New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grande Colonial La Jolla

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Tustin, California
“Romantic with great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

Went with my hubby for our anniversary. It was very romantic, clean, and modern. We absolutely loved the NINETEN restaurant of the hotel. Their prixe fix menu was outstanding. Would definitely go again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

I put together a group of 15 rooms for a weekend gathering. The Grande Colonial staff was expert at helping facilitate all airport transfers and events. The guests all felt pampered and happy with the hotel. The bar is a fun place to hang out. The restaurant is excellent and has and excellent atmosphere. The pool is lovely and makes for a nice afternoon. I recommend the Grande Colonial!

• Stayed November 2010
Hermosa Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

I stayed here for a meeting with colleagues in September. What a great place. The hotel is perfectly situated in La Jolla and it seemed like they had recently put some money into it. My room was kind of old-school classy with oversized couches and chairs. They had to put in the big furniture or the room would of looked empty...it was HUGE! What I really loved is the windows opened up so you could hear the ocean at night, and could take advantage of that wonderful sea air. We ate most all of our meals onsite...I wish it would of been every meal. The food was spectacular...creative and delicious. During our meetings, if we needed anything, they were there to help. This is a great hotel and I'll definitely be back with family in the near future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

I work for a company coordinating training groups that regularly stay in the La Jolla area. We have been using The Grande Colonial for several years and have routinely experienced first-rate service, facilities and attention to detail. The friendly staff is consistently professional and extremely efficient. Accomodations are lovely and well-appointed and the food is always excellent. Based on all of the positive comments we have received, we will continue to hold our group meetings at The Grande Colonial and would recommend them without reservation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I was looking for an off-the-beaten path location to host my team for a few days; and, zeroed in on La Jolla. As I didn't have much insight to the area, I really dug through online reviews and websites of the various higher-end properties. After interviewing a couple of the sales manager's, I chose this property because it was obvious over the phone that they wanted our business, were willing to earn it, and were a very service-oriented boutique property within walking distance of really anything in the area.

My onsite experiences far exceeded my initial hopes as the staff was extremely accommodating, warm, friendly, and took a sincere interest in the success of our meeting.

I've stayed at numerous properties of this caliber, as I travel extensively on business; and, I can honestly say that I never experienced one bit of attitude...which is quite rare! To the contrary, I felt like we were staying with old friends!

To boot, the onsite restaurant is one of the best in La Jolla....which really accentuated our stay and the meals we had throughout our meeting. The conceirge went out of her way to help us arrange a number of dinners and extracurricular activities! Finally, the sales manager (ask for Audra) and executive meeting specialist (ask for Libby) treated us like royalty...loved the truffles and I simply can't get those cinnamon rolls out of my mind!

We'll be back for another meeting; but, I'm really looking forward to another trip with my wife for a romantic getaway! This is the perfect spot for either!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

My company has used this hotel for past 6+ years and we continually receive positive feedback. Would recommend this hotel to all business and pleasure travellers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

The Grande Colonial is my favorite hotel in the United States for holding small conferences. I organize conferences all over the country and overseas, and I have not encountered such a friendly and professional staff in any other place. They are all superb. I've been coming back to the Grande Colonial for the past six years and I plan to keep working with them. They are always on top of everything, and they always have the right sort of attitude. You have the sense that they truly care about what they do. Also, contrary to what happens in many nice hotels, their food is excellent. We choose to have some our dinners in some of the many restaurants are at walking distance for a change of scenery, but in terms of quality their restaurant is probably the best. Finally, it is worth noting what a wonderful job they do in keeping their historic building in such a pristine form.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Empress Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!