“Great hotel....even better location”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I decided to treat my family to a short trip to La Jolla and found The Grand Colonial Hotel via Frommer's. I couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. The hotel is located smack dab in the middle of the village -- walking distance of the seals at the Children's Pool, the famous Cove (where La Jolla Kayak took us out on a fabulous kayak tour of the caves) and plenty of great shopping and food! I have always loved La Jolla but have never had an opportunity to stay here. We've always just spent a few hours visiting while in town. But we have now discovered that there is so much to do in this community that staying outside of La Jolla just doesn't make sense. And The Grand Colonial is the perfect place from which to explore. The staff was extremely gracious and knowledgeable about the area. Our room was fabulous. There are no screens on the windows, which is so nice because the ocean air just flows right into the room. We also hear they will be doing an upgrade of all the room interiors later this year, which will only make it that much better. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant, Nine Ten, but will next time. We hear that is great too and you can eat outside on a deck that overlooks the water! We highly recommend La Jolla and The Grand Colonial for your next getaway!

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 8, 2006

You can't beat the location of this hotel and if you get an ocean view it really is heaven. The amount you pay for parking is ridiculous but what hotel doesn't charge for valet? And to make up for it the valet guys are great! Much unlike the front desk staff who are annoyed and rude 24/7. Don't worry though they wont acknowledge you are there anyways so you don't have to interact with them. The restaraunt is amazing - some of the best and fresh food we've had -ever.

Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2006

Last year we stayed at the Grande Colonial with partial ocean view & were really disappointed. We loved the architecture & the light, airy rooms. We thought it would be a once in a lifetime stay. However, I figured out a way to go back for 5 days this May. We paid for the full ocean view on the fifth floor. We loved it there.! Being on an upper floor avoided a lot of ground noise & provided views of the Pacific Ocean that were gorgeous(Bring binoculars) ! We never rent a car & so avoid the $16 a day parking. We walk everywhere we can & take a taxi if we can't. We always try to stay in older, historic hotels & are rarely disappointed. What they lack in convenience, they make up for in charm. We had a little sitting area & a decent sized bathroom. The beds are comfy & the maids are friendly & accomodating, as is the rest of the staff. People have to understand that when they stay in historic hotels, each room is unique in lay out & design. That's what we love about them. People who want every convenience & predictability with "cookie cutter" rooms might be happier in the bigger chains. We'll always treasure our memories of "THe Grande"!
KH,Colorado

4  Thank 12journey
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Grande Colonial for four nights in May. It is a wonderful, unique hotel - we just loved everything about it. The rooms were very nicely decorated, although older, but it added to the charm. The beds were the absolute best I've ever slept in! The bathroom was a little small for 2 women and all our stuff, could use an extra shelf or two to put things on. There was a nice dressing table to use out in the room, however. The room was spotless and the service was excellent. Location was great and within walking distance to all the shops, beaches and restaurants. The terrace and gardens in the back of the hotel were beautiful and the pool was very nice with comfortable lounge chairs. We loved the lobby and enjoyed relaxing there and people watching. The boys at the valet in front were great and always greeted us with a friendly smile.

Don't miss George's rooftop dining and their fish tacos (still my favorite restaurant!), and The Crab Catcher was outstanding. Don't waste your money on the Top Of the Cove - not good service unless you're a big tipper. The Marine Room is definitely a place to go and see, although it's a bit pricy, but well worth the view and the food. Can hardly wait for my next visit to beautiful La Jolla. I will definitely stay at the Grande Colonial!

6  Thank caspernl
Reviewed May 23, 2006

My wife and I visited La Jolla for the first time from 5/12 - 5/16. In searching for a hotel, I was tempted to take the safe route and choose one of the "big chains" where I was confident the rooms would be clean and hotel management would be responsible. I would have missed out on a great hotel if I had done that! We had a partial oceanview room which had a nice patio attached along with the typical amenities. It was clean and average size for a hotel room (20'X20'?). The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful in guiding us around the area on our explorations. I think the location is about as good as it gets in La Jolla as it is near all the shopping and restaurants and about 2 blocks from the ocean and the sea lion hang-out. You certainly will pay a little more for the location and quality of the hotel, but I recommend doing it. We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast at the NINE-TEN too!

3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We had an oceanview room in the colonial suites building and it was just wonderful. It was a suite with loads of space. The hotel is in a great location, is spotless and is beautifully done-no glitz! The valet fellas are great and front desk just as good. I did not see another hotel I'd rather stay at. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank vkaplan
Reviewed April 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Colonial for 5 days in April. It is a lovely historical hotel with a fabulous location. The wonderful stores on Girard Street are right outside the door, and La Jolla Cove is right down the street where you can walk for a mile along a beautiful paved path along the shores of the Pacific Ocean. The lobby is lovely with fresh flowers each day. The carpet is a bit tired and some of the walls are in need of fresh paint; but overall, it is a real find.

• Stayed: April 2006
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!