocean and it was not good at all. I left half my breakfast on the table. How can you screw breakfast up?? Food was also way expensive.

Over all we had a nice time at La Jolla Shores. I would have given it 5 out of 5 if we had spent less. But at over $300 a night, it just was not up to expectations. Would we go back????? Maybe, but I am pretty certain that I will try something else on my next visit. If we had not gotten the ocean view room, I would have been very unsatisfied with the hotel.

Room Tip: If you choose this hotel. Get the ocean view...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dustin W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is the best we've ever stayed at from the staff who checks us in, the housekeeping staff, security, and dining room staff. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and always clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: 2nd story rooms have a view of the Pacific Ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bob C
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay for a few days or longer, Your Gona Love This!!! The Staff at this property are so wonderful and very very nice people. Somethimes hard to find. The room was very very comfortable, and well appointed. Bed was Pillow Top :] WaHoo! With a drop dead view right off your balcony, if that's what you decided on. Just wonderful, my husband and I will be back to this location!

Room Tip: Really love the ocean view room. Second or Third floor would avoid the board walk foot traffic.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Would definitely recommend this hotel, the staff in particular were every professional, efficient, warm and friendly. In its prime it must have been a beautiful property. It has aged but seems to be taken care of and that is probably what makes it so affordable.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was lost, it was dark and raining, and I was looking for the hotel I had reserved in vain, and stumbled upon the Shores and went in to use the rest room - and to my surprise, it was incredibly relaxing and inviting and I was weary so I inquired about a room and got a lovely king room with a sea view for a reasonable rate. Had a business engagement that evening but the next morning had a business associate come to the hotel for breakfast - spectacular sea/beach view and divine breakfast that was also incredibly reasonable. I asked for a late check out so I could enjoy the view and relax before hitting the road to LA - I would go back here in a HEARTBEAT!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed December 2, 2012

If this had not been a business trip and the room paid fro by my company I would not have considered the La Jolla shores,
The hotel is right on the beach. It covers a whole block and is three stories high.
Coming in to La Jolla on 52 exit La Jolla Shores Drive (Right exit) at first lights turn left onto Avenida de la palya. Follow the road to the beach and you can't miss the hotel.
There are 15 minute parking spaces outside the front of the hotel. Check in staff were friendly and accommodating though tend to push the hotel facilities a little above outside concerns.
We wanted a king bed and were initially told there were none available at check in but the clerk did eventually tell us there was one but we would not like it as there was no view. Our initial booking was for a sea view room so I guess the clerk took that to heart. We opted for the no view room.
Third floor front of the hotel (inland side) there was a wall in-front of the balcony but there was something of a view either side.
Rooms were clean but very dated in decor. The hotel was being refurbished while we were there so perhaps things will get better. I suspect without a major remodeling there will be little change however.
Wifi worked well the balcony was pleasant for sitting and reading.
The bathroom heater did not function and had probably not done so since the seventies but the place was warm so it was not needed on this occasion. The room was fairly noisy but closing the additional door between the bathroom and bedroom dampened it considerably.
Parking is free on the street and safe but read the signs about street sweeping days. You will get a ticket if you park on the street during cleaning hours. I can see no reason why anyone would pay the $16 a day to park at the hotel or why they charge such a high rate. The shores restaurant was ok with good service and reasonable food just a little overpriced for my taste.
Overall we enjoyed out stay but I would not consider staying here if this had been a personal trip. There just was no justification for the rates charged other than location.

Room Tip: the further away from the elevators you are the quieter the room will be (less traffic)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!