“I echo one of the previous reviews- "Overrated"”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed January 31, 2010

On the recommendations of fellow Trip Advisors, my husband and I stayed at The Grande Colonial for one night in Room 217.

PROS:
- Room: contemporary decor, comfortable bed, and large room
-Walking distance of restaurants, bars, shops and tow path along the ocean

CONS:
-Price
-Staff was slightly pretentious
-Shower and sink were both clogged
-Expensive valet parking (we parked on the street for free)

Advice- look at other hotel options.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, Director of Marketing at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2010

Dear NJGirlSeeingtheWorld:
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is only with this type of feedback that we can continue to improve our facilities and service. Rest assured that I will have our maintenance staff immediately check on the problems you experienced with your shower and sink. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I do hope you will come back and visit us in the future.
Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing
Grande Colonial

There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband "recommended" this hotel based on the review from Trip Advisor! We were very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Couldn't do enough to make us happy, including giving us an upgrade to a better room (to a junior suite with and oceanview!). I was sorry that we didn't have more time to stay. The hotel has a certain historical charm that adds to the experience.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2009

We spent five wonderful nights at the Grand Colonial. The service was superb in the room, the front desk and in the restaurant. The front desk people are your travel guides providing driving tips, maps, and brochures. You also definitely want to add a breakfast package. The food is very good and the value is terrific~ full course plus plus breakfast for 2 is only $20. We got the valet parking option for our rental car. The car hops were fast and friendly! This cost us a little money but was worth it.
The room was suite-like spacious, clean, chalked full of amenities, including excellent morning coffee in the front desk area.. Every day we were also given on a complimentary basis 4 bottles of water 2 bags of chips, candy bars, and other treats. The hotel, which is in excellent shape and looks to have been newly remodeled, is located above LaJolla Cove. It has a beautiful view and is 5 minutes from the "seal beach" where you always see between 40-100 seals resting on the sand or enjoying the water.

Here is a tip. In October, we were able to beat the quoted price on the hotel website by looking at room options at Experian or other bulk marketers of rooms. The hotel gave us a better deal than the bulk marketers. Now we were there in October and there is no guarantee that you will get this rate in prime season.

If you asked us what is wrong with this place, I would not know what to say.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VAChuck
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We just got back from a 4 night stay here. Loved this hotel. VERY clean, excellent location, almost all employees were exceptionally friendly. Shane, the front desk supervisor, was so very helpful and so friendly. Always greeted us with an enthusiastic smile and was full of great advice. He went above and beyond to make sure our stay was excellent. Give him a raise!! :) We ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast every day and it was delicious, and the wait staff so friendly...especially our waitress on the last day, a girl from Wisconsin. But everyone was exceptional. Room was quite large, would have liked a much brighter light over counter area. Pool was spotless. Would def stay here again. Stay here if you can.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bev042660
GrandeColonial, Director of Marketnig at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

Dear bev042660:
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments about Shane. He is personally one of my favorites and I'll certainly get to work on lobbying on your behalf for that raise. :) Meanwhile, thanks again and I do hope you will have the chance to visit us again sometime soon. Happy holidays.

Reviewed October 4, 2009

I stayed in one of their newer rooms and paid a lot. I had a horrible time here from start to finish, from rude person making my appointment to arrogant hostesses to offensive check-out. I don't ask for a lot. You can check my other reviews. IMO, this place sucks and I can't believe I paid so much to be treated so poorly. I would never come back or recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank Dvine1_Cali
GrandeColonial, Director of Marketing at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2009

I am so sorry to read your comments about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial. Please know that our staff strives to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests and I hope you will give us an opportunity to exceed your expecations during your next visit to La Jolla. Meanwhile, I do thank you for bringing to our attention your dissatisfaction. It is only through this type of engagement with our customers that we can continue to improve our level of service and quality in all areas of our hotel.

Leslie Araiza
Director of Marketing
GRANDE COLONIAL HOTEL

Reviewed September 24, 2009

Stayed there for four nights, and wish we could stay there a lot longer. Perfect location, in the center of the village and right on La Jolla Cove. Very short walk down the hill to the most magnificant shoreline you could hope for.
Room was very well maintained, and extremely comfortable. Bathroom was huge and very well decorated. Very friendly and helpful staff throughout.
I recommend this hotel to anyone for any length of time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank domerPA
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I was here for a 4 day conference. Lovely grande dame hotel right smack in downtown La Jolla (San Diego's Beverly Hills, as it were). Short walk to the ocean, which I could see from my window. The hotel has several corner-cutting drawbacks, however, which preclude any higher grade, in my opinion: 1) there is no gym, which is inexcusable ($15 gets you a one-day pass at a nearby commercial gym, but this is no reason not to sacrifice a guest room and install exercise machines); 2) the swimming pool is puny (3.5 feet deep and tiny) and essentially for show; 3) The hotel information packet says that USA Today will be replaced by a San Diego paper in front of our doors on weekends, but no such paper was forthcoming, and when I went to the front desk to fetch one I was told they were not stocked; 4) there are no coffee machines in the guest rooms. I expect more from a hotel in this category.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business