“Great Beach Vacation”

La Jolla Shores Hotel
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was a fabulous hotel for our family. We had abeach view room for the 3 of us: one adult and 2 kids ages 11 and 13. I put the roll-away bed at the foot of one of the queens and it was not an inconveniece to walk around it. We were on the first floor with easy beach access and close to the restaurant. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Neighbors upstairs were alittly noisy at night and it took me a day to figure out that a window in the bathroom was open so noises from ouside could be heard in the morning. Once I closed it, outside noise was not a problem. The room was simple, but if it were a Four Seasons, I would have pain three times as much. Breakfast was wonderful in the restaurant. We could see all the morning beach action: surfers, kayakers, scuba divers and those just taking a stroll.

The pool was nice. Not very big. Hot tub was too small and lack of restriction of small children in the tub was a problem. Most every afternoon, there were small kids (some only a few months old!) with swim diapers in the tiny hot tub. Parents had no consideration for adults that wanted to use the tub and staff made no effort to keep them out. A sign saying "No chidren under 6 allowed in hot tub" would have been welcome. Poolside menu was nice, but I was disappointed with the mixed drinks. The glass held about 6 ounces and was filled with ice, so I figured I pain $10 for 3 ounces of a mixed drink. As luck would have it, the curte little town that is a 2 block walk from the hotel had a market that sells liquor. They have a nice wine selection which provided me with a more economical way of enjoying and alcoholic beverage poolside. I also picked up some drinks for the kids and stored them in the fridge in the room.

Within walking distance is an amazing Italian restaurant: Piatti. Sit on the patio and enjoy the atmophere under the beautiful ficus. Barbarella was good as well, but it is a bit crowded as the outdoor seating flanks the sidewalk and peaople have to squeeze by those waiting to dine.

The free shuttle made dining in the main part of LaJolla easy. The driver took us right to our restaurant and picked us up within 5 mins of calling the hotel, calling me on my cell to get my exact location. We ate at Ropponji one night and the food was incredible.

The beach was wonderful. Chairs and umbrellas are complemenary, but I tipped $5 to $10 each day depending on our group size as I had 2 local families spend the day with us on the beach. Bring water shoes as the sting rays can be a problem if you step on them.

This was a great beach trip and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a beach view on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Jolla Shores Hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I cannot say enough about the front desk staff. They were magnificent. The hotel restaurant seves a nice menu with extra touches and the wait staff is friendly and really good at what they do. The hotel location was incredible (right across a concrete short wall from the beach) and the hotel services were just right. Beach chairs, umbrellas and towels are available for guests at no extra charge. Everything you need to have a great family adventure or great couples get-away. Went as a couple, but we plan to return with family. The room was clean and appeared to be recently updated. The pool is small, but really well kept and convenient. There is a park adjacent to the hotel and a lot of rooms (if not all) have small outdoor seating areas. A shout out to Ben at the front desk. I hope the hotel management knows what a gem of an employee he is. He embodies hospitality and great customer service.

The beach can be pretty crowded and not especially clean (public beach with much seaweed and flies, at times), but we still loved our day there.

I hope this hotel is successful. It is a La Jolla gem!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great location for a family vacation. Staff is always very friendly and professional. The only negative thing is they could do a better job in cleaning the rooms/bathrooms. I also suggest taking your own bathroom paper cups as they do not give you clean glasses everyday they just rinse out the glasses in your room.

Room Tip: I like the 3rd floor as it has vaulted ceilings which give the room a bigger feeling.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It's a little unnerving but you can't help but smile at the little ones discovering a clam or a jellyfish (ugh!) or a splashy cannonball into the pool or even that the jacuzzi bubbles are soft and hard at the same time. I have been coming to (formerly) Sea Lodge for over 25 years. First with my new husband (dink), then with our young children, and most recently it was our daughter's choice for celebrating her 21st. For dinner, I don't know if it is more fun to arrange for a barbecue setup and watch the sun set, walk into the North Shores village and have supper at one of a handfull of really friendly eateries, or order a pizza and break out a bottle of wine on the deck that is part of almost every room. This place is really a treat.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is a gem. It is not overly fancy but it is clean and very convenietly located. We have been going here for 20 years. We just spent 5 nights here in June without our kids. It was heaven. We ate most of our meals here also and really enjoyed having the barbeque set up on the beach one evening. It is well worth the $25 fee for the barbeque, table with table cloth, 4 chairs and grilling utensils and coals. We just brought the steaks, salads and paper plates!

The meals in the dining room are expensive, but very good. Seafood and happy hour are the best and we enjoyed sitting out on the patio to watch the sunsets. We were really lucky to have clear blue skies and perfect weather all week. It is much more crowded in the summer months, but that is to be expecrted. We have also stayed here in October and there were very few people on the beach and the weather is still great, but cooler.

We had a garden courtyard view room with a king bed. We liked this the best of all previous stays as some rooms are noisy with truck noise in the early mornings. We wish that the buffet breakfast was still offered as in the past. It was a great deal and got us out to the beach sooner!

We tried to get to the hot tub but it was always filled with adults and or children. We wish there was another hot tub available in the gardern courtyard area.

It is so convenient to wake up and just walk out to the beach. Attendants are there to set up your beach chairs, umbrellas and towels. Please tip them since they are out on the beach at your service all day and pick up the chairs and towels at the end of the day. We do wish that the hotel did not charge hotel guests for parking though. There is really no where else to park and street parking is limited.

We are already booked for our next stay! We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Garden patio are less expensive and quieter than pool view rooms. We had room 310 and loved it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you're a surfer, kayak-er or just a plain lover of the ocean, this is a superb location. The problem with that is that it brings people flooding to the area so that at almost every moment of the day, there is hustle, bustle and noise around the hotel. We were forced to check out early because we hadn't slept more than 8 hours over four days there. The noise factor is significant particularly where our room was located, which was the access road to the boat ramp and beach.

The rooms are now very tired and need a complete renovation. They feel slightly damp and very worn and don't smell very nice. The patio door was hard to slide open and when my wife tried to open the window, it fell out of the frame onto her. It was dangerous and could have ended up with her in casualty.

Although we had paid for seven nights, the manager was wonderful in understanding our concerns and had no problem refunding us for the remaining three nights. I should say that all of the staff at this hotel were so sweet and so willing to make us feel welcome and comfortable. I think they do the very best they can with what they have.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the boat ramp!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We found your hotel online and decided to try it. We were pleasantly surprised at arrival of the ambiance, friendliness of staff, and how welcome we felt. The hotel was steps away from the ocean and the availability of chairs, towels, and umbrellas took away the stress of having to bring all they with us. The beach and hotel were clean and beautiful. We have already recommended you to others and will definitely return !

• Stayed: June 2012
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!